3 year 75 million extension for Devonte Smith w/ Eagles | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 year 75 million extension for Devonte Smith w/ Eagles

Agreed, if we sign a Safety with two bad knees to money that dictates the course of the franchise that just feels stupid. Sign him at a team-friendly rate or replace him. He's a safety for God's sake.

We have to manage the impact of (1) Tyreek at WR and (2) Chubb at Edge over the next couple of years along with the new contracts to our mid-level players (Jackson, Ramsey, etc.).

As soon as Tyreek is gone, Waddle (or someone else) is getting paid at WR. So we're locked in with big money at WR either way.

At Edge you'd like to re-sign Phillips for fear or creating another huge hole. It's probably easiest to just re-sign him so that's #3.

That leaves QB, CB and LT. I think we'll target one of those positions with one of our high picks this year (R1 or R2). The other will probably require money next year (or at least a R1 pick).

So by '25 you're going to be paying:

1) WR (Tyreek in his final year)
2) WR (Waddle on 5th-yr extension, franchise tag or in year-1 of a new deal)
3) Edge (Chubb with a $29 cap hit in both '25 and '26)
4) Edge (Phillips on 5th-yr extension, franchise tag or in year-1 of a new deal)
5) QB (Tua hopefully remaining "cheap" until year-3 in '26)
6) LT or CB*

It's manageable but it's sort of locked in right now. We don't have a lot of flexibility here.

Miami could fill both LT and CB with their next two R1 picks in '24 and '25 but that's an ideal scenario. It's more likely, one position is filled for good in the draft and the other needs attention in FA which could get expensive quickly once Armstead & Lamm are gone and Fuller is nearing the end. LTs and CBs are expensive as we know.
Many brothers just dont want to hear this... don't want to think about the working parts here... but what you've listed is probably damned close to what we'll do.

We can type "YOU CAN'T KEEP THEM ALL" a hundred times, and most will agree... until it comes time to let someone walk, then it's non-stop gnashing of teeth and crying that it's all Grier's fault.

Adios Waddle.

I just don't see us paying Tua, Reek, and Waddle....(but if Ross/McD want to, I am good with it.)
If I had to choose out of those three, I'd keep Waddle. Yes, Waddle does drop a few passes here and there, but Hill is going to be way too expensive (not to mention his off-field issues), and IMO with his limitations, Tua has not earned the 50 million people think he's worth. He can rack up the stats, but stats don't help you win against the good teams and in the playoffs. Plus, I'd prefer a bigger, more mobile QB who can scramble and improvise when necessary, because we all know that it's highly unlikely that Grier is going to all of a sudden build an above average, strong o-line. And, running an offense where the ball has to come out immediately in order for it to be effective (and sometimes even then it isn't) has not been working for them against the good teams.

I'm getting the feeling HOLLAND is a goner soon. He's been good but...is he worth that next contract?

I'm not sure.

Not seeing TUA, WADDLE or PHILLIPS going anywhere else. Just my guess.
if his demands are elite then not for me

How any member of our fanbase can worry about the salary cap after we just went from 50+ million over the cap; to being cap compliant, while also signing close to TWENTY FREE AGENTS is insane!
But note that a) we lost or cut several high level contributors and b) cap hits were pushed into future years. I think the team is doing great things given their situation but if the cap doesnt grow robustly we need to get used to saying farewell to solid players on a regular/annual basis. It is how the game is designed and the bottom line is we have to be very good with talent evaluation, coaching the best out of what we have and drafting effectively both early and late. But the cap can never be ignored.

Extending waddle this year would be a smart decision. He’s worth it. You let him become a free agent , he’s going to get a huge contract from another team guaranteed.
Can't keep everyone but if plan is for Hill to move on in a year (less likely) or two (highly likely) we should either attempt to resign Waddle for a touch more than Smith got or draft a WR high this year (and probably another one next year) and be prepared to trade Waddle next off-season. Letting him play out the option year is the least desirable plan.

Market is set for Waddle’s extension
As close as Waddle and Smith's stats are to this point, we should offer Waddle exactly the same contract. And he should be glad to take it. Why do the Eagles always seem ahead of the curve for extending their top draft picks, while Miami seems to drag their feet?

Speaking of this, whoever scouted Paku Nacua - did his damn job....

Paku Nacua
Born May 29, 2001 · Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.
Height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight 205 lb (93 kg)
Position Wide receiver
High school Orem · (Orem, Utah)
College Washington (2019–2020) · BYU (2021–2022)
NFL draft 2023 / Round: 5 / Pick: 177
Roster status Active

Sign Waddle, yes....but if we don't go WR early...it would be cool to find guys later in the draft (with size), that can have success.
Offer the Rams a trade of Chris Grier for Les Snead. :) The Rams seem to find 3-6th round starters by the bushel almost every year.

Back
Top Bottom