Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line? | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Miami Done Adding on the Offensive Line?

Yeah, I’ve been beating the drum about him since the day he was drafted. I was surprised when he was cut before the season started, but he was caught in a numbers game with other more experienced tackles already on the roster.
Why we had that waste of space Cotton on the roster instead of Hayes will remain a mystery to me. The sooner they cut that human traffic cone the better.

Yeah. We, or at least I, tend to overlook Achane as that possible “third” weapon in the passing game.
Maybe. I could certainly see him getting more run in the passing offense.

The reality is, though, he is "size challenged" to an extent just like our top 2 guys.

You think quality OL will be available in June?
Are their stats on that? Would X be an example of a CB available in June? If so, even with X having declined, that level would still help a team.

Are their stats on that? Would X be an example of a CB available in June? If so, even with X having declined, that level would still help a team.

Plenty of good players are available in June and July, even during the season.

But rarely is it an OL. Just about everyone needs OL, all the time. Its rare to see a quality OL, who doesn't have a major medical issue, shake free.

Beebe and Frazier are two interior offensive linemen I really like who could be trade down options. Both are probably gone somewhere in the top 40, I'd think.

Both can really move people, which I think is what the line needs.

What Miami really, really needs is more picks!
So says almost every fan in the NFL about their team. - LOL

The wouldn't you rather have a veteran line is confusing because that seems like you're dismissing the value of all rookies.

Good questions. So BPA is good from a position of strength which I wish we were at but we're not. The o line is too critical to pass up a chance to fix. We added a center who looks decent but he's got issues pass blocking. Also eich is still starting...

BPA also doesn't always take into account minor differences in play level. Yes it's a bad idea to take a player who is second round tier just to meet a need, but I think it's fine to meet a need by drafting a first round tier guy over a slightly better first round tier guy who fails to meet as big a need.

And yes I think the o line was a fluke last year. The line performed against bad teams but the offense went inert against good ones. Answering that question is challenging... i think we relied on Tuas quck release and the speed of tyreek to cover up the lines flaws. Run blocking was good when armstead was healthy... but we csnt rely on that. Obvious pass situations were a huge problem though and led to a very sorry 3rd down success rate. Again our new center has pass prot issues, there arent good options in fa. There are first round tier iol guys. We need a pass game. So yeah two o line guys sounds good to me.
Aren't DL and EDGE just as critical? Right now we're looking at Seiler and a bunch of guys who were cut by other teams. I like our OL depth and experience much better than what we have on the D line right now. No healthy pass rushers and a D-line that scares nobody isn't what I want to see in September.

How do you know we'll be passing on guys who are only "slightly less talented" if we take an OL in the first round? If we assume Fuaga and Fautanu might be gone when we pick, is Graham Barton only a little less talented than Byron Murphy, Brian Thomas, Chop Robinson? Do you take Jon Rahm (OL) or the field (DT, Edge, WR) in any given tournament? There's going to be many options at or around 21. Getting locked into one position doesn't work. It produces picks like J'Wan James. The difference between the 21st best player and the 30th or 32nd could be massive. What if a great talent like Brock Bowers or Johnny Newton or Rome Odunze drops? You're still going to take an offensive lineman?

And how many first round grade IOL guys are in this draft who we really have a chance to draft at 21? Barton and JPJ? Maybe Jordan Morgan? Morgan would be a stretch at 21, as said I'd be OK with the other 2 but think there's a real chance there's a better player at another position who will be there for them at #21.

And we had a 40.19% conversion rate on third down last year which was 12th in the league, certainly not awful.

and to finish the point on opportunity costs-I thought picks 2 and 3 in the first round of the 2020 draft for Miami were reaches
Soon after AJ was picked at 18 in that draft, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk and Patrick Queen were selected. All three have more value now and probably had higher draft grades in 2020. The team got locked into taking a tackle here and even if AJ was projected to go in the 20's or 30's of that draft, they passed on better players to draft him.

Phenomenal post.

Would love to add Detroit’s third WR from that list and call it day, especially since he’s a very talented and willing blocker that would be called on to do that 80-90% of the time anyway.
Oddly quiet market for him. Maybe he waits until after the draft to find a team

Oddly quiet market for him. Maybe he waits until after the draft to find a team

He visited Baltimore as soon as we met with Beckham.

I think Reynolds is an under the radar potential home run for us, as he doesn’t need to get the ball to make a big impact. Hard to imagine a better spot for him. If he’s asked to be a No.2, he’ll probably disappoint anyone who signs him.

He visited Baltimore as soon as we met with Beckham.

I think Reynolds is an under the radar potential home run for us, as he doesn’t need to get the ball to make a big impact. Hard to imagine a better spot for him. If he’s asked to be a No.2, he’ll probably disappoint anyone who signs him.
Reynolds is the guy I'd like as WR#3. I've liked his game, especially his "crossing-patterns-opposite-direction-from-the-wide-zone-run-action" since 2018 Rams. LETHAL in key situations and drives with Goff and McVey's system. (Well, except for the SB😂)

I’m pretty sure we will add another ol during the first 2 rounds of this years draft, so to answer your question, no we aren’t done adding ol

I think there is a bit of an exaggeration about what a third receiver generates in a top passing offense... so I looked it up.

Here it is, measured by total yards, by team in the order of their total passing yards. The Vikings led the league, so they are first:

Vikings Addison 911 (TE was second)
Dolphins Smythe 366 (TE)
Cowboys Cooks 657 (TE was second)
Lions Reynolds 608 (TE was second)
Texans Schulz 635 (TE)
Niners Samuel 892 (TE was second)
Chiefs Watson 460 (TE was first)

OK... now it is glaringly obvious isn't it. The problem isn't at WR3, because NO ONE's WR3 is a top three in yards... no one's.

Adding a better WR3 isn't the way to diversify our passing attack. Improving our TE production is... the numbers above do not lie.

And well... we've already done this.

Jonnu Smith

If he produces 600 yards or so, then... he's our 3rd receiver... and I think he will.

You can't possibly accept Jonnu Smith as the answer though, right?

1711552250623.png

He was stuck behind Delanie Walker during his rookie year in 2017 so we'll ignore that.

In 2018-2020 he was the primary TE for the Titans and he peaked at 448 yards--that ain't great.

He earned a $50M contract with the Patriots and did absolutely nothing for them as you can see. He was given a 4-yr deal and sent packing after 2 seasons. He played 2nd fiddle to the middling Hunter Henry who's never produced more than 650-yds in his 7-yr NFL career.

Smith played alongside Kyle Pitts in ATL last year as Pitts was returning from an MCL tear. The two split time and Pitts came out a little ahead in terms of targets, yards and Y/R.

If Jonnu Smith is our answer at TE I'm not happy. As a #2 he's a valuable asset but as a #1 he's insufficient.

While Smith has certainly produced more than Smythe as a receiver, my honest expectation is that the team leans heavily into making De'Von Achane a bigger piece of the passing game as his talent actually warrants more targets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom