The Guard Position | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

It shouldn’t. He’s maybe the most athletic linemen in the league. He’s going to be a monster in Miami’s scheme especially in the run game. As for passing I wouldn’t look into his passing stats/pressures. He was blocking for Tannehill who we all know loves to hang onto the ball way too long and Levis who again loved to try to keep plays alive.

Miami’s average time to pass was 2.33 seconds while Tennessee’s was 2.76. Nearly almost a half second difference which is an eternity in the NFL. Much easier when you have to hold a block much less.

Tua's avg time to pass is a function of both McDs scheme, but also the fact that Tua had no choice but to deliver quickly. When the line breaks down or no one is open, he hasnt learned to improvise, run, or hit receiver 3 and 4. So that quick time to pass stat is a bit misleading. We saw when teams adjusted late in the year, Tua and McD had no answer.

As a guy always pounding the table for Oline help, what is your opinion on Paul?
Extremely happy to see such interest in the OL (way overdue).
Not necessarily my pick but my toes are tingling a bit. Do see and understand the DE pick.

Pissed off at Steelers picks, would have been my dream. Fant. and Fazier...damn and right before us.
(not unusual for us).
Draft being such a crap shot and lacking much value from the people who know (lol). I like the pick and see a potential very high ceiling for Paul with the feeling of a organization I am beginning to really develop some confidence in..
The old standby "we'll just have to wait and see" but very satisfied. Love a high quality G FA and hope they are not finished.

Tua's avg time to pass is a function of both McDs scheme, but also the fact that Tua had no choice but to deliver quickly. When the line breaks down or no one is open, he hasnt learned to improvise, run, or hit receiver 3 and 4. So that quick time to pass stat is a bit misleading. We saw when teams adjusted late in the year, Tua and McD had no answer.
I've said this before... but some of this tracks back to the fact that we had no credible receiving RB or tall Xs. These are the two positions that generally are targets when your first and second reads are covered.

I think the additions of Jonnu and Wright will help in this regard.

I've said this before... but some of this tracks back to the fact that we had no credible receiving RB or tall Xs. These are the two positions that generally are targets when your first and second reads are covered.

I think the additions of Jonnu and Wright will help in this regard.
Yes, lets hope so.

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by Matthew Jones. How did a starting lineman from Ohio State slip through to the UDFA ranks?

Not really true. While it’s part of McDaniel’s system, Tua’s best asset is his anticipation. We could have the 90’s cowboys oline and Tua’s still not going to be holding onto the ball for 2.76 seconds. That would take away just about any advantage he has with anticipation and his arm strength won’t allow him to consistently get away with late throws. Tua’s first 3 seasons he was right around low 2.5’s which is probably his sweet spot but once oline started to get injured he had to throw even faster this year.

There was no answer because you can’t consistently receive the ball and get to 3-4 reads in 2.3 seconds. Oline needs to be better and get back up to that 2.5 mark. Either way 2.5 is still greatly faster than what Brewer had in Tenn.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I'm intrigued by Matthew Jones. How did a starting lineman from Ohio State slip through to the UDFA ranks?
He's slow-footed... yes, he played on a high level team, but the other Michigan Guard didn't get drafted either (Jones).
The slower guys are just not valued on most NFL teams.

Not really true. While it’s part of McDaniel’s system, Tua’s best asset is his anticipation. We could have the 90’s cowboys oline and Tua’s still not going to be holding onto the ball for 2.76 seconds. That would take away just about any advantage he has with anticipation and his arm strength won’t allow him to consistently get away with late throws. Tua’s first 3 seasons he was right around low 2.5’s which is probably his sweet spot but once oline started to get injured he had to throw even faster this year.

There was no answer because you can’t consistently receive the ball and get to 3-4 reads in 2.3 seconds. Oline needs to be better and get back up to that 2.5 mark. Either way 2.5 is still greatly faster than what Brewer had in Tenn.
I'll stand on the fact that Ive yet to see Tua excel whe things break down or 1 and 2 are covered. Good qbs can do that. Thats why folks label him a system qb.

We have some cap space coming up in June for X's contract. I think we sign a serviceable vet eventually...
Snoop Dogg GIF by Verzuz

Revised playcalling (with a safety outlet always built in for when coverage denies the down field targets and/or pressure closes in) is a must, and so is growth on Tua's part to accept smaller gains rather than take sacks or risk interceptions throwing into heavy coverage. He should probably also be more aware of opportunities to pick up first downs in his own. Those things would be true no matter any investment in the OLine--even the theoretical OL #1 cannot hold blocks indefinitely and sometimes defenders just find a gap.

"If the likes of Robert Jones, Liam Eichenberg, or Chasen Hines manage to stick their noses into those competitions, great. But Jones and Eichenberg are not, nor have they ever been, fits for an Alex Gibbs system. They were acquired under a previous regime. I'm getting a little tired of pissing up a rope on those two. Eichenberg in particular has $3.4 million of green coming to him this season and I'm not sure he should survive camp cuts at that price tag, unless he undergoes an Austin Jackson-like off season of physical and mental re-make."

I agree with most of this, but there's no indication that Tua was throwing faster due to fear of pressure due to OL injuries. On the contrary, his time to throw was faster in the first half of the season than it was in the second half. This is a timing-based passing offense with progressions. If the first read (usually Tyreek and sometimes Waddle) is open (or likely to get open very soon) Tua is supposed to throw it quickly and that's what he does. If the first read isn't open, he moves to the second read (usually Waddle, but sometimes Tyreek) and if he is open then Tua is supposed to throw it quickly and he does. Fortunately Tyreek and Waddle get open a lot and that there't that many times he needs to go to a 3rd or 4th read.

Back
Top Bottom