Who Do You Toss the Table for? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Do You Toss the Table for?

Super Duper Clayton

Active Roster
Reaction score
Let’s be honest, we are going to talk ourselves into whoever the Fins pick.

But, just for fun, this thread is for those players that are being talked about for the Fins at 21 but would kind of be a bummer to you if they were the pick.

I’ll start with 3:

JPJ - positional value and injury read flags aside, dude just isn’t my cup of tea; feels like a major reach

Laiatu Latu - injury history, lack of production against the PAC12 big boys, middling traits; would rather take Chop; give me the dudes that just need to be coached up; feels like Latu is at his ceiling

Mims - I concede I could be extremely wrong on this guy, but I would rather let some other team find out; there’s just something about his demeanor…not sure he loves football; that first round contract is a lot of money, and I’m just very worried he won’t work to fulfill his enormous potential

JPJ- A C/G with suspect lateral agility sounds like a 3rd round pick's description to me.

Cooper DeJean- A guy who projects as a nickel corner or Safety? In the first round??? Have you lost your ever-loving minds???

Ladd McConkey/Xavier Worthy- Another slot/Z reciever? Sigh...

Given our reduced cap flexibility over the next couple of seasons (at least), the FO should be taking advantage of the 5th-year of controlled cost that comes with 1st-round picks. Maximizing the financial gain would mean drafting one of the positions that get higher-dollar second contracts: QB, WR, Edge, and LT.

We're not going QB. We'd want the LT to play right away, and it's likely our starting tackle spots are both filled. I can see drafting a long-term replacement for Armstead, but that's a project and might not be the best value for pick 21 unless that player is also a dominant guard. That leaves WR and Edge.

If someone like Verse is available, and we pass, it better be for someone truly special.

Too many to name really. I am looking at that nflmockdraftdatabase consensus big board and there are very few players I can approve at 21 who are ranked there and a little later.
I am really hoping for a good trade down opportunity.

I would go with Mims or Barton at #21 but I am not confident either will be there.

I am very afraid of Latu as his production has come against very poor competition and the few times he has faced solid OT play he has been stopped.And that does not even take into consideration his neck injury.

I could live with Verse or Newton but I would not be thrilled, Latu would disappoint me.

And I am not even going to entertain Chop Robinson but at least he would be a big swing based on his athletic upside.

I got 5 guys I would satay at 21 to draft. Unless by some miracle somebody unexpectedly drops.
JC Latham
Brian Thomas JR.
Troy Fautanu
Jared Verse
Lariatu Lautu
If none of those guys are there I’m trading down. Guys like graham barton Morgan guyton are on the same level.

I think any offensive lineman who can’t play left tackle would disappoint me.

I’m not in a gambling mood so Latu probably won’t sit well with me.

Other than that I’m pretty open minded.

JPJ- A C/G with suspect lateral agility sounds like a 3rd round pick's description to me.

Cooper DeJean- A guy who projects as a nickel corner or Safety? In the first round??? Have you lost your ever-loving minds???

Ladd McConkey/Xavier Worthy- Another slot/Z reciever? Sigh...
Very versatile, some are saying he can play any position in the secondary including nickle. But possibly the deciding factor is he slated to go in NFL as a safety. Not advocating it, but I don't think I would be upset like everyone else was last year when we went with Cam in the second round. Nailing down three different positions and possibly five might be worth it.

I got 5 guys I would satay at 21 to draft. Unless by some miracle somebody unexpectedly drops.
JC Latham
Brian Thomas JR.
Troy Fautanu
Jared Verse
Lariatu Lautu
If none of those guys are there I’m trading down. Guys like graham barton Morgan guyton are on the same level.
It's not always that easy, you need a compatible partner. Out of your list the only one that would disappoint me is Brian Thomas, just because I heard he's a head case and lacks top-end speed, I would rather see Buffalo take a chance with him, that us. I think you can get an effective receiver that would help us in any round this year.

Very versatile, some are saying he can play any position in the secondary including nickle. But possibly the deciding factor is he slated to go in NFL as a safety. Not advocating it, but I don't think I would be upset like everyone else was last year when we went with Cam in the second round. Nailing down three different positions and possibly five might be worth it.
I am a long, long term skeptic when it comes to drafting Safeties in the first round. I genuinely just do not believe in the economic idea of spending money on them or in the on field value of a safety in general unless you have an all-world player who supplies both turnovers and massive hits.

Now... if a guy is a lock down boundary corner, I'm listening.

I would hate... HATE the idea of drafting a guy who MIGHT be a corner... early. It's just bad asset management in my mind.

Very few selections would actively piss me off... but a maybe corner when we already have a couple of young corners in the system??? Arrrrgh!

I am really hoping for a good trade down opportunity.

I would go with Mims or Barton at #21 but I am not confident either will be there.

I am very afraid of Latu as his production has come against very poor competition and the few times he has faced solid OT play he has been stopped. And that does not even take into consideration his neck injury.

I could live with Verse or Newton but I would not be thrilled, Latu would disappoint me.

And I am not even going to entertain Chop Robinson but at least he would be a big swing based on his athletic upside.

I have all those guys as draftable starters except Newton, they are excellent players. For me it really depends on totality of the draft, but it will be hard to wow me with that 21 pick.

I have all those guys as draftable starters except Newton, they are excellent players. For me it really depends on totality of the draft, but it will be hard to wow me with that 21 pick.
To be fair how many drafts are going to wow you at #21?

The Fins need to hit on a solid future(or immediate)long term starter.

They don't have to find a Pro Bowler or future star but a legit starter, preferably on the LOS.

The only exciting, sexy pick that is in any way realistic would be Brian Thomas Jr and that is not very likely.

Back
Top Bottom