The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 102 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

This is what happens when you use stats instead of watching the games. McDaniel was calling plays with that OL in the back of his mind down the stretch. If he didn't have that concern, maybe his play calls wouldn't have been so bland with the screens, etc. Our playback was condensed with the injuries especially the one that forced Eich in as a starting center.
I can promise you 100% that I watched every single snap of every Dolphins game in 2023 and have for years. Many of the games at least 2-3 times.
Down the stretch was also when Hill and Waddle were playing at far less than 100% heath-wise and were therefore less effective. They were only on the field together 40% of the offensive snaps besides. Not having WR1 and WR2 effective and on the field together most of the time condensed the playbook too.

I could definitely see Newton or Murphy as picks for the reasons you stated. Getting inside pressure is very important and that aspect of Wilkins game hasn't been replaced.

Hall, or Orhorhorro in the 2nd round are interesting for that reason as well.

Darius Robinson is one of my favorites and has the versatility to play end or tackle. He has some pass rush ability and maybe will develop more in that regard.
Be careful though, not to admit you see genuine 1st round talent with Newton and Murphy because you may accused of projecting your personal WANTS ahead of the team's "by far biggest most glaring need without any doubt whatsoever, the OL." lol.

CK gets it. Mims is different. I don't think he'll be there when Miami drafts, but you bet on that kind of talent every time.

Also, he's inexperienced, not raw - big difference.

Inexperienced, yes. But not raw? So, you see his technique as being sufficiently developed heading into the draft?
IMO, he is both. And there is no guarantee he can move to LT and be as good as he was at RT. Some can and some cannot. If you want to keep Jackson at RT, and any OT drafted is intended to be the future LT then drafting one who is proven at LT seems more logical to me.

Inexperienced, yes. But not raw? So, you see his technique as being sufficiently developed heading into the draft?
IMO, he is both. And there is no guarantee he can move to LT and be as good as he was at RT. Some can and some cannot. If you want to keep Jackson at RT, and any OT drafted is intended to be the future LT then drafting one who is proven at LT seems more logical to me.

Yes, not raw. That's not to say he's perfect, but he plays with good awareness and technique. In the 22/23 playoffs, he handles the Ohio State DE's with little issue, and those guys will be NFL players.

Who is the proven LT you're referring to?

CK gets it. Mims is different. I don't think he'll be there when Miami drafts, but you bet on that kind of talent every time.

Also, he's inexperienced, not raw - big difference.

You’re going to get all of those “the first round pick has to be an immediate starter” guys like @Finswatch all riled up.

This is from a friend on another forum. Take it for what you will.
"The bottom line is that the OL, despite all the injuries, helped this offense lead the league in passing yards, deep passing yards, total yards, rushing TDs, YPC, pressure rate, TPE*, conversion rate on 3rd and 7-15, pressure rate on 3rd and 7-15, pressure rate on 5/7 step drops and Blown Block rate. Not average. Not just above average. Not just good. The best in the league in all of those categories. And second-best in points and intermediate passing yards.

Thank McD. Give Butch Barry a Nobel Prize. Credit Tua. Who cares? The bottom line is that the OL was not a problem and outperformed every other OL in the league even with the injuries that kept 4/5 starting OL out for a big chunk of the season.

PBE -- 1st
Pressure rate allowed -- 1st
Total Pressures allowed --1st
QB hits allowed -- 1st
Hurries allowed -- 1st
Sacks allowed -- 11th (with largely immobile QB)
Pass Blown Block rate -- 1st
Pass Blown Block rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 7th
Pressure rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 5th
Sack rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 2nd
Pressure rate on 5/7 step drops -- 1st
Sack rate on 5/7 step drops -- 1st
Pass Blocking Points Earned -- 1st
Pass Blocking Points Earned per play -- 1st"

(*TPE is Total Points Earned. It's a SIS metric that basically allocates EPA (Expected Points Added) points among the players on the field that contributed.)

But neither of us thinks we should ignore the OL on the draft's first two days.

Great stats and information, thanks.

My follow up is simple.

Tuas clean pocket time was 2.1 seconds for the season. Worst for any starter in the league.

Tuas time of release was 2.28 seconds. Fastest in the league.

Do you believe those metrics and stats you provided are more thanks to the actual O line? Or Tua and McDaniels scheme?

There was a clear diferrence in blocking the last 6-7 Gamez.

Would you be able to provide those same metrics, on our o line for the last 7 games?

When evaluating if pass blocking was a problem, those last 7 games are very important.

Miami no longer have their starting RG AND C

Their replacement C was one of the worst pass blocking centers last year.

Our LT and LG are hurt majority of the season.

The only constant is our RT who also gets hurt.

So for me, it really baffles me that anyone actually believes the pass blocking is OK.

Our offense was a completely diferrent team the last 6 games or so.

Great stats and information, thanks.

My follow up is simple.

Tuas clean pocket time was 2.1 seconds for the season. Worst for any starter in the league.

Tuas time of release was 2.28 seconds. Fastest in the league.

Do you believe those metrics and stats you provided are more thanks to the actual O line? Or Tua and McDaniels scheme?

There was a clear diferrence in blocking the last 6-7 Gamez.

Would you be able to provide those same metrics, on our o line for the last 7 games?

When evaluating if pass blocking was a problem, those last 7 games are very important.

Miami no longer have their starting RG AND C

Their replacement C was one of the worst pass blocking centers last year.

Our LT and LG are hurt majority of the season.

The only constant is our RT who also gets hurt.

So for me, it really baffles me that anyone actually believes the pass blocking is OK.

Our offense was a completely diferrent team the last 6 games or so.

Bored minds run amuck. Grier needs to crush it with a trade down & a starting OLineman not just for this upcoming season but for the future.

Back
Top Bottom