Thoughts on the OL after the draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thoughts on the OL after the draft

It's a shame Williams got injured as it looked like Fins had finally solidified the Center position. I think it's the last we have seen of Williams in Miami as they just gave Brewer $21 mill. Why, I don't know, but they did.
Because Aaron Brewer is a very good center, especially for the wide zone. You'll learn soon enough. In the meantime, continue your foolish criticism of Brewer while everyone else laughs at you.

Because Aaron Brewer is a very good center, especially for the wide zone. You'll learn soon enough. In the meantime, continue your foolish criticism of Brewer while everyone else laughs at you.
Are you doing something with Brewer you care to tell us about? šŸ¤£

I am. I'm defending a very fine center against unsubstantiated, unwarranted attacks on his ability.

That's just the "Lemming" gnawing to help wear down their teeth so that they don't grow thru their brain cavity.

That would be awful because then there would be something inside that empty cavity. - LOL

Lol, thats classic...but it seems to be something more than that.
I figure you must have been bullied by a boy named Aaron when you were a kid. Maybe he gave you wedgies, stole your lunch money, duct taped you to the monkey bars, or stuffed you in a locker where you weren't found till the next day. Something. Your unwarranted attacks on Aaron Brewer don't make sense otherwise.

I figure you must have been bullied by a boy named Aaron when you were a kid. Maybe he gave you wedgies, stole your lunch money, duct taped you to the monkey bars, or stuffed you in a locker where you weren't found till the next day. Something. Your unwarranted attacks on Aaron Brewer don't make sense otherwise.
Well at least your posts are getting more ridiculous, which I didnt think possible. So I'll give you that. Brewer has not been a good Center to this point. Period.

I am really hopeful for the guy but Iā€™d say 30-40% of people who have a strong opinion on the guy did not like the pick up. Everything Iā€™ve read (only here) is that most people expect him to be a notable step down in pass protection but should be excellent in the run game.

I think you took zulloā€™s off the cuff comment a little too harshly.

PFF graded him only 11th best out of 36 last season. Terrible. LMAO!!
So PFF is what you are clinging to? Cmon now. Listen, I'll be rooting for Brewer when he suits up for the Fins like everyone else here. If he continues to suck the Fins will suck. So I do hope he can turn it around. But you will never change the fact that till this point in time he has not been good.

So PFF is what you are clinging to? Cmon now. Listen, I'll be rooting for Brewer when he suits up for the Fins like everyone else here. If he continues to suck the Fins will suck. So I do hope he can turn it around. But you will never change the fact that till this point in time he has not been good.
PFF only confirms what my eyes saw. I do not need to change any facts even if I were able to. And this phantom fact you cling to, that he has not been good, just is not supported by any in-depth objective analysis of the player.

I am really hopeful for the guy but Iā€™d say 30-40% of people who have a strong opinion on the guy did not like the pick up. Everything Iā€™ve read (only here) is that most people expect him to be a notable step down in pass protection but should be excellent in the run game.

I think you took zulloā€™s off the cuff comment a little too harshly.
"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." ~ Bertrand Russell

PFF only confirms what my eyes saw. I do not need to change any facts even if I were able to. And this phantom fact you cling to, that he has not been good, just is not supported by any in-depth objective analysis of the player.
I dont have the stats in front of me, but if you check your beloved PFF his rating was like 52 in pass protection and rated as one of the worst Centers in terms of sacks and pressures. The knock is that he gets over powered and cant handle stunts. His forte is run blocking but sucks in pass blocking. If you really believe that is good, we obviously assess players much differently.

"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible." ~ Bertrand Russell
Relax dude Iā€™m just posting that in response to you chastising that guy as if he was the only person not high on the brewer pick up.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who sees that the majority of the o-linemen they're counting on were drafted by other teams. Other teams can build a decent o-line through the draft, but Grier has to pay FAs because he mostly sucks at drafting linemen. And, the duo of Grier and McDaniel are so concerned with acquiring speedy offensive weapons that the o-line is basically nothing more than an afterthought each year.
No, you aren't the only one who sees this. I have been against drafting OL, especially in rounds 1 and 2, until recently. I thought about this problem and changed my mind. Drafting OL every year is a good strategy, it doesn't have to be in rounds 1 or 2, but you can't just draft offensive linemen without a plan and that's what we've been doing for way too long

And to clarify, I was against drafting OL because I felt the same way as you, we had no idea how to do it and therefore wasted so many picks and resources on them it was getting ridiculous.

Drafting OL is only one part of the process. It has to be a collaborative process that starts with the HC or OL coaching telling the GM what he needs in a T or IOL and then figuring out who the right prospects are. Evaluating and developing them are the keys and imo in years past we didn't come close to doing that. We'd draft a guy like Dieter or Billy Turner because we needed an IOL and then not have a plan. We'd throw a guy like Jamil Douglas into the fire and then act shocked when he failed. Or move AJ from LT to LG to RT and then declare him a bust when he couldn't hold down his position successfully.

I'm encouraged by AJ but still feel like we wasted 1-2 years figuring out where he fit best. That's on Flores and his parade of OC's and OL coaches. Too say Flores was allergic to learning anything about OLs and offense is being kind. I'm not very encouraged by Liam Eichenberg who doesn't have the athletic gifts or strength that AJ and Robert Hunt do. He's also been passed around like a party favor but I feel like the biggest problem is that the FO knew they needed another tackle, saw he was one of the best T's left and then overdrafted him out of a sense of desperation. I don't see a guy who is going to grow into a solid starter in Eichenberg and it's a shame we wasted so much time and draft picks on him. Maybe he sticks as a backup but this roster and O are better if we upgrade from him this year.

I think McD and Butch Barry know what they want in an OL and hopefully this signals a change in how we do business in contracting our O-line.

Back
Top Bottom