The "Size Matters" Post | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Size Matters" Post

Toughness and “dawg” matters too. I see someone like Malik Washington (5’8 1/2 weighing in at 191 combine)….. and I watch him consistently break tackles and create yards after CONTACT. You have 6’3/210 WRs who shy away from contact every chance they get.
Good point...

For those fretting about not measuring up...

Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, 5'7"
Mark McMillan, CB, 5'7"
Trindon Holliday, KR/PR, 5'5"
Bob Sanders, S, 5'8"
Antoine Winfield, CB, 5'9"
Maurice Jones-Drew, RB, 5'8"
Steve Smith, WR, 5'9"
Wes Welker, WR, 5'8-9"
Darren Sproles, RB, 5'6"
"Soapy" Shapiro, A, 5'1"
Barry Sanders, RB, 5'8"
Brandon Banks, WR/KR, 5'7"
Ray Rice, RB, 5'8"
Dexter McCluster, WR, 5'8"
Doug Martin, RB, 5'9"
Brandon Boykin, CB, 5'9"
Danny Woodhead, RB, 5'8"

You can also peruse through this massive work and find quite a few more examples of all sizes to enjoy:

I was actually thinking about this last night and almost posted a thread on it but it was late and I said **** it...

Ngl, I haven't followed the draft much this time around because of work and ****, basically caught up reading here before going to bed. I noticed that 2 words specifically littered every thread: Small and steal.

Now I'm not going to argue that being taller isn't an advantage with all else being equal, but there's no question in my mind that it's over valued in the NFL. The advantage is quite obvious because most productive players tend to be the big/tall guys, they make up probably 80%+ of the talent coming from the college game. There are still smaller players that produce day in day out in college and in the NFL, most of the time it's because they have other elite traits that make their size irrelevant, and for whatever reason, size is often a flag that no production, tape or accolades could shake off.

This very much feels like a small ball draft in a way. You look for market inefficiencies and pounce on the value associated with it.

In all seriousness i worry about IOL being too tall given Tua's more average height. However since we have an accurate QB receiver height and catch radius matters less, and it allows us to prioritize other characterstics and pay less for them (kind of like a QB with quick processing and release allows the team to spend less on OL and deploy those resources elsewhere).
It's a valid concern and I believe it's showed up a time or two when someone was wide open underneath and Tua didn't see or look for the easy completion.

In any case, that's the reason passing lanes are made when designing offenses - not every QB can see over the mountain if linemen and it allows a lower trajectory on the underneath stuff.

Now, obtaining and maintaining that passing lane was very troublesome during the year, especially when we were down to the dregs of the roster attempting to block.

Toughness and “dawg” matters too. I see someone like Malik Washington (5’8 1/2 weighing in at 191 combine)….. and I watch him consistently break tackles and create yards after contact. He has insane balance and looks like a running back with the ball in his hands. Then you have 6’3/210 WRs who shy away from contact every chance they get.

Size does matter but there’s more to the story.
Like Kalen Ballage! Look like Tarzan. Play like Jane!

Yeah sometimes one can be too big.....from what I've been told 😉

Speaking of which, will Tua be able to see over Patrick Paul?

Back
Top Bottom