Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB?

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just read this Article, link below, questioning and looking at objective and most important QB related stats to see if the numbers back up Tua being a top 5 QB or not. Personally, I don't see him as a top 5 QB but we can't argue with Tua's stats. The writer has done a great job at looking at various Stats. Based on the Stats, it would be hard to argue that he is not a top 10 QB. I know some people focus too much on the talent level, especially, the national media (Chris Simms, Colin Cowherd) and point out that, for example Justin Herbert, is a top 5 QB. This is a well-researched article accumulating the major QB Stats.

Stats are deceiving sometimes…in today’s NFL the game is geared for offensive production? I look more at a QB’s production in clutch situations? Can he impose his will in the 4th quarter and dominate? Is He a winner more often than not in those big moments? This team that was supposedly built to win championships has not won a playoff game? If they can’t achieve any success in the playoffs?…I could care less about stats?

Stats are deceiving sometimes…in today’s NFL the game is geared for offensive production? I look more at a QB’s production in clutch situations? Can he impose his will in the 4th quarter and dominate? Is He a winner more often than not in those big moments? This team that was supposedly built to win championships has not won a playoff game? If they can’t achieve any success in the playoffs?…I could care less about stats?
To the credit of the author of the article, he did mention that Tua needs to deliver in big games/post season. To be fair to Tua, it is hard to win big games at the end against Balt, Buf and KC when half your Team is out injured or playing injured. I would venture no good team had that kind of injuries throughout the year like Miami did.

Tua is good enough for me to not look for another QB for awhile and instead work to build a team that can protect and enhance his abilities.

Where he ranks, I am not sure, don't care. I do know it would be rather difficult to find better.

Natural accuracy trumps all prototypical measurables.

fuck my life fml GIF
;-)

I don't know if Tua is talented enough to ever become a true top 5 QB in this league, but that's not important.

Can he play well and win in the playoffs when we need him to? So far the answer is no, but the good news is he just turned 26 and I expect him to get better. He better get better and like right f****** now.

If he was right handed this wouldn't even be a question. The left handed looks weird and throws people off. Tua throws extremely catchable balls and does so extremely quickly. He can do what just about every other QB in the league can't. His quick decision making and accuracy is Lamar's legs, Mahomes' arm strength, and Rodgers psilocybin use.

I can answer this question without reading it.....No he is not....

In no particular order after Mahomes....

1. Mahomes

2. Josh Allen
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Joe Burrow
5. Aaron Rodgers

I dont think MOST people especially outside of Dolphins fans would say that Tua is better than any of these guys, and rightfully so. Just have to take off the homer classes.

Tua will be in the realm of Jared Goff and Kirk Cousins which isnt bad. I just dont think Tua will ever be among the "elite" which there are only like 3 that are truly "elite" QB's right now anyways.

I don't know if he is number 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. I honestly don't think it matters. This is all subjective but I would certainly put Tua in the conversation of the top 5.

I think the best part about Tua.....is he is going to continue to improve. So whether he is number 3 or number 7..........we are likely going to see that number move closer to the top. What a great position to be in.....

It's a sublective question. Depends on what the person you're asking likes from a qb. You can go to the beach and ask two different guys who are the top 5 looking girls and get two different list. Doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong.

I know I have faith in Tua, and for people who say he didn't play well against some of the top opponents in 2023... let's see what it looks like when we're not playing with a patched work oline and banged up wrs.

I can answer this question without reading it.....No he is not....

In no particular order after Mahomes....

1. Mahomes

2. Josh Allen
3. Lamar Jackson
4. Joe Burrow
5. Aaron Rodgers

I dont think MOST people especially outside of Dolphins fans would say that Tua is better than any of these guys, and rightfully so. Just have to take off the homer classes.

Tua will be in the realm of Jared Goff and Kirk Cousins which isnt bad. I just dont think Tua will ever be among the "elite" which there are only like 3 that are truly "elite" QB's right now anyways.
The only 2 on that list I might trade Tua for would be Mahomes or Burrow. But bear in mind those two QBs play in systems designed around their strengths as well. Tua pre-injury was more highly regarded than any of them, is catching up every season and may ultimately surpass them all. He has been here for 4 years but it is hard to consider his time with Flores much more than a confidence-destroying redshirt assignment in which he was still recovering from the injury. At worst I hope those two seasons allow us to extend Tua on more favorable terms.

If the OLine stays healthy--or dare I say improves--and we get another year of playcalling refinement drom McD i have little doubt we will start to win those big games with Tua slingling the ball. Then if Weaver makes better use of the talent we have on the other side than "S Florida gap year" Fangio did, watch out!

I don't know if Tua is talented enough to ever become a true top 5 QB in this league, but that's not important.

Can he play well and win in the playoffs when we need him to? So far the answer is no, but the good news is he just turned 26 and I expect him to get better. He better get better and like right f****** now.
I his defense, he has played one playoff game in minus 200 degrees. Not exactly a fair barometer. If we have a relatively healthy team and we lose again in spectacular fashion in the playoffs, then I'm on board with the naysayers. I'm still on Team Tua for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom