Favorite guys in the class | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Favorite guys in the class

Checking out Mock Draft Data Base, and I made an updated list of guys I'm higher on than the consensus.

Few notes:

* not surprised to see WR's getting pushed down the board, but the level of talent is still noteworthy. Typically, Day 3 WR's are LONG shots or middling contributors. I think most end up going higher, but if that's their true range, it does make trading down, maybe multiple times, and adding OL and DT with the first two picks would set up Miami to take advantage of the WR strength/depth.

* I'm surprised the consensus is still so low on this TE class outside of Bowers. You have multiple great athletes with different body types and versatility, and most of them were at least good college players. Sinnott and Bell are wildly underrated, and Barner is an outstanding blocker with functional athleticism. TE is vital, and we're seeing a spike in talent at the position, but the talent in 2024 is largely being overlooked.

* While this OT rivals the WR's, most of them are properly lauded.

* CB is easily the deepest position on D this year.

* While I love Fautanu and Mims, I'd probably rather have Morgan or Barton after a trade down if it meant adding two of Jenkins, Sinnott, Baker, Rice, Hall Jr - instead of just one.

QB

33. Bo Nix (Top 10)

RB

106. Marshawn Lloyd (76-100)

WR

34. Ladd McConkey (Top 20)
94. Brenden Rice (41-75)
103. Javon Baker (Top 40)
117. Jamari Thrash (41-75)
121. Luke McCaffrey (41-75)
123. Malik Washington (41-75)
152. Ainias Smith (76-100)

TE

105. Ben Sinnott (Top 40)
144. Jaheim Bell (41-75)
171. Jared Wiley (76-100)
174. Tip Reiman (76-100)
197. AJ Barner (76-100)

OT

23. Amarius Mims (Top 20)
118. Christian Jones (41-75)
127. Javon Foster (41-75)
216. Walter Rouse (76-100)

IOL

22. Troy Fautanu (Top 20)
24. Jackson Powers-Johnson (Top 20)
97. Christian Mahogany (41-75)
108. Zak Zinter (41-75)
128. Beaux Limmer (76-100)
189. Trevor Keegan (76-100)
212. Drake Nugent (76-100)

DT

55. Kris Jenkins (Top 40)
138. Tyler Davis (76-100)

Edge

124. Gabriel Murphy (76-100)
129. Mohamed Kamara (76-100)

LB

104. Cedric Gray (76-100)

CB

63. Max Melton (Top 40)
143. Elijah Jones (41-75)
147. Jarrian Jones (Top 40)
155. Jaylin Simpson (76-100)
156. Nehemiah Pritchett (41-75)

Safety

136. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (76-100)
146. Tykee Smith (76-100)

Checking out Mock Draft Data Base, and I made an updated list of guys I'm higher on than the consensus.

Few notes:

* not surprised to see WR's getting pushed down the board, but the level of talent is still noteworthy. Typically, Day 3 WR's are LONG shots or middling contributors. I think most end up going higher, but if that's their true range, it does make trading down, maybe multiple times, and adding OL and DT with the first two picks would set up Miami to take advantage of the WR strength/depth.

* I'm surprised the consensus is still so low on this TE class outside of Bowers. You have multiple great athletes with different body types and versatility, and most of them were at least good college players. Sinnott and Bell are wildly underrated, and Barner is an outstanding blocker with functional athleticism. TE is vital, and we're seeing a spike in talent at the position, but the talent in 2024 is largely being overlooked.

* While this OT rivals the WR's, most of them are properly lauded.

* CB is easily the deepest position on D this year.

* While I love Fautanu and Mims, I'd probably rather have Morgan or Barton after a trade down if it meant adding two of Jenkins, Sinnott, Baker, Rice, Hall Jr - instead of just one.

QB

33. Bo Nix (Top 10)

RB

106. Marshawn Lloyd (76-100)

WR

34. Ladd McConkey (Top 20)
94. Brenden Rice (41-75)
103. Javon Baker (Top 40)
117. Jamari Thrash (41-75)
121. Luke McCaffrey (41-75)
123. Malik Washington (41-75)
152. Ainias Smith (76-100)

TE

105. Ben Sinnott (Top 40)
144. Jaheim Bell (41-75)
171. Jared Wiley (76-100)
174. Tip Reiman (76-100)
197. AJ Barner (76-100)

OT

23. Amarius Mims (Top 20)
118. Christian Jones (41-75)
127. Javon Foster (41-75)
216. Walter Rouse (76-100)

IOL

22. Troy Fautanu (Top 20)
24. Jackson Powers-Johnson (Top 20)
97. Christian Mahogany (41-75)
108. Zak Zinter (41-75)
128. Beaux Limmer (76-100)
189. Trevor Keegan (76-100)
212. Drake Nugent (76-100)

DT

55. Kris Jenkins (Top 40)
138. Tyler Davis (76-100)

Edge

124. Gabriel Murphy (76-100)
129. Mohamed Kamara (76-100)

LB

104. Cedric Gray (76-100)

CB

63. Max Melton (Top 40)
143. Elijah Jones (41-75)
147. Jarrian Jones (Top 40)
155. Jaylin Simpson (76-100)
156. Nehemiah Pritchett (41-75)

Safety

136. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (76-100)
146. Tykee Smith (76-100)
Great post.

Two that fit a trade down scenario that I love on the offensive line...Beebe and Frazier. They both really get after it in the run game.

Frazier's guy often ends up on the ground.

Yeah, with all the talent on OL, it'd feel like a waste miss out with both picks.

Every year I'm like all of you here... i watch all the pre-draft activity; read the press; watch film; do a bunch of mocks... and then i tend to settle on a single player as my holy grail.

Usually, I focus on a player who I think should go before our selection, but might drop-- especially if that player seems to be getting less respect than I believe he should be receiving in the media mocks...

This year, my grail pick is JC Latham. In the early mocks, he tended to come off the board as the second Tackle, but lately... I see him drifting downward, and the only reason that I can see is that most think he's a Right, rather than Left Tackle.

He played Defensive End for awhile in HS, then moved to OT, played some OG early at 'bama, then settled in at RT for the last two years, where he was 1st string SEC. So, he's position versatile.

Powerful, but with quick feet, I think he's exactly what we are looking for as Armstead's replacement. Like Fautanu, we could play him at Guard for a year (next to Armstead), and then move him to LT when Armstead departs next year. I prefer him to Fautanu because he's bigger, has longer arms and I believe that he is more apt to become a Tackle than Fautanu will be.

Honestly, I think he should be the #1 Tackle in this draft and some of the scouts do agree with that. Zierlein, for instance, has a higher grade on Latham than he does on Alt. Now, I doubt if he falls-- even with the LT bias in the NFL-- but if he does, I'm on the phone at around pick #15. Certainly by #17 because I cant see the Bungles passing on him.

He's my FAVORITE GUY IN THE CLASS.

I have been seeing Latham slipping closer to Miami range so you never know.Latham is the most powerful guy in this class but I am not sure he moves well enough for the outside zone Miami runs.

He could slot in at OG early and then slide to OT later. I would not be worried about him playing LT since Tua is a lefty and that is not his blind side.Some guys have difficulty adjusting to switching sides of the OL though.

You could put him at RT and move AJ back to LT but I would prefer to leave him at the spot where he actually played well.

I don't see Miami trading up for anybody though, they can't afford to have even fewer picks. Maybe you use a future pick, especially with them potentially having a couple of Comp 3rd's next year.

Depending on who is on the board I would have no problem with the team taking Latham in R1 as that would presume that they are fine with his mobility.

I prefer Mims but I freely admit he is a gamble having not played much, I just think in a few years the kid could be an All Pro.....................or a flop. I'd roll the dice on him though.

I have been seeing Latham slipping closer to Miami range so you never know.Latham is the most powerful guy in this class but I am not sure he moves well enough for the outside zone Miami runs.

He could slot in at OG early and then slide to OT later. I would not be worried about him playing LT since Tua is a lefty and that is not his blind side.Some guys have difficulty adjusting to switching sides of the OL though.

You could put him at RT and move AJ back to LT but I would prefer to leave him at the spot where he actually played well.

I don't see Miami trading up for anybody though, they can't afford to have even fewer picks. Maybe you use a future pick, especially with them potentially having a couple of Comp 3rd's next year.

Depending on who is on the board I would have no problem with the team taking Latham in R1 as that would presume that they are fine with his mobility.

I prefer Mims but I freely admit he is a gamble having not played much, I just think in a few years the kid could be an All Pro.....................or a flop. I'd roll the dice on him though.
Clearly... I'm really high on him... and if the leap wasn't too much, I'd make the trade.

We could move into the 15 to 17 range comparitively cheaply... maybe our 1 and 2, for their 1 and 3.

This is thought to be a the deepest OT draft in years... and honestly, I like Latham as the #1 guy in the draft. so if I'm right about that (and yes, I may not be), most years see the top T go in the top 5 picks.
If Latham slides to 15 or so... that's a steal, and we wont be that high again for many years.

I generally HATE trading up... but for the top Tackle, I'd do it.

Last edited:
Every year I'm like all of you here... i watch all the pre-draft activity; read the press; watch film; do a bunch of mocks... and then i tend to settle on a single player as my holy grail.

Usually, I focus on a player who I think should go before our selection, but might drop-- especially if that player seems to be getting less respect than I believe he should be receiving in the media mocks...

This year, my grail pick is JC Latham. In the early mocks, he tended to come off the board as the second Tackle, but lately... I see him drifting downward, and the only reason that I can see is that most think he's a Right, rather than Left Tackle.

He played Defensive End for awhile in HS, then moved to OT, played some OG early at 'bama, then settled in at RT for the last two years, where he was 1st string SEC. So, he's position versatile.

Powerful, but with quick feet, I think he's exactly what we are looking for as Armstead's replacement. Like Fautanu, we could play him at Guard for a year (next to Armstead), and then move him to LT when Armstead departs next year. I prefer him to Fautanu because he's bigger, has longer arms and I believe that he is more apt to become a Tackle than Fautanu will be.

Honestly, I think he should be the #1 Tackle in this draft and some of the scouts do agree with that. Zierlein, for instance, has a higher grade on Latham than he does on Alt. Now, I doubt if he falls-- even with the LT bias in the NFL-- but if he does, I'm on the phone at around pick #15. Certainly by #17 because I cant see the Bungles passing on him.

I love Latham too. I would love Latham or Fautanu.

At worst Latham will be a dominating OG, Pro Bowl level and above.

Should he be able to handle OT even better for the team but not a deal breaker if he can't.

The fact that you could plug him in at RG as a rookie and let him get comfortable before possibly go back to OT would make him an ideal candidate for Miami.

I would have Fautanu ahead of him and he would bring the same inside/outside dynamic as Latham.

Mims is an OT but he might be an absolute star in time.

I would be happy with any of them but I am not confident any of them get to #21.

Trading down and taking an IOL(or BPA) looks like the more likely move to me.

I love Latham too. I would love Latham or Fautanu.
Those are my top two.

My next is actually Morgan... who I think we could get after a trade down.

Mims and Guyton scare me... too few reps and too few starts. Yeah, they could be great, but I dont think we can afford a project lineman right now. We need a guy to be ready... now.

Those are my top two.

My next is actually Morgan... who I think we could get after a trade down.

Mims and Guyton scare me... too few reps and too few starts. Yeah, they could be great, but I dont think we can afford a project lineman right now. We need a guy to be ready... now.
I feel the same way. I think I would pivot to a different position before I would take Mims or Guyton. I really like Morgan and I think he could be a really good guard.

For Miami's needs this is probably the best case scenario. Get someone with the versatility to play guard and tackle at a high level.

I would be surprised if Latham drops to 21, though.

Back
Top Bottom