The "Who You Would have Drafted" Thread | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Who You Would have Drafted" Thread

You can never have enough edges. Remember how lacking our pass rush was in KC? Would've been nice to have Chop and Mo instead of guys just off the street imho
Right. In retrospect, probably the right pick. Robinson's style reminds me of Cam Wake. If he's close to that, everyone will love this pick.

One thing that stands out about the draft was that Grier brought in players who are going to work to get better, non-stop motor types.

I think the new guy IS more powerful. He carries 210# now at barely 21 years old.

Mostert and Achane are scatback types where Wright has a more traditional bell cow frame. Kamara weighed 214# at the combine. Zeke and Barkley were heavier, but they were also going to power-gap blocking teams.

I think Wright will probably end up in the 215-220 range as he matures... and yes, I do think he's our RB1 by next year at the latest.
Scouting reports on Wright also indicates he can block and is a good receiver out of the backfield. So, definitely a complete back.

Also, Paul is described as physical even though that hadn't translated to his run blocking (yet).

Miami has playmakers at every skill position except at tight end. Although, I'm still not convinced the Dolphins can eek out those bad weather games.

Right. In retrospect, probably the right pick. Robinson's style reminds me of Cam Wake. If he's close to that, everyone will love this pick.

One thing that stands out about the draft was that Grier brought in players who are going to work to get better, non-stop motor types.
Cam Wake would be amazing. I like the Danielle Hunter comp I keep seeing. Athletic af but not a lot of "production" in college. I put production in quotes bc sacks don't always tell the story. His pressure rate was rated really high by pff. Chubb and JP also have high pressure rates so somebody will benefit from that. To your second point, I couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of high ceiling guys that don't seem like they love the sport but all the guys we picked are big time motor guys. If Mo Kamara turns out like I think he can, we could be running some 2011 Giants nascar fronts on obvious passing downs plus we're so much deeper at edge. I see the draft as a huge win and was happy with everything except passing on Boyd to take McMorris. I was shocked and confused especially since we had Boyd on a visit. Maybe it didn't go well 🤷‍♂️

Cam Wake would be amazing. I like the Danielle Hunter comp I keep seeing. Athletic af but not a lot of "production" in college. I put production in quotes bc sacks don't always tell the story. His pressure rate was rated really high by pff. Chubb and JP also have high pressure rates so somebody will benefit from that. To your second point, I couldn't agree more. I'm not a fan of high ceiling guys that don't seem like they love the sport but all the guys we picked are big time motor guys. If Mo Kamara turns out like I think he can, we could be running some 2011 Giants nascar fronts on obvious passing downs plus we're so much deeper at edge. I see the draft as a huge win and was happy with everything except passing on Boyd to take McMorris. I was shocked and confused especially since we had Boyd on a visit. Maybe it didn't go well 🤷‍♂️
Right, and fans seem to get stuck on sacks. Pressures cause the quarterback to get rid of the ball early etc. A lot of big defensive plays come off pressures.

Josh Allen, in particular, will take chances with pressure in his face.

Can't win big in this league without a pass rush and that's one area where Miami got some depth and possibly better. I do think the Dolphins will miss the inside pressure Wilkins provided.

I liked our draft overall. I certainly don't think a draft is a failure just 'cuz they didn't take my choices at the time. But to answer the OP - just before the Dolphins picked I wanted: 1. BTJr., 2. Amegadjie or Sumataia, 4. Didn't expect a trade up-liked Wright there. 5. Hunter Nourzad, 6. Liked Washington there. 7. Wanted either of the Murphy twins. We got one as UDFA.

Paul was really close to my choice. Didn't know much about Kamara, but now like the pick.

21. DE Chop Robinson - Even though he wasnt the BPA he fills a huge need and I think he will be good.

55. This is where I would have traded down. Cooper Beebe was selected at 73, Christian Hayes at 81 and Zak Zinter at 85. I am sure we could have gotten at least one of them and still picked up a 4th round pick so we could have kept our 3rd round pick next year in the Jaylen Wright trade. Beebe and Zinter were both first team All American OG's in 2023.

