Herbert Chokes Again | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Herbert Chokes Again

They did show a stat saying Herbert has the 2nd most 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL since 2020, so I think this choking thing is way overblown.
The problem with that stat is it is one sided. He also looses a ton of games late. As in he is 18-20 in 1 score games in the 4th. A guy like Mahomes doesn't have as many overall 4thQ comebacks because he is clutch and puts the game away before then. Herbert's issue has been he gets worse in the second half. They have blown so many 1st half leads because of it. He has like a 15 point drop in pass rating from the 1st half to the second. That just doesn't cut it in the NFL for winning games, but it does count the same for fantasy football I guess, so he has that going for him.

I don’t think Herbert is a bad NFL QB. In fact he is probably a top 10 NFL QB at this time simply because there are so many bad starting QB’s in the NFL now.

I am just glad that Grier was smart enough to draft Tua instead of Herbert. Tua is the perfect QB for a MCDaniel offense. His ability to quickly read the defensive coverage and get rid of the ball, along with his extreme accuracy
is Instrumental is making the passing game as effective as it is for the Dolphins.

The only issue with Tua has always been his durability compared to Herbert. It was his injury history that was the reason there was a debate regarding which QB the Dolphins should draft in 2020. At the time I wanted them to draft Tua but I also stated before the draft that I would understand if they drafted Herbert simply because Tua had just suffered a serious hip injury.

I think it took Tua almost two years to fully recover from that hip surgery and it affected his play early in his career. Yet at this time he appears to be 100% healthy and he has proven he is one of the best QB’s in the entire league.
I've always been a Tua believer, someone posted Tua highlights from 2021 against the Panthers and he looks as good then as he does today.

However, Herbert is a Top 10 QB in the NFL. I watch a ton of non-Dolphins games and the Chargers could do way worse. Both can be good at the same time.

I've always been a Tua believer, someone posted Tua highlights from 2021 against the Panthers and he looks as good then as he does today.

However, Herbert is a Top 10 QB in the NFL. I watch a ton of non-Dolphins games and the Chargers could do way worse. Both can be good at the same time.

Happy Big Brother GIF by Big Brother Australia

The problem with that stat is it is one sided. He also looses a ton of games late. As in he is 18-20 in 1 score games in the 4th. A guy like Mahomes doesn't have as many overall 4thQ comebacks because he is clutch and puts the game away before then. Herbert's issue has been he gets worse in the second half. They have blown so many 1st half leads because of it. He has like a 15 point drop in pass rating from the 1st half to the second. That just doesn't cut it in the NFL for winning games, but it does count the same for fantasy football I guess, so he has that going for him.
That's an interesting stat, the kid can throw it a mile but you got to wonder if there's something between the ears which hasn't come full surface yet. I see a very talented QB at times though.

Herbert might be a top 10 QB but he doesn't have the IT factor or clutch gene.

Aikman said it best at the beginning of last nights broadcast. JH puts up great stats but is a .500 QB.

Another stat from last night said the Chargers have blown 13 games (since 2020 (?)) when leading at Halftime.

That's an interesting stat, the kid can throw it a mile but you got to wonder if there's something between the ears which hasn't come full surface yet. I see a very talented QB at times though.
Oh no doubt...I've seen that dude make throws maybe nobody else in the league could...maybe Allen. His physical traits are pretty much perfect. Tua has a killer instinct...some other QBs do also...I've never felt that from Herbert.

Oh no doubt...I've seen that dude make throws maybe nobody else in the league could...maybe Allen. His physical traits are pretty much perfect. Tua has a killer instinct...some other QBs do also...I've never felt that from Herbert.
Yeah can't disagree, that playoff game last year really elevated that part of his game

Herbert has always seemed to have an aloof personality. He doesn't seem to be a good leader.

I get your point, but I disagree with the physical traits being perfect. I am a big believer in a quick release. Herbert has too much of a wind up. Give me Mahomes as the better physical traits. I'm not sure I've ever seen the size and strength of Josh Allen or Justin Herbert combined with the quick release and arm talent of Marino or Mahomes. In the meantime, give me the quick release and arm talent every time.

Herbert is extremely intelligent. He was a three time academic All-American at Oregon and graduated with a 4.01 GPA.
Being book smart and football smart are different kinds of smart. Tua was just a B student at Alabama and Herbert had a much higher Wonderlic score than Tua. Yet Tua just processes what is happening on the field faster than Herbert and the rest of the QB’s in the NFL at this time.

As you point out, at times Herbert is a very talented QB and the Chargers are lucky to have him. We are just luckier to have Tua, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom