Thoughts on the Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the Draft

The FO does seem to know what they are doing. - LOL
I think so... we've been low on picks for a few years, but we added three pro bowl level players because of that... so more than worth it.

Then you add in the two picks we lost because of ownership and the front office looks even better.

I loved this year's draft... they drafted very well. Was it perfect? No, but it was a LOT better than it had a right to be.

Oh I understand the pick...Its just that year after year we fail to win big games and always in January. Speed is important but in January its not that much of a factor...especially on the road up north. It always comes down to the trenches...

Depth across the board is the only meaningful insurance to cover injuries!

So cheap that quality does not matter apparently.
You can get an average Guard for a few million per year. THAT's the market.

So... given that market, if you draft an interior lineman in the first, he'd BETTER be a pro bowl player... and more or less immediately.

Barton is a good prospect at a cheap position...

Then you add in that he's been playing Tackle for the last three years and you have to at least consider... that he too is a project.

He is changing position on day one.

You can get an average Guard for a few million per year. THAT's the market.

So... given that market, if you draft an interior lineman in the first, he'd BETTER be a pro bowl player... and more or less immediately.

Barton is a good prospect at a cheap position...

Then you add in that he's been playing Tackle for the last three years and you have to at least consider... that he too is a project.

He is changing position on day one.
Just the opposite...The fact that the NFL says he a guard/center and Duke thought he was so good that he could play tackle means he is more than likely a plug and play starting guard for the Bucs...watch and see.

Just the opposite...The fact that the NFL says he a guard/center and Duke thought he was so good that he could play tackle means he is more than likely a plug and play starting guard for the Bucs...watch and see.
A lot of guys go from being really good college Tackles to being moved to Guard when they hit the NFL.
Not many of them are good right away.

I'm not saying Barton won't, but he is more of a projection than you are willing to admit.

There are reasons that he slid farther in the draft than some believed...

A lot of guys go from being really good college Tackles to being moved to Guard when they hit the NFL.
Not many of them are good right away.

I'm not saying Barton won't, but he is more of a projection than you are willing to admit.

There are reasons that he slid farther in the draft than some believed...
We'll see how having 5 edge rushers and 3 crap interior lineman with even more crap for depth at OL effects this team come January.

We'll see how having 5 edge rushers and 3 crap interior lineman with even more crap for depth at OL effects this team come January.
I really think what it comes down to these days in the NFL is positional value. What is more important? Is it a high-potential edge rusher in a passing league where pressure on the QB is absolutely vital? Or is it the guard position? I know the answer you’d receive on this one 10 times out of 10.

Then apply the same to the Dolphins. They finished last season as the #2 offense in the NFL with a lineup of relative trash at the G position once Wynn and Hunt were injured. In addition, their pass rush died a quick death once Phillips, Chubb, and Van Ginkel were lost. There were no JAGs who could step in and keep the pass rush relevant.

So which position was more important to the Dolphins? And I say this as someone who would have loved a trade-up to get Fautanu. But that is because he could have played G in 2024 and moved to LT in 2025.

I thought the draft went alright. Didn't blow me away, but didn't disappoint me either. In all honesty, I really didn't care about this year's draft because we have finally been able to string together multiple winning seasons in a row. The draft used to be the only thing to look forward to as a Dolphins fan, but thats not the case anymore. I'm happy with our picks and can't complain.

There were no marquee draft picks but there was obviously a plan going into it. The team has handled free agency and the draft well. Personally, I am looking forward to some reports out of OTA's next month. I think that the veterans in the building will be (for the most part) good mentors for the new guys and help get them on the same page. Hopefully the absence of Hard Knocks this season will help the team focus and improve.

I really think what it comes down to these days in the NFL is positional value. What is more important? Is it a high-potential edge rusher in a passing league where pressure on the QB is absolutely vital? Or is it the guard position? I know the answer you’d receive on this one 10 times out of 10.

Then apply the same to the Dolphins. They finished last season as the #2 offense in the NFL with a lineup of relative trash at the G position once Wynn and Hunt were injured. In addition, their pass rush died a quick death once Phillips, Chubb, and Van Ginkel were lost. There were no JAGs who could step in and keep the pass rush relevant.

So which position was more important to the Dolphins? And I say this as someone who would have loved a trade-up to get Fautanu. But that is because he could have played G in 2024 and moved to LT in 2025.
You are misunderstanding me completely. I totally understand the Chop pick. In fact, my frustration with Grier goes back since he's been the GM. He simply does not value the trenches. Our OL is crap...let's just face it. In McDaniel's 2nd year they figured out how to get Tua to get the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds which was great...UNTIL the injuries hit and the NFL defensive minds figured out how to slow Miami down. Then comes December; we are up by 3 games with 5 games left and can't beat anybody except Dallas (who fumbled at our 1-yard line) to close the deal. Now we go on the road in January where gimmicks, trick plays, and speed and minimized and execution, brawn and trench play is key. One word for the Dolphins after that...TOAST. 2024 comes and they still have not learned their lesson.

Last edited:
Simply put, Guard is not as highy valued position, and the best tackles were gone when we picked. There are some here that will bitch about any of Griers picks they don't like but if he picks a guard too early they go nuts.

Back
Top Bottom