Our new defense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Our new defense

More than the 3 down linemen sub-packages, I think the main change on our defense will be the coverage scheme.

Based on Weaver's lineage and our personnel decisions I think we'll no longer play as much cover 6 or as much cloud concepts or even as much zone at all.

We're most likely going back to lots of man and cover 3.

I think this is good because the Bills' and Chiefs' main threat will be their TEs and these schemes are much better at covering them than zones.

It surprises me this has barely been talked about around here.

What do y'all think?
I think you are smarter than I am

It's going to be interesting because so many people think Weaver is simply going to run what Baltimore did and I don't think that will be the case.

I think the biggest change will be the IDL rotation and the snap counts being more levelled out for those guys.

Something people haven't discussed is the high number of 3 safety looks Baltimore ran - very close to what we did. It's practically a standard in the NFL these days. Thanks, Fangio ;)

While I do not know what specific grouping changes that will be occurring with our new DC, the large number of vets and drafted defensive players indicate to me a lot of positional rotations are likely to called into play.

This is because we now have more players with strong skill sets to put on the field during a game.

We did not make those changes to our defense to have them just sit on the bench.

You could be right. What worries me is that this new defense being installed may be too complicated for our young guys to grasp early in the season. Tindal, for one, has been known to have had issues learning the previous defense.
Tindal? He would have trouble with HS playbook.

Weaver was drafted by the Ravens and played for them for 4 years (he played for the Texans another 3 years). He has been an NFL coach since 2012. 8 of those years he was a coach for the Texans or Ravens.

I lay all this out because I don’t believe we hired him to reinvent the wheel. I think he will run a very similar defense to what Baltimore has ran for years. I’m sure our defense will have some differences based on available talent.

Weaver was drafted by the Ravens and played for them for 4 years (he played for the Texans another 3 years). He has been an NFL coach since 2012. 8 of those years he was a coach for the Texans or Ravens.

I lay all this out because I don’t believe we hired him to reinvent the wheel. I think he will run a very similar defense to what Baltimore has ran for years. I’m sure our defense will have some differences based on available talent.
I think he'll start with the old Ravens brand of defense. The one they used to use under the coaches Ozzie Newsome used to hire. The Belichick blue print. The same Weaver ran in Houston. The same Flo ran in his first season before he started doing all the exotic stuff.

It's going to be dumbed down, vanilla, old-school if you please but we are going to rely on a lot of new comers.

We are probably gonna go full throwback.

The 335 is a concept Bill ran in the early 2000's.

I know, teams play a lot of nickel as base against 12, 21 or 11, regardless but not many teams do it with a star or a robber.
They do the normal 425 nickel with a proper "nickel backer" or slot corner.

The 335 is old school BB/Saban.

Last edited:
The star and the RCB on a flood concept, playing "off", the MEG on an island playing bump and run, maybe press. Your creativity comes on the option to play a shell or single high or cover 3 or a single 6th blitzer (base is 5) or adding a robber in the middle or a spy.

Nothing fancy. Very Madden-level-basic.

Stop the run, don't let them hit the quick throws, let the pass rushers pin their ears and run the bannana which is Chop's best attribute, it's Wake-esque, and let them try to beat you deep. Neither the Bills nor Chiefs will beat us more often than we will beat them.

They run, good luck keeping up with our scoring, they throw deep, good luck getting more chunk plays than us, just don't throw it short or scramble too much, that's what we should sell out to stop.

Tackling, fundamentals, run fits, win 1o1s. Choke them.

The road to the SB goes through Josh, Lamar and Mahomes.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about the quality of the run defense without Wilkins. If Weaver can field a strong run stuffing unit from his motley collection of IDL misfits, plus Sieler of course, it will be his biggest accomplishment. I'll say right here and now though that Jordyn Brooks is a huge upgrade over Baker in every way, but the biggest difference will be in run defense. I never could understand the fuss over Baker and his string of tackles 7 yards downfield. Brooks looks to me like a stud when filling downhill in the alley.

Believe it or not, besides Tindal, the 2 rookies on D will have a easier time than the new guys learning the Offense. What also may help the young guys on D (minus Tindal) is everyone on D will be learning a new system together.

The downside is the 1st 4-5 games to get to where assignments/reads are automatic.

I'm not as knowledgeable about defense as some folks here are.

I will say that our large number of defensive selections throughout the draft and looking at the defensive positions we brought in via FA along with a new DC; it is obvious to me that there are going to be a lot of changes in our defensive as opposed to last year.

I have no idea what those changes are going to be specifically, but I am looking forward to stronger defensive play this year because of them.
Our new DC believes in quantity over quality on the dline. He will have a DL rotation to keep players fresh. He will be rolling players in and out much more frequently than Fangio, who ran players into the damn ground. He will get after the QB with a variety of zone blitzes. He will employ a lot more man coverage and cover 3 than the soft zone we’ve employed. He will also use three safeties and bring them to the LOS to confuse the offense and force the QB to throw into tighter windows. We have the talent we just need someone to scheme it. I expect massive improvement over Fangio.

You could be right. What worries me is that this new defense being installed may be too complicated for our young guys to grasp early in the season. Tindal, for one, has been known to have had issues learning the previous defense.

The calling card of MacDonald and the Baltimore D, which Weaver will draw heavily from, is the illusion of complexity - making life as easy as possible for your guys and as hard as possible for their guys.

There will be an adjustment period, but this should not be a prevailing issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom