The Eich Factor | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Eich Factor

We've kicked this around...

Does anyone here have a subscription to the pff metrics so we can see his numbers for his Guard play?

Last year at OG, Eich's overall PFF grade was 75.7, his pass block grade was 73.1 and his run block grade was 68.5, all solidly above average. In pass pro, he gave up no sacks, 1 hit and 2 hurries in 106 pass pro snaps.

For the first time, Eich played some at RG and there results were . . . good. It was only 2 games -- Weeks 11 and 12 against LV and NYJ -- but in those two games he had only 1 blown block in 135 snaps, which was a pass play that resulted in a hurry, but not a sack or QB hit. Over the two games he was in on 72 pass blocking snaps and 63 run blocking snaps and he had no blown blocks in the run game. In those two games, on runs up the middle, inside right and off-tackle right the Dolphins had 14 carries for 57 yards (5.4 ypc). There were no backside pulls to the left.

Thinking he probably faced Quinnen Williams in the Jets game I started to get excited, but it looks like Williams didn't line up at LDT in that game. In that game, the Jets LDTs were mostly Solomon Thomas and Quinton Jefferson. In the Raiders game, the LDTs were Adam Butler, John Jenkins and Bilal Nichols. Not stars, but competent players.

for those who want Eich cut, who'd be the backup center if he does?.....need to have an option there. he said before that RG is his best position and at this point I think he's the starting RG unless he gets beaten by someone in camp but even if that happens, it's hard to find a guy that can play anywhere along the line......last year he was on a walking boot after games and yet he'd play the next game which is more we can say for some of the other players we had.

Anyone else. You, me maybe the water boy, the towel boy hell give Blake Ferguson a go all I know is I never want to see Eich play a single snap at C again.

Look up last year's snap counts...

Despite the walking boot during the season, Eichenberg had the second highest number of snaps among the linemen.

He gutted it out, even though I'm sure he knew he was playing at less than 100%. A lot of guys don't want to do that because it leads to bad film and lower offers.

If Eich wins the job over Driscoll, it'll partially be because he's shown the team that he's tough enough to keep going.

Don’t think Eich will compete with Driscoll more likely Wynn for LG. Robert Jones will compete with Driscoll for RG.

Eich was our backup center all year from camp on, he had taken snaps in practice the whole time. He's never played right guard before either, so there's that...

Rock solid based on what exactly? Hope? All signs and stats point toward the opposite.

Admire your guys' faith, but even Jackson flashed before he became solid. Eich hasn't shown any flashes at any position, it's a lost cause IMO. He's starting because Grier just doesn't want to invest draft capital in IOL, pure and simple.
He played two full games at RG last year and was very good in them.

He also played a full season at LG in 2022 (his first time ever playing guard, and also his first time playing in McDaniel’s scheme), and while he was awful, it was important experience.

I don’t think he had any chance at success starting as a rookie at LT in 2021 or playing guard for the first time in his life in a new blocking scheme for a new coach in 2022, or playing center on one leg in 2023. I also don’t think he even has the physical capacity to excel at LT or center. They’re terrible fits for him. He is too short-armed and unathletic for LT, and too tall and top heavy for center.

But I think he’s a reasonably good offensive line prospect with all the tools necessary to excel at OG. He is a way above average athlete with good strength for an OG, and his short arms won’t hurt him nearly as much there. He also now has experience both playing OG and doing so in McDaniel’s scheme, so I am cautiously optimistic.

IMO Eich is now a functional starter at G. I do believe that Wynn and Driscoll are better at LG an RG respectively, but I wouldn't be distressed if Eich played at either G position. But I do think he is poor at C.

Look up last year's snap counts...

Despite the walking boot during the season, Eichenberg had the second highest number of snaps among the linemen.

He gutted it out, even though I'm sure he knew he was playing at less than 100%. A lot of guys don't want to do that because it leads to bad film and lower offers.

If Eich wins the job over Driscoll, it'll partially be because he's shown the team that he's tough enough to keep going.
100%. People on here love Holland and I take no issue with that, but Holland sat out games he could have played at the end of the year for exactly that reason. Bad tape and risk of more significant injury would’ve hurt his market value going into 2024. He didn’t tough it out, and the team suffered as a result.

He doesn’t get criticized for that, but Eichenberg gets roasted for gutting it out to help the team while playing poorly.

Last year at OG, Eich's overall PFF grade was 75.7, his pass block grade was 73.1 and his run block grade was 68.5, all solidly above average. In pass pro, he gave up no sacks, 1 hit and 2 hurries in 106 pass pro snaps.

For the first time, Eich played some at RG and there results were . . . good. It was only 2 games -- Weeks 11 and 12 against LV and NYJ -- but in those two games he had only 1 blown block in 135 snaps, which was a pass play that resulted in a hurry, but not a sack or QB hit. Over the two games he was in on 72 pass blocking snaps and 63 run blocking snaps and he had no blown blocks in the run game. In those two games, on runs up the middle, inside right and off-tackle right the Dolphins had 14 carries for 57 yards (5.4 ypc). There were no backside pulls to the left.

Thinking he probably faced Quinnen Williams in the Jets game I started to get excited, but it looks like Williams didn't line up at LDT in that game. In that game, the Jets LDTs were mostly Solomon Thomas and Quinton Jefferson. In the Raiders game, the LDTs were Adam Butler, John Jenkins and Bilal Nichols. Not stars, but competent players.
Thx for the actual data. Eich had some genuinely good games last season. However, it doesn't fit the pervading FH narrative that if he wasn't an instant star then GM Grier screwed up and he can't play/should be cut. What too many don't appreciate is that sometimes players who played very well in college take a while to adjust to the NFL and have to learn from their mistakes. This is a big year for Liam Eichenberg as to whether he can continue his improvement or not. Rooting for him to succeed.

Last edited:
I’m hoping for the best for him but I’m not optimistic at the moment. That’s just my opinion

Prior to last year probably would’ve said the same about Austin Jackson so who knows maybe ol Liam surprises us
I’m in that camp. I’d love nothing more than for Eich to make an AJ-like, or better, improvement for 2024…and I’d never say it’s impossible, just not counting on it…but if the coaches are counting on it, that gives me SOME hope.

No I would not offer him a contract extension. He has a lot to prove this season.
Totally agree he has to prove himself as a starter or even as a primary backup, but if he does prove to be a capable starting OG the price to retain him might double from now to the time he hits FA In a year. It's a risk either way I guess.

I really don’t think it’s because Grier doesn’t want to invest in the IOL position. I think he listens to McDaniel and the coaches and McDaniel and Barry obviously have more confidence in Eichenberg and the other interior offensive linemen on the team now than a lot of posters on here do.
By my count Grier has made 69 draft selections during his tenure.

5 Guards
0 Centers

13.8% of draft selections for an entire position group. One of the most important being Center.

There's also the fact the positions he has selected he has been pretty bad at. All busts except Hunt and obviously Eich who's on the brink. 2 round 2's, 1 round 3, 1 round 4, 1 round 5.

Then there is his word for it:

"You guys you probably are more worried than we are" about depth on offensive line and tight end. "It doesn't end with the draft, still guys we're talking to in free agency."

Back
Top Bottom