120. RB Jaylen Wight - I am fine with this pick even though it wasnt a need.

158. DE Mohamed Kamara - I like that we doubled up on the position and he was a steal this late in the draft.

184. WR Malik Washington - I love this pick.

198. C Beaux Limmer - I have my doubts about Brewer. Limmer has good size and performed well at the combine and had the most bench press reps of all O-linemen.

241. S Beau Brade - He went undrafted but was considered to be a 4th round prospect.

Interesting point.

There were a couple of guys on the board that I really liked for a possible X receiver when we took Washington.
I didn't and don't hate Washington... I liked others better.

No, I was not a fan of Achane leading up to the draft. For several reasons... 1) The fans here were talking him up as a first or second round pick and that was a horrible value play. Taking him in the third made more sense.
2) I thought then, and I continue to think now that he's a RB2. A guy who is only fit for 10-12 carries per game and is a fairly major injury risk-- which is what happened.

Indeed, we've already gone back to the well by drafting Wright, who I believe is a MUCH better prospect, and we got him in the middle of the 4th round.

Achane is a fun player, and yes, we have the perfect system for him to succeed... on early downs and as part of a committee. I think we over drafted him by a round or two.

Not horrible considering how much fun that he was... but that brings me back to Malik. At least he was a 6th round pick, that is value-- even if I would have taken a different reciever.
What X type receiver would you have taken?

I agree with you Fever. I thought overall the draft was a success, but would have preferred a taller WR. Especially given the few picks we had. We addressed long term needs (Paul) and some short term/long term needs (Chop, Mo) . We were strategic.

That definitely would have solved Miami's biggest issue, which I agree is the offensive line (specifically guard play). Not sure if Barton can transition to LT, but wouldn't bet against him being at least ok there if that was the plan. He was one of my favorites in the draft.

Also, really liked Frazier who ended up in Pittsburgh. The Steelers essentially did what I would have done in the draft, by stocking up on offensive linemen.

But, I will say Grier was looking toward the future.
I loved both guys that Pittsburgh took. I think Troy F would have been our pick at 21 had the Steelers not stole him. He would have been a fabulous player for us to get. Our oline is suddenly much better with him but the Steelers screwed us. Maybe we would have drafed Chop anyway, just don't know.

He also brought in guys that really wanted to play for the Dolphins.

What X type receiver would you have taken?

I agree with you Fever. I thought overall the draft was a success, but would have preferred a taller WR. Especially given the few picks we had. We addressed long term needs (Paul) and some short term/long term needs (Chop, Mo) . We were strategic.
I would have taken Miller even though he's an odd evaluation and fit.
I liked Rice as well...

The team has better information though and there's a reason that Rice fell... I just dont know what it was...

Maybe there were just too many WRs... no clue.

I never get mad about these things tho. I'm just a fan, I dont have their resources or their information.

Cedric Wilson is n
if i

Seems a little over dramatic reason to really dislike or hate a 6th round pick on a WR.

If I recall I remember you were not a fan of the Achane pick as well. We have the big guys already in EZ E, Jonnu, cracraft, Cedrick Wilson, it's clear McDaniel has a preference for his offense. And we tried with claypool.

And using a 6th round pick on someone doesn't mean they will ignore the idea of trying to bring someone else in. Generally 6th round picks aren't expected to play much so that doesnt mean they address the 3rd WR for the foreseeable future.
o longer on the team.

if i

Seems a little over dramatic reason to really dislike or hate a 6th round pick on a WR.

If I recall I remember you were not a fan of the Achane pick as well. We have the big guys already in EZ E, Jonnu, cracraft, Cedrick Wilson, it's clear McDaniel has a preference for his offense. And we tried with claypool.

And using a 6th round pick on someone doesn't mean they will ignore the idea of trying to bring someone else in. Generally 6th round picks aren't expected to play much so that doesnt mean they address the 3rd WR for the foreseeable future.
Cedric Wilson is not on the team any longer. He signed somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom