The Dolphins WR Room Will Be What? Who Stays, Who Goes? The Smurfs Of The 2020's? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins WR Room Will Be What? Who Stays, Who Goes? The Smurfs Of The 2020's?

Tahj Washington, Jaylen Wright, and even Achane can return kicks/punts. I’m sure with the new rules you’ll see Hill, Waddle, and even Holland back there at times but you don’t want to deploy your top players full time to return duties.

I see zero value in keeping Berrios over someone like Tahj if he shows what I think he will in camp/preseason. Berrios is a bottom of the roster type journeyman with no upside at all. If it’s close between him and a younger guy, give me the long term upside.

IMO -

Safe: Hill, Waddle, OBJ, Malik (4)
Bubble: EZ, Berrios, Cracraft, Tahj
Miracle long shot: Sanders, Schwartz, whoever else

Do we keep 6 or 7? Do we prioritize keeping at least ONE guy with decent size (EZ)? Some variables at play. If we are only going to keep 5 active on Sundays then you want your final guys to have ST value. Cracraft’s value comes as a blocker. How high of a priority?

I have a really, really good feeling about Tahj Washington the more I watch him. So do Bears fans who have spent the last few months gushing over Caleb Williams tape. I don’t care about his size…. He’s a man beater who is just ALWAYS open.

Lol at Malcolm Perry, nobody ever said that. Lynn Bowden was a 3rd round pick. EZ was a 4th round pick who has as many seasons on IR as he does catches. Expecting him to contribute is fools gold. He's had his opportunity, couldn't contribute, couldn't compete with the likes of Craycraft, Berrios, Sanders, Sheffield, Chosen nor Claypool.

All of those receivers far out-produced EZ. He should go to practice squad, nobody is going to poatch a guy who just had neck surgery and put them on their 53 for 3 weeks!

Malik was on top 100 boards routinely throughout the draft process, hence so many view him as a steal in the 6th round.

However, I do see your point about this happening every year to someone who unexpectedly falls in the draft. It's valid to not expect fireworks from him, especially considering our drafted rookies the previous 2 years have had minimal impact.

Seeing Steve Smith Jr Light up and effuse praise about him during that interview, even when he didn't get the ball on rooutes,,and how well he ran routes, how qb friendly he was and his toughness, certainly gives many hope.

SS Jr is one of the best WR you'd want on your team, a junk yard dawg, played bigger and faster than he was...so his praise and recognition carries weight with me irt Malik Washington.
All I was pointing out is that Washington needs to prove it on the field once he is given the chance in the NFL.

As far as Washington being on so many top 100 boards is concerned. Obviously NFL scouts and GM’s didn’t agree
He was a top 100 players since he was the 184th player taken in the draft.

As I stated in my previous post, I hope he is as good as some posters believe he is. Because the Dolphins need to have younger WR’s they will be able to rely on in future years once Hill and OBJ are no longer in Miami.

Also I do remember posts in which Perry was called the steal of the draft, just as Bowden was by several posters.
I never have a problem when posters praise individual players once the Dolphins draft a player but I also realize that playing in the NFL is far different than playing in college.

Maybe Washington will eventually prove to be a solid player for the Dolphins but considering that only 2% of 6th round draftees ever become solid starters in the NFL. The odds are certainly against Washington as he begins his NFL career.

Which is exactly what happened with the o-line last season. I read that Grier and McDaniel were of the opinion that the fans were more concerned about the state of the o-line than they were. And, due to signing injury-prone FAs, injuries to both starters and back-ups, a lack of quality depth, and no actual Center on the roster to replace Williams, it seems that the fans were right, and Grier and McDaniel were wrong.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if the WR corps becomes an issue this year. We saw last year how ineffective McDaniel's offense could be when defenses took away Hill and/or Waddle, or when they were injured.
It’s why McDaniel better scheme up some multiple tight end sets utilizing their underused fullback when they have to play small ball in the playoffs in the cold. It’s what got the skill-position deprived Chiefs through the playoffs last year. Mahomes helped of course, but Andy Reid played rope-a-dope offense all year and changed it up in January.

All I was pointing out is that Washington needs to prove it on the field once he is given the chance in the NFL.

As far as Washington being on so many top 100 boards is concerned. Obviously NFL scouts and GM’s didn’t agree
He was a top 100 players since he was the 184th player taken in the draft.

As I stated in my previous post, I hope he is as good as some posters believe he is. Because the Dolphins need to have younger WR’s they will be able to rely on in future years once Hill and OBJ are no longer in Miami.

Also I do remember posts in which Perry was called the steal of the draft, just as Bowden was by several posters.
I never have a problem when posters praise individual players once the Dolphins draft a player but I also realize that playing in the NFL is far different than playing in college.

Maybe Washington will eventually prove to be a solid player for the Dolphins but considering that only 2% of 6th round draftees ever become solid starters in the NFL. The odds are certainly against Washington as he begins his NFL career.
All fair points. But it can happen. The interesting thing is you tend to have a sense of it early in training camp. Puppies either bite or they don't. Same can be said for our two early picks.

