Dolphins Have $4.8mm Cap Space Going to $23.3mm June 1, Next Year Down From ~$65mm to $35mm | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Have $4.8mm Cap Space Going to $23.3mm June 1, Next Year Down From ~$65mm to $35mm

I'm just not convinced that any of the remaining FA Guards would be much, if any, actual improvement.

At this point, these guys are probably more name than game. Add in the fact that older guys are a bit more fragile and have likely lost a step-- which will kill you in a zone system-- I think I'll pass for now.
while i agree with that, the problem is the guys we have here now, none can be relied on and the draft is still a bit of a crap shoot, you never know. eichenberg seems no good, rob jones untested and hasnt looked great, isiah wynn always hurt, good pass blocker but can't run block. etc. i am worried about the new centers ability to pass block too. so could easily argue we still need two more guards. i just think if there was a decent vet out there to be had on decent terms, it is a nice security blanket. the last thing we need is more problems with the OL

while i agree with that, the problem is the guys we have here now, none can be relied on and the draft is still a bit of a crap shoot, you never know. eichenberg seems no good, rob jones untested and hasnt looked great, isiah wynn always hurt, good pass blocker but can't run block. etc. i am worried about the new centers ability to pass block too. so could easily argue we still need two more guards. i just think if there was a decent vet out there to be had on decent terms, it is a nice security blanket. the last thing we need is more problems with the OL
Disagree with a lot of that.
Eichenberg looked quite good for a series of games before he was forced to move to the Center position. His pff grades were even respectable. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when he takes the RG job... and keeps it.
Jones is FAR from untested. He's played a lot of snaps and performs at a league average level. He's not a starter, but he's not bad.
Wynn... is always hurt. No lies detected there. I would NEVER count on him to start.
Brewer will be fine... he may be an upgrade.

Wynn is the weak link, and he'll only hold the job until the rookie is ready to go, then... he or Jones will be in trouble.

Disagree with a lot of that.
Eichenberg looked quite good for a series of games before he was forced to move to the Center position. His pff grades were even respectable. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised when he takes the RG job... and keeps it.
Jones is FAR from untested. He's played a lot of snaps and performs at a league average level. He's not a starter, but he's not bad.
Wynn... is always hurt. No lies detected there. I would NEVER count on him to start.
Brewer will be fine... he may be an upgrade.

Wynn is the weak link, and he'll only hold the job until the rookie is ready to go, then... he or Jones will be in trouble.
well coincidentally i just noticed this, sounds like the Dolphins are still looking for a veteran guard, wonder who it is sounds like they have someone specific in mind. btw if you believe what you do which is eichenberg is good, jones is average, and the new center is an upgrade from connor williams, who was very good, there would be no reason to use the first round pick on another guard:

Last edited:
We still need to add in FA and or the draft.

WR3
DE/OLB2 to start opposite Barrett early in the season and give us depth when Phillips and Chubb return
Veteran DB to improve depth maybe Tre'Davious White post June 1
Another starting caliber O-lineman who can play OT
Replacement for Wilkins
White signed with the Rams

So...Sanders goes from almost a 5 million hit to only 700k or so if designated June 1st....hrmmm...decent savings but as always...who replaces him?

Armstead savings is substantial and would essentially offset Howard's dead hit...I see that happening as I see him retiring

well coincidentally i just noticed this, sounds like the Dolphins are still looking for a veteran guard, wonder who it is sounds like they have someone specific in mind. btw if you believe what you do which is eichenberg is good, jones is average, and the new center is an upgrade from connor williams, who was very good, there would be no reason to use the first round pick on another guard:

In other words... if you are still available, we know you'll be cheap.

So...Sanders goes from almost a 5 million hit to only 700k or so if designated June 1st....hrmmm...decent savings but as always...who replaces him?

Armstead savings is substantial and would essentially offset Howard's dead hit...I see that happening as I see him retiring
Armstead is 100% gone after this year. We'll make him a June cut.

too much money for sanders in my view. same for the punter

Armstead is 100% gone after this year. We'll make him a June cut.
am starting to wonder if we spend all of this years space that frees up, OR if we don't and let a fair bit of it roll over to next year to give us some more cushion....i wouldnt be surprised by the latter at this point but we will see

ps this whole thing is reminding of dawn aponte, remember her? she was the capologist in the jeff ireland days. that whole regime was toxic. amazing she stuck around as long as she did, and then i think somehow worked her way into the league office, where she still holds a pretty senior job.

Actually, Dawn Aponte is very highly regarded in NFL circles. She was also a candidate for the GM job for the Chargers these last few months. She is currently the "Chief Administrator of NFL Operations" and pretty senior in the NFL hierarchy.

Back
Top Bottom