Survey - What Was The Best Part Of The Draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Survey - What Was The Best Part Of The Draft?

Best Part Of The Draft

• Rounds 1-2

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Rounds 3-7

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • Liked All Of It Equally

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Did Not Like It

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I think both the draft and free agency were like wine. Both off to a rough start, that got better with time.

Specifically regarding the draft, I think about it as rounds 1-2, versus rounds 3-7. I think rounds 1-2 tend to be the money picks where you can find real difference makers and instant starters, and after that you are drafting backups or developmental prospects. Yes there are exceptions. You could argue rounds 1-3 should be grouped together. For the purposes of this survey question, and the way the draft went, I decided to group rounds 1-2 together. Plus the Dolphins didn't start with a third round pick, they had to trade up into the third round.

I will be honest. I did not like the first two picks. Regarding Chop, I cannot get over the mediocre production in college, despite the well thought out counterpoints. It is the combination of the lack of sacks and lack of tackles that bugs me. Then both Chop and Paul seem like developmental players. I was hoping for instant help from our first two picks. Also I was hoping for more help on the interior offensive line. The other worry I have is I feel like the team needs to get a bit bigger and nastier in the trenches, so we can better handle playing on the road, in the cold, against better teams. I feel like we added more finesse as opposed to more nasty.

After that, I thought the draft got really compelling. It is fascinating to me that the first two picks were made on measurables (didn't love that either), but then they really switched gears and started drafting production, which I like. Didn't love giving up draft capital again to trade up, but we probably have two compensatory third rounders as well next year, so there was some dry powder. Wouldn't have thought RB was a big need, but Wright is a very compelling player, who really produced in college, average yards per carry were off the charts. Then this Kamara kid is fascinating. Lacks the measurables (size), which is why he fell, but production was off the charts. A total 180 from Chop. I would not be surprised if Kamara looks better in the early stages of the year. Will be interesting how the Dolphins handle this and can they stomach giving Kamara playing time over the #1 pick? Malik Washington, again lacked the measurables (size) but his production was also off the charts, and he seems like a great fit for our offense. I would not be surprised if he is this years Achane. If they view him favorably enough, does that reduce the need to sign another WR in what remains of FA?

My view, slow start, and then some really fancy footwork after that. Just like free agency.

These of course are my opinions, I know people feel otherwise, which is why I ran the survey. People may also feel that how I segmented the whole thing is artificial and goofy. If so, also feel free to comment.

Last edited:
can someone please comment? nobody disagrees with my construct or points, even if voted that you loved the whole thing? i am used to being called a total f*cking idiot by now, where are my detractors when i need them? ;) it is interesting, so far, with a few votes, it seems to be leaning towards the rounds 3-7.

Fav thing was not having to endure it on television.
Could not agree more. I watched the TV coverage until Miami picked in R1 and was annoyed BEFORE they picked Chop! ;)

I even found Eisen annoying this year.

Joel Klatt is the best you can do NFL network?

I can't listen to a word that comes out of Charles Robinson, lazy, lazy analysis.

I won't even start on ESPN. Who would think you could miss Todd McShay?

I wanted a trade down to use towards more players who could step in immediately. I understand that Chop and Paul fill 2 higher priced positions, but will they be ready this year? Both Chop and Kamara will get forced into action and there will be growing pains. I love that Kamara has a chip on shoulder and is pissed off. He probably believes he is better than Chop and should have been a 1st round draft choice.

Disappointed we didn't solidify our interior O-line. I guess returning vets would be "more ready" to play this year. Not too pleased with drafting smaller wide outs with our current roster. We need a few big targets but perhaps Wes Welker felt otherwise.

At least we didn't draft any players with big injury histories.

I think both the draft and free agency were like wine. Both off to a rough start, that got better with time.

Specifically regarding the draft, I think about it as rounds 1-2, versus rounds 3-7. I think rounds 1-2 tend to be the money picks where you can find real difference makers and instant starters, and after that you are drafting backups or developmental prospects. Yes there are exceptions. You could argue rounds 1-3 should be grouped together. For the purposes of this survey question, and the way the draft went, I decided to group rounds 1-2 together. Plus the Dolphins didn't start with a third round pick, they had to trade up into the third round.

