Extensions vs Cap Space | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Extensions vs Cap Space

Thanks for posting!

It is beginning to look like Grier and Co. have planned this out pretty well.....
I've always felt a sign of a good GM, will always be thinking 2-3 yrs in advance. While also realizing when it's time to cut the cord on older players, and extending the younger more dynamic contributors.

This year was the year that I was really concerned with. They did better than expected. I don't think next year's team will be as talented as this past year, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. We lost good players and replaced with lesser talent. We will see what the draft brings and maybe more additions will follow after June 1st.

This year was the year that I was really concerned with. They did better than expected. I don't think next year's team will be as talented as this past year, especially on the offensive and defensive lines. We lost good players and replaced with lesser talent. We will see what the draft brings and maybe more additions will follow after June 1st.
Hopefully the new defensive system can somehow compensate for the loss of Wilkins.
I hated losing Hunt, but he is a guard, and again, hopefully, they can come close to replacing him in the draft. I think that is a much more reasonable task than replacing Wilkins.

I agree with you. If you trust some sources our pass blocking grade was so bad that we were ranked 31 out of 32 teams. That means Tua and the offense was effective on air because the impressive quick release of Tua and quick decision making designed for our offense. If that’s true (and I believe it’s true), then adding more speed at WR, TE and RB could be the quickest solution. Instead of adding three OL that are very good to replace our Eichenbergs, we can focus on adding lots of weapons to improve the results against teams that take out our first two reads. I believe improvements on the offense will depend upon having an improved and healthy Achane, having a better TE (Jonu) and having a very good WR3 (OBJ / Draft).

I agree with you. If you trust some sources our pass blocking grade was so bad that we were ranked 31 out of 32 teams. That means Tua and the offense was effective on air because the impressive quick release of Tua and quick decision making designed for our offense. If that’s true (and I believe it’s true), then adding more speed at WR, TE and RB could be the quickest solution. Instead of adding three OL that are very good to replace our Eichenbergs, we can focus on adding lots of weapons to improve the results against teams that take out our first two reads. I believe improvements on the offense will depend upon having an improved and healthy Achane, having a better TE (Jonu) and having a very good WR3 (OBJ / Draft).
The OLine fell apart with injuries and that hurt the final grade. I dont think we need to draft a starter but improving depth (ideally with guys who can grow into good starters) should be a focus in this draft and probably every future draft.

The team needs to fire Grier before he puts the future of the roster in such bad shape.

CAP HELL I tell you!

CAP HE
Stop blaming pre2016 on the guy, he was just a guy on the staff.

Flores chose to gut roster and start over like an expansion team, it was difficult to watch. Look at how far weve come from losing 59-10 at home, losing draft picks and talking heads mocking us...

Every one drafts busts, it happens. This roster is really good and the future is bright. We've had 4 winning seasons, 2 playoff games and a near playoff road win against a rival that's whooped our a5ses the past decade...things take time to build.

We've lost some fan favorites due to greed, that's their life, their choice, and good for them they earned it! It sucks to lose guys we rooted for that played their hearts out, and could've been lifelong fins...but that's the way it goes sometimes...

This team is on the right path, we have a young up and coming coach with a core about to hit their prime years.

The OLine fell apart with injuries and that hurt the final grade. I dont think we need to draft a starter but improving depth (ideally with guys who can grow into good starters) should be a focus in this draft and probably every future draft.
Exactly!

people see big cap space and get excited but like the OP said, that's only 17 players under contract and yes, you add the draft picks but then the cap space goes some some because of those players.......i'm not going to worry about the cap for 2026 but it's not always what it seems.

people see big cap space and get excited but like the OP said, that's only 17 players under contract and yes, you add the draft picks but then the cap space goes some some because of those players.......i'm not going to worry about the cap for 2026 but it's not always what it seems.
Agree. Plus, roughly $100m to extend Waddle ($25m py minimum), Phillips ($20m py minimum) and Tua ($50m py minimum), then go and sign the other 20-30 players that aren't currently on the roster isn't THAT much money. Of course they can push some of that PY into 2027 and beyond but that actually looks tighter than I thought it would be for 2026.

I wondered who would be the first to want to fire Grier, who IMO has done a pretty damn good job rebuilding this team from the 2019 high school roster we had then.

Back
Top Bottom