Tua Contract Negotiations Start | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Contract Negotiations Start

I already said time to tank for the next guy. Whether Grier and especially Ross has the stones to do that again is another story
So you're an I need change for the sake of change because the next guy is always better guy. Got it. You do know how many QBs we had between Marino and Tua, right? Also that Tua led the league in multiple QB stats last year and has exponentially improved each year?

So you're an I need change for the sake of change because the next guy is always better guy. Got it. You do know how many QBs we had between Marino and Tua, right? Also that Tua led the league in multiple QB stats last year and has exponentially improved each year?

23. 23 ****ing QBs since 2000

23. 23 ****ing QBs since 2000
Right. So, the tua haters want us to dump him because reasons while he leads the league in yards, completion percentage, release time, and more. Gotta burn it all for their sensitivities. How utterly idiotic.

i dont understand the notion of using bad deals to justify what tua should get paid. could also easily reply to that point and say "what a huge mistake that turned out to be for the giants." i think there are certain good arguments for giving tua the bag, but this aint one of em. my 2 cents
It shows what teams are willing to pay for good QBs. Whether they were correct in their assessment is a different question. What teams are willing to pay is what sets the market.

• Rank PlayerTeamCompensation
    1Joe BurrowCincinnati Bengals$55 million
    2Justin Herbert Los Angeles Chargers$52.5 million
    3Lamar Jackson Baltimore Ravens$52 million
    4Jalen HurtsPhiladelphia Eagles$51 million
    5Russell WilsonPittsburgh Steelers$48.5 million
    6Kyler MurrayArizona Cardinals$46.1 million
    7Deshaun WatsonCleveland Browns$46 million
    T-8Patrick Mahomes Kansas City Chiefs$45 million
    T-8Kirk CousinsAtlanta Falcons$45 million
    10Josh AllenBuffalo Bills$43 million

• Also:

• 10. Rams QB Matthew Stafford: $40 million
  • 10. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $40 million
  • 10. Giants QB Daniel Jones: $40 million
I don't think Herbert, Jackson, Hurts, Wilson, Murray, Watson, Prescott, or Jones are worth what they are getting paid. Based on results, Mahomes is under paid. But that has no impact on what the current market price is.

It shows what teams are willing to pay for good QBs. Whether they were correct in their assessment is a different question. What teams are willing to pay is what sets the market.

• Rank PlayerTeamCompensation
    1Joe BurrowCincinnati Bengals$55 million
    2Justin Herbert Los Angeles Chargers$52.5 million
    3Lamar JacksonBaltimore Ravens$52 million
    4Jalen HurtsPhiladelphia Eagles$51 million
    5Russell WilsonPittsburgh Steelers$48.5 million
    6Kyler MurrayArizona Cardinals$46.1 million
    7Deshaun WatsonCleveland Browns$46 million
    T-8Patrick MahomesKansas City Chiefs$45 million
    T-8Kirk CousinsAtlanta Falcons$45 million
    10Josh AllenBuffalo Bills$43 million

• Also:

• 10. Rams QB Matthew Stafford: $40 million
  • 10. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $40 million
  • 10. Giants QB Daniel Jones: $40 million
I don't think Herbert, Jackson, Hurts, Wilson, Murray, Watson, Prescott, or Jones are worth what they are getting paid. Based on results, Mahomes is under paid. But that has no impact on what the current market price is.
That's what some people don't understand. It's not about teams "learning a lesson" from deals other teams make that don't necessarily pan out. It's about setting the market for current and future deals. A doubter might say look at the deal that Kylar Murray got, wow is he overpaid, while Tua is saying, if Kyler Murray got $46 million, I'm worth more than that based on our performances.

Also, Tua is not only negotiating for himself, he's setting a bar for upcoming contracts for Love, Purdy, T-Law, etc.

It's compelling to wonder about a world where QB prices get so high teams start letting franchise QBs walk but we're not there yet and at this point keeping your organizational structure continuous is more important than a few million in salary for the QB.

Almost everyone at QB seems overpaid relative to their contribution these days. We can cheat the system for a couple years before Tua's deal looks bad just like so many teams have done before. We'll be happy for a couple years and then suffer a bit of the consequences when the big money comes due. Even if just symbolic, the idea of him taking 20% of the salary cap is disgusting to all fans, but what are you going to do? You're going to use the 21st overall pick to start over?

