Drafting OLB Verse at #21 overall may signal a parting with Chubb | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting OLB Verse at #21 overall may signal a parting with Chubb

Chubb is a valuable asset and rates pretty well in objective stats (for example better pass rush and run stop win rates than Nick Bosa last year, though the latter was double teamed far more often).

He may be overpaid but there is no short term fix for that and the Fins are better with him than without. Phillips unarguably became more successful after Chubb arrived. He is only 27 and will probably get better once recovered from the injury.

High level talent--even overpaid high level talent--is scarce in the NFL and bringing in Chubb was the kind of costly but necessary move to meet the current window of contention. Ditto for Armstead and Hill. Longer term we will hopefully acquire an increasing share of our top talent through the draft and selectively trade some of it for picks before having to overpay for contract extensions. Or just don't extend and take the comp picks and continue the restocking process.

I think we are coming off so many injuries that this would not be wise to trade Chubb, but I could see them adding more talent to the defense.

1714068717483.png

:ffic:

Great post. Chubb is a good player, but in retrospect that was a bad trade for Miami.

Chubb's contract was problematic as well, most likely costing the team Wilkins, a player who never missed a game for the Dolphins.

Verse is high on my list. I think his age could drop him to Miami. If he was 21, I think Verse would be in the conversation first defensive player selected.

Last edited:
Why was Chubb in the Game at that point? If our coach was smarter the money spent and pick seemed like it was about to work out for once. Mc Daniel got to get out of his own head.

Why was Chubb in the Game at that point? If our coach was smarter the money spent and pick seemed like it was about to work out for once. Mc Daniel got to get out of his own head.
Rarely do I agree with you. And I still don't lol.

Just kidding. In hindsight yeah all starters should have been pulled.

The value of what Chubb would bring back in a trade doesn't come remotely close to the value we get from him being on the roster. He's not going anywhere this season.

Chubb's actual salary is about 20m/year. ...and before you start quoting CAP numbers to me, understand that this is merely a reflection of money that he has already received... that money is gone.

His TRUE salary is 20m/year in new money for 2025, 2026, and 2027.

That's low for an 11 sack player who also plays the run well. If he returns to full strength, he is going nowhere. No matter how much some hate him.

Chubbster was a man for us after Jaelan went down. He was probably impacting the game more than I've ever seen, until he got hurt.

No matter who we pick where, I hope it doesn't impact our Chubb in the slightest.

Chubb will be gone after 2024 as Post June 1st designation. Saving Miami $20m in 2025.
Chubb has a $2.7M signing proration in 2025/2026 and a $6.4M restructure proration in 2025/2026/2027 (and a $2.8M restructure proration in 2028 when his contract is already over). Pretty sure post June 1st designation would lump all those hits into dead cap for the following season. I think it is more likely that he will be here at least 2 more seasons.

Chubb's actual salary is about 20m/year. ...and before you start quoting CAP numbers to me, understand that this is merely a reflection of money that he has already received... that money is gone.

His TRUE salary is 20m/year in new money for 2025, 2026, and 2027.

That's low for an 11 sack player who also plays the run well. If he returns to full strength, he is going nowhere. No matter how much some hate him.

Ya if only we could play Carolina, New England and the NYJ's every week. Even his sack against Dallas was unblocked. Very few instances of him actually beating a OT with a pass rush move and not just being the beneficiary of another players pass rush.

He lacks true pass rush moves. He needs stunts, a QB to hold onto the ball too long or someone else to flush the QB out of the pocket. Or he needs to be facing Mekhi Becton.

Too his credit, he hustles and doesn't give up but he definitely is nothing special when it comes to rushing the passer. He doesn't have what Jaelen Phillips has, in terms of talent.

He's nothing special and I certainly wish we had those picks and contract back. AVG was better at beating OT's than Chubb was, last year.

Chubb has a $2.7M signing proration in 2025/2026 and a $6.4M restructure proration in 2025/2026/2027 (and a $2.8M restructure proration in 2028 when his contract is already over). Pretty sure post June 1st designation would lump all those hits into dead cap for the following season. I think it is more likely that he will be here at least 2 more seasons.
Ok thanks, I was using OTC figures for 2025.

Back
Top Bottom