Thoughts on the Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the Draft

You are misunderstanding me completely. I totally understand the Chop pick. In fact, my frustration with Grier goes back since he's been the GM. He simply does not value the trenches. Our OL is crap...let's just face it. In McDaniel's 2nd year they figured out how to get Tua to get the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds which was great...UNTIL the injuries hit and the NFL defensive minds figured out how to slow Miami down. Then comes December; we are up by 3 games with 5 games left and can't beat anybody except Dallas (who fumbled at our 1-yard line) to close the deal. Now we go on the road in January where gimmicks, trick plays, and speed and minimized and execution, brawn and trench play is key. One word for the Dolphins after that...TOAST. 2024 comes and they still have not learned their lesson.
I don't think that is accurate at all. He/we have invested several early rd draft picks in the Oline, as well as brought in several FAs.

It may not have all worked out optimally, but that is a different discussion.

Simply put, Guard is not as highy valued position, and the best tackles were gone when we picked. There are some here that will bitch about any of Griers picks they don't like but if he picks a guard too early they go nuts.
I think we'll select a Guard next year when we have more ammunition (10 picks).

My VERY preliminary needs list for next year:

WR (Hill's last year, may lose Waddle)
G (unless Driscoll or Eichenberg steps up)
S (all three vets are FAs)
CB (aging starters)
QB2
LB

You are misunderstanding me completely. I totally understand the Chop pick. In fact, my frustration with Grier goes back since he's been the GM. He simply does not value the trenches. Our OL is crap...let's just face it. In McDaniel's 2nd year they figured out how to get Tua to get the ball out in 2-2.5 seconds which was great...UNTIL the injuries hit and the NFL defensive minds figured out how to slow Miami down. Then comes December; we are up by 3 games with 5 games left and can't beat anybody except Dallas (who fumbled at our 1-yard line) to close the deal. Now we go on the road in January where gimmicks, trick plays, and speed and minimized and execution, brawn and trench play is key. One word for the Dolphins after that...TOAST. 2024 comes and they still have not learned their lesson.
The assumption you’re making is that having what, a Pro Bowl guard, would have changed these results? We had basically lost a top C, top RG, respectable LG, and top LT for much of the season. So what team seamlessly overcomes that?

The interesting thing is that we did mostly overcome those losses. I’d argue that the insurmountable losses were missing Chubb and Phillips against the Bills in Miami. Win that game with a healthy defense and the playoff seeding changes pretty dramatically.

One of the reasons I loved this draft.

One site (can't remember which one) listed the top 30 WR's in the 2024 draft class...
  • Malik Washington was #18
  • Tahj Washington was #30
Outside of the top 30, they listed guys like Vele (6'4 203 Utah), De'Corian Clark, Dee Wiggins, etc….

…so for us to grab 2 of the top 30 in a draft where our picks were limited seems excellent.

Also of note, I saw that Ra'Mel Keyton, WR, Tennessee came in for a 30 visit, but I don't think he got picked up….we did get the TN running back though, who IMO is a beast.

The assumption you’re making is that having what, a Pro Bowl guard, would have changed these results? We had basically lost a top C, top RG, respectable LG, and top LT for much of the season. So what team seamlessly overcomes that?

The interesting thing is that we did mostly overcome those losses. I’d argue that the insurmountable losses were missing Chubb and Phillips against the Bills in Miami. Win that game with a healthy defense and the playoff seeding changes pretty dramatically.
No the assumption is that if Grier had the philosophy of investing in the OL through the draft for quality starters and depth our chances would have been much better. Again...it's his year-in-and year-out philosophy.

2...of all the years he has been the GM he drafted 2 starting OL: Hunt, and Jackson
Lol, he drafted others and signed decent to good FAs. You are moving the goalposts to now include your subjective opinion on the relative success of his moves.

Your original statement was that he doesn't care, and has ignored the position. That is the narrow premise of what I was addressing.

They are two separate things. If you can't understand the difference and want to just conflate them, no rational discourse can be accomplished.

Have a great day.

Not fins related but now KC seems smart in taking worthy. This a-hole is not long for the League

In year three for McDaniel, it's definitely crystal clear that it's about speed and collecting athletes on both sides of the ball.

I was initially a little disappointed with the Chop Robinson pick with Mitchell, Thomas and Barton on the board. But I went back and looked at Robinson more closely.

I believe he could be a Dwight Freeney/ Cam Wake type disruptor. If he's close to that , it doesn't matter if he develops much in run defense.

Successfully rushing the passer is critical to any success in a quarterback driven AFC. It could make a huge difference against Mahomes, Burrow, Stroud, Allen etc.

Paul gets a great opportunity to iron out his game under Armstead. I think that will turn out to be a solid pick. Put it this way, for a guy who needs technique help, Paul put up great pass protection numbers.

The final selections were mostly terrific with Wright and doubling up on the Washington's. I think all three will contribute.

Passing on offensive guards was puzzling, but maybe Grier knows more than me?

Grier had arguably one of the best interior lineman in Graham Barton sitting in his lap but chose to take a project edge rusher instead. What makes this worse is that he took 2 more pass rushers after the Chop pick.
Two more pass rushers after Chop? I thought Kamara was the only other pass rusher we selected in this draft.

I like the Chop pick although I was hoping Verse would fall to us. That was a position that had to be addressed since Phillips and Chubb will miss a significant portion of the season and we dont know how much of a recovery they will make.

I dont like the Paul pick as I dont believe he will help us this year and I am not convinced he will be a good starting LT. I would have traded down from 55 and taken one of the top OG's like Beebe or Haynes.

I wasnt crazy about our last 2 picks either. I would have prefferred C Beaux Limmer and S Beau Brade over S Patrick McMorris and WR Tajh Washington.

Two more pass rushers after Chop? I thought Kamara was the only other pass rusher we selected in this draft.

I like the Chop pick although I was hoping Verse would fall to us. That was a position that had to be addressed since Phillips and Chubb will miss a significant portion of the season and we dont know how much of a recovery they will make.

I dont like the Paul pick as I dont believe he will help us this year and I am not convinced he will be a good starting LT. I would have traded down from 55 and taken one of the top OG's like Beebe or Haynes.

I wasnt crazy about our last 2 picks either. I would have prefferred C Beaux Limmer and S Beau Brade over S Patrick McMorris and WR Tajh Washington.
I'm thinking FinFan is including Grayson Murphy the UFDA who is surely pencilled in for the PS, so that he "could" become EDGE5 assuming Barrett leaves next year.

Yeah, I wanted Verse as well. Definitely needed to add a pass rusher. Hopefully, Robinson turns out to be great.

I like your late thoughts as well.

Imagine going into the 2024 season with Shaquille Barrett and Cam Goode as our outside rushers. Cause at the start of the season, thats who would have been the starters without the addition of Kamara/Robinson as both Phillips and Chubb are highly unlikely to start the season.

Back
Top Bottom