I will be honest. I did not like the first two picks. Regarding Chop, I cannot get over the mediocre production in college, despite the well thought out counterpoints. It is the combination of the lack of sacks and lack of tackles that bugs me. Then both Chop and Paul seem like developmental players. I was hoping for instant help from our first two picks. Also I was hoping for more help on the interior offensive line. The other worry I have is I feel like the team needs to get a bit bigger and nastier in the trenches, so we can better handle playing on the road, in the cold, against better teams. I feel like we added more finesse as opposed to more nasty.

After that, I thought the draft got really compelling. It is fascinating to me that the first two picks were made on measurables (didn't love that either), but then they really switched gears and started drafting production, which I like. Didn't love giving up draft capital again to trade up, but we probably have two compensatory third rounders as well next year, so there was some dry powder. Wouldn't have thought RB was a big need, but Wright is a very compelling player, who really produced in college, average yards per carry were off the charts. Then this Kamara kid is fascinating. Lacks the measurables (size), which is why he fell, but production was off the charts. A total 180 from Chop. I would not be surprised if Kamara looks better in the early stages of the year. Will be interesting how the Dolphins handle this and can they stomach giving Kamara playing time over the #1 pick? Malik Washington, again lacked the measurables (size) but his production was also off the charts, and he seems like a great fit for our offense. I would not be surprised if he is this years Achane. If they view him favorably enough, does that reduce the need to sign another WR in what remains of FA?

My view, slow start, and then some really fancy footwork after that. Just like free agency.

These of course are my opinions, I know people feel otherwise, which is why I ran the survey. People may also feel that how I segmented the whole thing is artificial and goofy. If so, also feel free to comment.
Good analysis and for the most part I agree. Will hope those late bad weather games do not sink the Dolphins again. I do hope that by the time Paul is needed he will come in and be a good injury replacement. Long term of course I hope he becomes our LT of the future and they will not have to draft high there again for awhile.

Not really sure about our DE players but hope they can help and I was worried that Phillips or Chubb will not play for an extened period and now see it the same as when Ramsey was lost early and came back strong when the grind was on. We have Barrett and Chop/ Kamara to come in when needed and if one of them is a stud then we are again golden there moving forward.

Wright puzzled me but I do recall games where we had no good option there or even series in games. Wilson likely gone now too means more cap space.

I hope Malik Washington turns out as good as many are saying and that would then be a great late pick.

The Dolphins were there last year before being decimated by injury and hope this year we are lucky in that area and we get to see this team progress.

I liked day 3 a lot more than the first two days. I realize that many posters love the Robinson pick at 21 but I’m not one of those posters.
My hope is that all the Robinson fans will be able to tell me, “I told you so” and I am completely wrong about him.

The Paul selection might work out over the long run but I just don’t see him helping in 2024. If he just becomes an average starting offensive linemen for the Dolphins over the next few years, that will meet my expectations for him.

I think Grier did a really good job with his picks and UDFA signings on day 3 and hopefully there will be 3 or 4 of the players drafted and signed yesterday who will come in and help upgrade the roster.

Most imporantly i think the team added necessary and intriguing talent with every pick; secondary bonus throughout the draft was the amusing torrent of desperate angst from posters whose hearts and minds were dead set on overdrafting IOL at the expense of other pressing needs.

can someone please comment? nobody disagrees with my construct or points, even if voted that you loved the whole thing? i am used to being called a total f*cking idiot by now, where are my detractors when i need them? ;) it is interesting, so far, with a few votes, it seems to be leaning towards the rounds 3-7.
This ☝

You are most certainly not idiot. You make interesting posts. Your thread starting is redundant at times.

Best part was when Mike pulled Chris aside on day 3 and said, look you blew some opportunities to get more picks. Now I have to use a 3rd from next year. Let me clean up your mess and I'll get us back on track...No, you're not borrowing my jacket from last night. It'll never fit you. You got to start working the cardio, ease up on the carbs...Where's Marino? Dan...

Back
Top Bottom