PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move

You can't really compare guys who a double teamed to guys who aren't and call it apples to apples. They're not in the same league.
So, you believe Phillips drew all the double teams while Chubb just had to go 1 on 1 vs the opposition's LT? Aren't LTs generally the best pass blockers on any given offense? Now always of course, but the majority of the time. You seem to be implying Chubb has clear sailing constantly while Phillips had to always fight through double teams. I cannot go along with that.

So, you believe Phillips drew all the double teams while Chubb just had to go 1 on 1 vs the opposition's LT? Aren't LTs generally the best pass blockers on any given offense? Now always of course, but the majority of the time. You seem to be implying Chubb has clear sailing constantly while Phillips had to always fight through double teams. I cannot go along with that.

I mean I'm doubling Phillips all day before i am worried about doubling Chubb, if I am an opposing OL.

I don't think you understood my post. I was saying that people think there are no consequences to restructuring contacts because they don't understand how things work. They simply see free agents being signed and they believe it's all fine.
The interesting stuff happens if/when cap numbers don't rise.

ie. We say deflationary conditions in the economy, NFL signing deals doesn't continue, when Amazon pulls out of contract, when viewership declines, etc etc.

One year of a decline in NFL cap space and all hell is gonna break lose. The cap model works like US debt works. One day it will implode and it will be a glorious implosion (for those teams not fiscally secure).

ie. We say deflationary conditions in the economy, NFL signing deals doesn't continue, when Amazon pulls out of contract, when viewership declines, etc etc.

One year of a decline in NFL cap space and all hell is gonna break lose. The cap model works like US debt works. One day it will implode and it will be a glorious implosion (for those teams not fiscally secure).
TRUTH!

Those last two drafts also followed 3 years where we pulled far more than most from the draft. Obviously it would be great to have 20 draft picks every year, but that's not going to happen. It's always going to fluctuate. Next year we'll probably have an above average number of picks. The important thing is to not over-dramatize the down years and lose sight of the longer picture. And if in those down years you can do a good job of pulling in some cheap FAs and UDFAs (guys like Mostert, Nedham, Kohou), then they basically act draft picks.

Correction.
"...they basically act as EXPENSIVE draft picks."

There, that's better. - LOL

The cheaper the better. I got a decent buzz yesterday for about $3 on some black velvet. Weekends only for me though.
Put this man on the Dolphins drafting committee immediately.
He could get drunk with an "agent" and get some draftees to want us. - LOL

So thinking that accumulating dead cap money and using void years is a positive means you know how the cap works, got it genius.

Maybe later you can tell me how to pay all my bills will credit cards.
Whether Ghost is wrong or right, that second sentence is funny.

Those last two drafts also followed 3 years where we pulled far more than most from the draft. Obviously it would be great to have 20 draft picks every year, but that's not going to happen. It's always going to fluctuate. Next year we'll probably have an above average number of picks. The important thing is to not over-dramatize the down years and lose sight of the longer picture. And if in those down years you can do a good job of pulling in some cheap FAs and UDFAs (guys like Mostert, Nedham, Kohou), then they basically act draft picks.
Chiefs are the model to follow, managing their cap, trading players or letting them walk when they cannot afford to keep then over the long term, keeping their picks and adding more opportunistically. Nobody hits on all their picks but having more of them makes it easier to field a quality team at affordable cost.

The big question is whether we have the right core to build around. I submit that the Fins do not yet have their equivalent of Mahomes-Kelce-Long (plus 3 top end OL).

Fun fact for 2025 KC currently has 5 players scheduled to make >$10mm including Mahomes, while Miami has 7 such players not including Tua (nor Waddle or Phillips). I know $10mil is an arbitrary break but it illustrates the difference in approach. The cap dictates a smaller core of elite players on market contracts with the bulk of the roster on rookie or modest deals, while the Dolphins have a larger group of semi-elite market contract players and insufficient quality players on rookie contracts. To me that doesn't mean the window is closed for Miami but we need to get comfortable parting with non-core stars when they hit free agency or perhaps 1-2 years before they do if we want to build for long term success. At least be flexible and ruthlessly discriminating around who is considered "core."

Another minor detail--Tua needs to be Super Bowl caliber or else the team needs to keep fishing in thr QB pond and developing them in hopes of getting that kind of player who is worth the max contract and its knock-on effect on the rest of the roster.

Deflation is a purifying force in all contexts. Like Warren Buffet's receding tide it reveals who and who isnt wearing their trunks.

Back
Top Bottom