The Guard Position | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

How does “a long term replacement for Armstead” have anything to do with 2024? I’ll answer that for you, absolutely nothing but I’m sure you knew that
Not to put too fine a point on it but if being good in 2024 comes at the expense of being good in 2025 and beyond then screw 2024. Until we are well stocked enough to make personnel decisions on a rolling 3-5 year horizon we are still rebuilding. That said, i do believe the current OL room is better than the one we ended 2023 with.

Williams was replaced by a much inferior player. Hunt was replaced by who? Driskell? Come on? If you feel ok with this line then fine but I **** sure dont
No i do think there is room for improvement but the cost to do more than has been done was too high. Team needs other positions too, and needs to fit it all under the cap now and in future years.

AJ seemed to make some tremendous strides in year 4 with Butch.

Eich has driven me nuts, but there's a chance he develops, or the staff believes he turns the corner like AJ.

Driscoll was a solid pick up, I remember liking him during his draft year, and the eagles really coach up their o linemen.

Lots of people don't like Wynn, but when he was playing the offense played really well, but imo he looked the part of a solid guard, plus he's affordable.

Brewer is very agile and quick, and looks to be real good in run game and pulling. How are his snaps? His pass pro numbers are concerning, hope, lol that word, but hope Butch can work his stuff with pass pro technique with Brewer.

Rob Jones has been a solid udfa for us.

I too hope to see another vet, as there's a bunch of young guys on the interior OL.

I expect that Jack Driscoll is a better free agent acquisition than many of you realize. His experience with the Philadelphia Eagles (4th round Draft pick from Auburn in 2020) behind some stud O-linemen is there for all to see. He played 54 games in Philadelphia (17 as a starter) He's 27 years 34 days old, 6'5" and 310 lbs plays tackle and guard.
Driscoll's most extensive action came in 2021 when he started one game at RT followed by 8 games at RG. Week 4 through Week 12. His PFF grade was 70.5. Pass blocking was 73.9 and run blocking was 64.1. 512 total snaps. That is very good. I think we'd be pretty satisfied if he did that well for an entire season as our RG. He is still just 27, so could develop into a solid starter for a few seasons.

Williams was replaced by a much inferior player. Hunt was replaced by who? Driskell? Come on? If you feel ok with this line then fine but I **** sure dont
Considering Brewer was graded the 11th-best center, calling him much inferior is inaccurate and unfair. There were 25 centers last season worse than Brewer. I would never use the word inferior to describe a player in the top 1/3 at his position. Sure, Connor graded 2nd overall but since they were in different offensive schemes it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison. Let's see how Brewer does at center this season and if he doesn't live up to Connor's standards, then complain.

How does “a long term replacement for Armstead” have anything to do with 2024? I’ll answer that for you, absolutely nothing but I’m sure you knew that
The chances of Armstead playing all 17 games are very slim. If he misses time in the last half of the season, Paul could very well step in to start. That isn't absolutely nothing.

I thought Wynn did well at LG. Not concerned in the slightest about LG.

Need a starting caliber back up if he gets hurt, of course.

Eich probably starts at RG.

Need a starting caliber RG in case he gets injured, or falters.

I'd prefer it not be one guy backing up both spots.

Last year we were bailing water with some third stringers starting.
The issue with Wynn is durability. I would argue we need to sign one more veteran guard like potentially Risner out of Minnesota.

Considering Brewer was graded the 11th-best center, calling him much inferior is inaccurate and unfair. There were 25 centers last season worse than Brewer. I would never use the word inferior to describe a player in the top 1/3 at his position. Sure, Connor graded 2nd overall but since they were in different offensive schemes it wasn't an apples-to-apples comparison. Let's see how Brewer does at center this season and if he doesn't live up to Connor's standards, then complain.
You can’t reason with some of the lemmings who just want to complain about anything/everything.

I have a sneaky little feeling that you don't know that Brewer is inferior to Williams, you have just decided that he is.

I've been watching football for 30 years, and if I said I understood the intricacies of line play, I would be completely lying. Some posters here do, and they seem very excited about Brewer as our new C.

So I'm excited to learn from you why stupid Grier and McDaniel went after him so hard in FA. Come on, educate me. I want you to tell me what you saw on his Tennessee tape and why you think his performance won't improve in our system.

For all the hand ringing here, Grier and McD seem to have a plan in place to fix it, Guard didn’t warrant it enough to be addressed through the draft. I know the suspense is killing some here, and I am concerned too but I also think they have a solid plan in mind.

Not to put too fine a point on it but if being good in 2024 comes at the expense of being good in 2025 and beyond then screw 2024. Until we are well stocked enough to make personnel decisions on a rolling 3-5 year horizon we are still rebuilding. That said, i do believe the current OL room is better than the one we ended 2023 with.
we lost our best two OL guys from last year....how can you say our OL situation is better now?

No kidding, really.🤣
This response has nothing to do with last year.

Back
Top Bottom