I get the idea that it would be utopia if Miami somehow had a CJ Stroud or something to build around for the next 4 years but we don't and the punishment for hitting on a QB is you don't have a top pick to use on a replacement. Even though QB salaries are ridiculous, teams still believe they're ultimately better off paying those prices even when the team isn't where it wants to be: Herbert, Murray, etc. They pay it even when they haven't secured a title: Burrow, Allen, Hurts, etc.

The value of a franchise QB is that they give you a 15-year window. Hopefully that's enough.

I’ve been a Tua fan and believe he will sign a $50M / yr extension.

Grier appears to have a walk away price for positions. He gave Wilkins his best offer last offseason. Once he played on the 5th year option, the question this offseason was whether to franchise Wilkins or let him hit FA.

What is your QB “walk away” price for Tua, and deal with a franchise tag next offseason?

QB salaries in 2024
1. Burrow $55M
2. Herbert $52.5M
3. Lamar $52M
4. Hurts $51M
5. Russell Wilson $48.5M
I see tua as on par with 2-4,he will get 50+mil per yr if he wants it, though I wish he'd take less, isn't 45mil per yr enough? Really crazy what QBs are making these days, the market has to correct at some point no?

I see tua as on par with 2-4,he will get 50+mil per yr if he wants it, though I wish he'd take less, isn't 45mil per yr enough? Really crazy what QBs are making these days, the market has to correct at some point no?
Those numbers are gone, new year, new salary cap. Tua will set the market for 24 not 22/23

As I've pointed out before, I think you and others are not considering the context of salaries overall.

For example, this year's cap was @30m increase. Next year's cap is projected at roughly the same.

That's one hell of an increase year over year.

The "pie" is rapidly growing, and a finite number of players (51 highest salaries) are splitting it.

Salaries MUST, by rule, keep approximate pace with the cap increases. Since QB is the highest paid and valued position, it only makes sense that they will see the most increase.

In light of the realities of the collective bargaining agreement, not sure "market correction" is applicable here.

Last edited:
As I've pointed out before, I think you and others are not considering the context of salaries overall.

For example, this year's cap was @30% increase. Next year's cap is projected at roughly the same.

The "pie" is rapidly growing, and a finite number of players (51 highest salaries) are splitting it.

Salaries MUST, by rule, keep approximate pace with the cap increases. Since QB is the highest paid and valued position, it only makes sense that they will see the most increase.

In light of the realities of the collective bargaining agreement, not sure "market correction" is applicable here.
Nitpicking but it was $30 million, not 30%. That's m ore like 13% but still, nice jump

For example, this year's cap was @30% increase. Next year's cap is projected at roughly the same.

That's fair, are there numbers out there for something like the percentage of their team's total cap the top 10 QBs are accounting for the past 10-20yrs? Would you guess it to be relatively static over that time? Cause when you put it in that perspective, it doesn't seem the financial commitment to top QBs is that much of a hardship most make it out to be.

Exactly. By next year, already, Tua's new contract will be less restrictive.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tua sign a team friendly deal compared to what he could get on the market. In my opinion, a team friendly deal would be around $45M or less per year because his agent could easily put together an argument that he deserves 50M+ per year based on the other QB signings.

I think Tua loves it here and absolutely loves playing for McDaniel. I think his years under Flores will actually benefit us because he went from probably the unhappiest days of his life to quite possibly the happiest days of his life with McDaniel. I'm sure some people will be pissed if he signs for $45M/year but if he does that will give us an extra $10M+ per year to play with as compared to some of these other young QBs who recently signed or will sign in the next few years.

That's a big advantage to have and it's what Brady did for years playing for NE. I won't be mad if Tua doesn't follow the same blueprint because he deserves the bag but I won't be shocked at all if he does.

The positive thing about these ridiculous contracts is that its almost getting to a point where the money doesn't matter. We're no longer talking about setting up your family....he took care of that with his rookie deal.

I get the feeling we're going to start seeing more Ohtani or Messi like deals where they find creative ways to defer money or find other means of compensating. Tua isn't quite in that transcendent realm but you never know.

Back
Top Bottom