I might be in the minority but i don't think obj brings much to the table at this point in his career. We have enough young guns on the squad. Its tough to pick the final spots though because we usually have 2-3 injuries at that position before the season starts. Probably last standing healthy bodies

I might be in the minority but i don't think obj brings much to the table at this point in his career. We have enough young guns on the squad. Its tough to pick the final spots though because we usually have 2-3 injuries at that position before the season starts. Probably last standing healthy bodies
How many of those "young guns" can jump in at all three receiver spots if needed? ZERO. OBJ can. How many out of Cracraft, Berrios, EZ, etc. etc. etc. can do that? ZERO. OBJ can. You are paying this man $3m to be the answer to all of the questions that shortstopped this offense last year.... if he gives us what he gave the Ravens in '23 you will be stoked out of your mind. And how about the "young guns" learning from him for a year?

If EZ is healthy and plays as well as he did in training camp last year, I believe he makes the final 53. If he isn’t healthy or he doesn’t doesn’t show improvement after 3 years in the McDaniel offense, he’s gone.

Otherwise 1) Hill
2) Waddle
3) OBJ
4) Berrios
5) Cracraft
6) M Washington

While Washington had a good career in college, I still need to see him in the NFL. There always seems to be a late round player that posters jump on and claim he was the steal of the draft and will come in and contribute immediately.

That’s what was stated about EZ, Lynn Bowden, and Malcolm Perry in recent years. While Malik Washington may end up being better than any of these WR draft picks. Until he proves it on the field, I can’t list him above any of the top 5 veteran WR’s now on the roster.

I do hope Malik ends up being as good as some posters believe he will be. Because I expect Hill to only be in Miami 2 more years and OBJ is likely one and done because of his age. So hopefully Washington will be a long term solution to play with Waddle over the next several years once Hill is no longer a Dolphin.
BTW I am not suprised Lynn Bowden flamed out here, and wherever he went subsequently. I still cannot believe we did that deal. The Raiders were willing to give up on Bowden in training camp, right after they drafted him. Obviously, when getting a better look at the kid, in camp, against NFL players, they figured out he either wasnt good or had an attitude problem, or just didnt get it, or all of the above. Should have been a big red flag that the Raiders were willing to deal him right away. Should have passed, and then waited to see if he got cut.

Malcolm Perry, I am surprised he failed out right away too. And elsewhere. He had great production in college, and seemed like a good fit. Think had a good attitude too. He fell in the draft because of his measurables (small and not very fast) BUT i thought his most important measurables were very good. Even though his 40 time was not great, his 3-cone drill and shuttle were very good. For a slot receiver, often that is more indicitive of how good they will be. Short area quickness really matters in the slot. So I thought Perry had the production, the smarts (played QB too), and the right measurables, but he ended up stinking. I got that one wrong for sure.

How many of those "young guns" can jump in at all three receiver spots if needed? ZERO. OBJ can. How many out of Cracraft, Berrios, EZ, etc. etc. etc. can do that? ZERO. OBJ can. You are paying this man $3m to be the answer to all of the questions that shortstopped this offense last year.... if he gives us what he gave the Ravens in '23 you will be stoked out of your mind. And how about the "young guns" learning from him for a year?
You think too highly f ObJ. First lets see if he can stay healthy for the whole season

You think too highly f ObJ. First lets see if he can stay healthy for the whole season
That's why you get the discount. Ravens paid $15 million for him last year, we got him for twenty cents on the dollar. Again, we get his '23 production at that price and I just don't see the problem. You're projecting injuries to bitch about a guy we're paying $3m. In no way, shape, or form am I conjuring vintage OBJ, I'll happily take 40 catches, 600 or so yards and a handful of touchdowns. Show the "young guns" a thing or two about being a professional WR along the way. How is that anything but a win?

Last edited:
Hill
Waddle
OBJ
Berrios
EZ
Washington
Tahj

Cracraft offers really nothing too special, I'd rather keep Fortson over him as a big slot option to block and get short throws. the 3rd QB doesn't count as a roster spot right? In that scenario I keep 7 Wrs

That's why you get the discount. Ravens paid $15 million for him last year, we got him for twenty cents on the dollar. Again, we get his '23 production at that price and I just don't see the problem. You're projecting injuries to bitch about a guy we're paying $3m. In no way, shape, or form am I conjuring vintage OBJ, I'll happily take 40 catches, 600 or so yards and a handful of touchdowns. Show the "young guns" a thing or two about being a professional WR along the way. How is that anything but a win?
Not bitching at all and i hope be balls out. I just feel it stunts the growth of the younger players. I would rather see what we have in the rookies. I certainly hope it works out but we will see

i think people need to be more intellectually honest about the $3mm thing, especially until we find out what the incentives are. if he doesnt do much, and doesnt hit the incentives, was he a good deal for the $3mm or a waste of money? conversely if he hits the incentives, he will make $8mm. will he have been worth it? dont know, until we know what those incentives are either. normally, you want a player to hit his incentives, if they are legit incentives and have a high bar. that means they really produced. fingers crossed these are the types of incentives OBJ has, then I will be happy if he hits them, and makes the full $8mm. also i dont think the 20 cents on the dollar thing is fair. because the ravens overpaid, does not mean we got a deal. i guess the only discount you could claim we got is if he did have other offers, for more money, and he came here instead for less $. that would be the actual discount. even though there are stories about kc and buffalo, tough to know if they are true, and what those teams actually offered. my guess is if more, it would not be much more. so our real discount would be closer to $1mm, not $12mm.

Did it matter last year? We led the league is passing
Until they faced good teams who were able to neutralize their passing game. They had no answer for those teams that played them physical. That is where the lack of size hurts them.

Back
Top Bottom