The Guard Position | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

I was comparimg to the end of last year, when we had no Williams, no Wynn, no Armstead and a dinged up Hunt. Wynn and Williams are healthy for now, there is more/upgraded depth behind them, Brewer was brought in and the addition of Driscoll could be more like-for-like substitute for Hunt. Depth is where the principal upgtade is but compared to end of last season this OL room is better.
The "word" on Williams is that he possibly/probably won't be playing football at all... medical retirement. So, Brewer is our starter and we don't have a backup C. I wondered why you didn't seem concerned in other threads -- sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🙁

I was comparimg to the end of last year, when we had no Williams, no Wynn, no Armstead and a dinged up Hunt. Wynn and Williams are healthy for now, there is more/upgraded depth behind them, Brewer was brought in and the addition of Driscoll could be more like-for-like substitute for Hunt. Depth is where the principal upgtade is but compared to end of last season this OL room is better.

Just a clarification here.

Not only is Williams not healthy, he isn't even on the roster if he were.

Carry on.....

Williams was replaced by a much inferior player. Hunt was replaced by who? Driskell? Come on? If you feel ok with this line then fine but I **** sure dont
OL at beginning of last year was good but had little depth. At end of last year not good and zero depth. Compared to end of last year the line has only Hunt as a meaningful subtraction while Brewer, Driscoll and Paul are meaningful adds whether they all start or not. Some of the younger players will be improved just from more time under Butch, others will have healed their injuries and improved depth means they wont have to play through injury so often and can be healthier at season end.

I guess it is natural for some to see only the negatives but there have been net improvements made this offseason and without shortchanging other positions through use of cap and draft capital.

Just a clarification here.

Not only is Williams not healthy, he isn't even on the roster if he were.

Carry on.....
My bad I meant that Armstead is healthy. Multitasking causes errors... I was not counting Williams at all, but do expect we will carry a backup center on the PS.

The "word" on Williams is that he possibly/probably won't be playing football at all... medical retirement. So, Brewer is our starter and we don't have a backup C. I wondered why you didn't seem concerned in other threads -- sorry to be the bearer of bad news 🙁
Sorry meant Armstead not Wiliams.

we lost our best two OL guys from last year....how can you say our OL situation is better now?
I agree and that's what worries me.

It shouldn’t. He’s maybe the most athletic linemen in the league. He’s going to be a monster in Miami’s scheme especially in the run game. As for passing I wouldn’t look into his passing stats/pressures. He was blocking for Tannehill who we all know loves to hang onto the ball way too long and Levis who again loved to try to keep plays alive.

Miami’s average time to pass was 2.33 seconds while Tennessee’s was 2.76. Nearly almost a half second difference which is an eternity in the NFL. Much easier when you have to hold a block much less.

OL at beginning of last year was good but had little depth. At end of last year not good and zero depth. Compared to end of last year the line has only Hunt as a meaningful subtraction while Brewer, Driscoll and Paul are meaningful adds whether they all start or not. Some of the younger players will be improved just from more time under Butch, others will have healed their injuries and improved depth means they wont have to play through injury so often and can be healthier at season end.

I guess it is natural for some to see only the negatives but there have been net improvements made this offseason and without shortchanging other positions through use of cap and draft capital.
I hope your right but I have my doubts

I don’t value guards either. I build an OL with tackles and center before worrying about guards and value other premium positions before guard needs creep into my head.

All that said, our IOL situation scares the hell out of me, which is why I was open to a guy like Barton. Connor Williams and Hunt were really good inside. When they got hurt, this OL struggled. Both guys are gone, replaced by Brewer and Driscoll, a significant talent reduction. And forgive me if I don’t feel comfortable banking on Wynn to stay healthy (only played in 16/34 games past 2 seasons) or Eich holding down a spot. Plus as awesome as Brewer is in the run game, he’s bad in pass pro.

Injuries held this team back last season. This OL could hold it back this year. All that speed at RB and WR won’t matter if this OL can’t hold up. Armstead and Wynn have to stay healthy.

So
You're not embarrassed to admit that you have an extremely strong opinion about somebody you've never seen play? And other more informed folks have told you where you're going wrong, but you still want to hang on stats? If it was me I would be really embarrassed and I'd wonder where I'd gone wrong in life, why I never learned that not all opinions are equal, and sometimes it's better to listen. But I'm talking about me, and how I would feel.
Embarrassed? Nah dude I’m nothing but a fan just like you. I’m going by the opinion of the ppl who do this for a living (not me not you) if they say Brewer gave up x amount of pressure and x amount of sacks that’s what I’m going with. It’s a pretty unanimous opinion that Williams was a better C than Brewer across the board so that’s what I’m basing my “strong opinion” on. I hope I’m wrong about the Oline but if im not I hope you enjoy watching Tua getting sodomized on Sundays

Note:
Didn't not see this but:
Player signed after Monday (today) at 4 p.m. ET no longer affects the compensatory pick process.
As a guy always pounding the table for Oline help, what is your opinion on Paul?

Back
Top Bottom