The UDFA thread... | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The UDFA thread...

Wynn starts at LG. IMO, Winner of Jones/Driscoll starts at RG, and loser backs up both Guard spots. Where does Eichenberg fit?

Eich, Cotton, Hines are squarely on the roster bubble. Eich's $4m salary doesn't help him.
Who is our backup center? That's my biggest fear. The old vet that is cut after the draft or the Risners of the world, have to be able to slide over if Brewer gets hurt. We cannot toss another season away because we think we can have Eich fill in. Grier and Mike have proven that they value tackles and center and treat guards like plug ins. That's fine provided that there's a plan if Brewer gets hurt.

After further research, I found that Matthew Jones greatly improved his cone time at his Pro Day. The Combine was 8.19 which is not far off from Lester Cotton's Pro Day 8.23. Jones improved to 7.90 at his Pro Day. Still not optimal but better. He also ran the shuttle after skipping it at the Combine and did a 4.88. Ideally, you'd like the shuttle time to be around 4.50 or better. Cotton had a 5.00 shuttle at his Pro Day. Jones also did a 1.70 hand held 10-yard and 5.13 forty at the Combine. While Cotton ran a 1.84 and 5.30 at his Pro Day.

Also, Robert Jones may be our best veteran G currently rostered and his Pro Day times were 1.83 and 5.32 in the 10 and 40. His shuttle was 4.84, and cone was 8.16. But on the field, Jones has proven he could even be an emergency RT, so moves well enough in a practical environment.

PFF also gave M. Jones decent grades in 2023. 70.9 overall. 68th out of 628 guards. 67.8 in pass blocking and 71.7 in run blocking.
His overall grade was 83.7 in 2021, when he was the 15th best guard in college, but declined to 75.7 when he was the 38th guard, but declined again this past season. Still not terrible though, but you'd like to see him trending in the other direction.
Went back to look at Matthew Jones Highlights and it appears to be a case of the workouts not equating to the onfield performance. I usually try to remind myself of that. Use the workouts to confirm what they show onfield, but do not let the workouts take priority. It looks like Jones moves as well as either Christian to me, and they were the two career RGs many wanted to see one of get drafted by Miami. Jones is like the consolation prize for no Haynes or Mahogany.

Storm Duck is perfect, that's your starting NFL corner, 6-0 195, ran 4.43, jumped 39" and 11-02. That is day 1 corner if you did not know.

Matt Jones is the best guard on the roster, maybe Driscoll is better, but that is the starting right guard.
This guy Matos has a great frame for a starting left tackle 6-7, 313, great athleticism, ran 4.95 40, that is first round. Maybe he is like Patrick Paul with 37" arms, too long to play football, there is no info on that.

Mark Perry at 213/6-0, ran 4.43 at pro day, jumped 37 and 10-11. Those are starting numbers.

Those three guys should be shoo ins for 53 roster.
Storm Duck also
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.25
3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Went back to look at Matthew Jones Highlights and it appears to be a case of the workouts not equating to the onfield performance. I usually try to remind myself of that. Use the workouts to confirm what they show onfield, but do not let the workouts take priority. It looks like Jones moves as well as either Christian to me, and they were the two career RGs many wanted to see one of get drafted by Miami. Jones is like the consolation prize for no Haynes or Mahogany.

Certainly worth a look in camp. I never reach any strong conclusions from highlight packages, but I didn't see him asked to do any pulling in the run game. That is a must have ability here. He did show good footwork for the most part, so maybe that was simply a matter of the type of offense.

That's a strange thing to "root for" as a fan.

Wouldn't it be better to root for him to make a big jump as a player, and help the franchise?

I understand if one doesn't believe in the ability of a player. That is a different thing than actively rooting for him to fail, IMO
I did root for him. Since day 1. I've seen enough now. He'll get Tua killed.

Who is our backup center? That's my biggest fear. The old vet that is cut after the draft or the Risners of the world, have to be able to slide over if Brewer gets hurt. We cannot toss another season away because we think we can have Eich fill in. Grier and Mike have proven that they value tackles and center and treat guards like plug ins. That's fine provided that there's a plan if Brewer gets hurt.
That's where I'm hoping UTEP C Andrew Meyer that we signed will be our miracle. Otherwise Eich is the backup Center, which is bad news.

That's a lot of Cheese for someone who's got so little experience. Butch Barry must be drooling.

I'm sure the Dolphins and others teams know a lot more than I do, however my gut tells me it would be easier to transition someone like Matos, who has no football experience to the defensive line or even as a blocking tight end. Seems like experience and technique is too important for a tackle and would take years for someone like Matos to learn just to play at the college level. I bet he would be scary extra tight end on goal line situations.

Back
Top Bottom