Paul | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Paul

Well if any team had to play backups for half their snaps, they would probably have OLine issues too. The Dolphins were the only playoff team to have come close to missing that many starter snaps, by a factor.

Now, relying on Armstead and Wynn backup snaps comes with the territory and hopefully the team feels good about the next man up behind those two--and a couple of spares behind them too in case others go down. In a perfect world i think we all wish they had added more but i am not convinced the team doesn't have its bases reasonably covered with current personnel and what it can stash on the PS. We will see but at the moment Grier, McDaniel, Barry seem to agree.

What, those guys know more than some of our posters? - LOL

Philosophically, I love the Paul pick. We needed a huge LT since Armstead and Lamm both had one foot out the door to retirement this past offseason.

Hopefully, he works out and is our LT for years to come.
Absolutely agree... after QB, the two most important positions on the field are Edge (to attack the other team's most important player) and Tackle (to protect your own most important player).

Whether Chop and Paul succeed is a different conversation, but philosophically-- taking those two positions was job number one for a smart GM.

As far as the argument about Chop being sent to the bench goes... it's a non-starter. Edge players get rotated... a lot. Having 3 starters for these 2 positions is not a luxury, it's a must...

Absolutely agree... after QB, the two most important positions on the field are Edge (to attack the other team's most important player) and Tackle (to protect your own most important player).

Whether Chop and Paul succeed is a different conversation, but philosophically-- taking those two positions was job number one for a smart GM.

As far as the argument about Chop being sent to the bench goes... it's a non-starter. Edge players get rotated... a lot. Having 3 starters for these 2 positions is not a luxury, it's a must...

I disagree with you about tackle being the second most important position on the offense. It's the Center.

The Center is the position the entire OL should be built around. Think of the Center as the QB of the OL!

I disagree with you about tackle being the second most important position on the offense. It's the Center.

The Center is the position the entire OL should be built around. Think of the Center as the QB of the OL!
While I share your respect for Centers, I will add two caveats to that.
1) I'd rather have an elite Tackle and an average, but smart Center, than the reverse. Centers don't face Bosas.
2) Since Center is not a position that generally gets drafted in the first round AND top Centers dont make as much money, I'm going to try to score a guy for 7m/year or in the third(ish) round.

Video Game Yes GIF by Immortals of Aveum

While I share your respect for Centers, I will add two caveats to that.
1) I'd rather have an elite Tackle and an average, but smart Center, than the reverse. Centers don't face Bosas.
2) Since Center is not a position that generally gets drafted in the first round AND top Centers dont make as much money, I'm going to try to score a guy for 7m/year or in the third(ish) round.

A well thought out and responsible reply, but:

- "rather" and level of draft position don't alter the makeup of the OL, of which the Center is the "quarterback", or as some prefer, the "on field coach".

Ray is Right - again. - LOL

I agree center is slightly more important especially to us as Tua needs to be protected by the interior of our line to help him navigate the pocket.

But the guard spot is still a problem for this year. Eich is not the answer and shouldn't be starting at all.
That may or may not be true. I mean I respect the opinion, but that's what it is. When Eich played RG, he wasn't horrible. Certainly not Robert Hunt quality, but not garbage either.

Beyond that, he has competition.

That may or may not be true. I mean I respect the opinion, but that's what it is. When Eich played RG, he wasn't horrible. Certainly not Robert Hunt quality, but not garbage either.

Beyond that, he has competition.
Agree 💯

I am not necessarily saying I disagree.

But what other team has invested a 1st round pick for each of their 3 starters at Edge?

Also, out of these teams that have 3 starting quality Edge rushers what is the snap Share breakdown between the 3.

Again, not saying i disagree with the idea of needing 3 starting caliber Edge players. But I am curious if the constant rotation justifies another 1st round pick at that position.

I am not necessarily saying I disagree.

But what other team has invested a 1st round pick for each of their 3 starters at Edge?

Also, out of these teams that have 3 starting quality Edge rushers what is the snap Share breakdown between the 3.

Again, not saying i disagree with the idea of needing 3 starting caliber Edge players. But I am curious if the constant rotation justifies another 1st round pick at that position.
No clue... but as a general rule, if you want an elite Edge, that's where you have to go.

...and all three of these guys have top 10 Edge in their grasp. For all the sulky crap that was dished out on Chubb last year... he had 11 sacks and 6!!! forced fumbles... that's elite production.

The same fanboys who'd wet themselves for a 6 INT Safety... pooh pooh Chubb. It blows my mind.

Honestly, the worst of the three might be Phillips... but only because of his fragility.

If I was GM... I would ALWAYS be looking for my next pass rusher.

Back
Top Bottom