3 year 75 million extension for Devonte Smith w/ Eagles | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

3 year 75 million extension for Devonte Smith w/ Eagles

The REASON that we were able to sign a bunch of vets for very minimal salaries is because the NFL has become a place where 5-6 players on your team will account for most of your available cap, while everyone else gets something near the minimum.

So... with Waddle, the question becomes... do we want him to be one of our 5 or 6?

We declined Wilkins... declined Hunt... now Holland, Tua, Waddle, and Phillips are soon to be decided.

I suspect that keeping all 4 is unlikely. Don't you?
Since we are the Dolphins, yes. If we were a better-run organization then no.

Smith isn’t worth what he got but that’s PHI’s problem I guess.

Would happily take Smitty at that deal, especially when you factor in the entire 5 year duration/cost.

The longer we wait on a Waddle extension the more expensive it’s going to be. And he’s a keeper long term regardless.

Can’t pay everyone so there's no sure thing as to who we'll keep and who will leave via free agency

You have to pay waddle and probably a little more than Smith. Hill will not be here much longer.
Dlng ding. The same year you are paying Waddle, youre cutting Hill and designating him a june 1st OR you're trading him for best price youc an get for someone taking his full contract.
edit what the heck is going on forum lol

How any member of our fanbase can worry about the salary cap after we just went from 50+ million over the cap; to being cap compliant, while also signing close to TWENTY FREE AGENTS is insane!
Yet Grier is somehow still demonized.

Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, Jamar Chase all have new contracts coming up. We should definitely be trying to sign Waddle before those guys. The Smith contract looks like good value to me, the guy is a beast, so much fun to watch.

Justin Jefferson, Ceedee Lamb, Jamar Chase all have new contracts coming up. We should definitely be trying to sign Waddle before those guys. The Smith contract looks like good value to me, the guy is a beast, so much fun to watch.
I'm not so high on Smith as you....but agree with your premise. There will likely be a new ceiling created with Jefferson, Lamb and Chase and it would be smart to get in front of that

Smith isn’t worth what he got but that’s PHI’s problem I guess.
That's likely true as well and is why I'm not really sold on Waddle for $25M/year. I like Waddle a lot, but there's absolutely a limit to the number of big contracts you can have. I'm not convinced Waddle is that WR #1 alpha superstar in the making kind of guy. He's already a really very good star player, though. If Hill were gone tomorrow and Waddle was our #1, do we lose a lot of production??

That's likely true as well and is why I'm not really sold on Waddle for $25M/year. I like Waddle a lot, but there's absolutely a limit to the number of big contracts you can have. I'm not convinced Waddle is that WR #1 alpha superstar in the making kind of guy. He's already a really very good star player, though. If Hill were gone tomorrow and Waddle was our #1, do we lose a lot of production??
That’s why I’d wait until this year to make that decision. No hurry now…

Back
Top Bottom