Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Article - Is Tua a Top 5 QB?

Interesting.

I always find the "carry teams on their back" to be an interesting topic.

For instance, between Tua/Lamar Jackson/ Josh Allen and Mahomes..
Which QB needed to score more then 30 points to win a game and was successful the last 2 seasons

The answer might surprise you.

Being clutch and putting the team on their backs are 2 diferrent things.

A defense holding the opposing teams to under 20 points and the QB leading a game winning drive is not putting team on their backs IMO

A defense giving up 30+ and not being able to stop a team, and the QB still manages to lead the team to victory? That's putting the team on their backs.

I'll give you a hint.... Tua was more successful, or had to win more games in that scenario.
Recently someone posted a list of the W-L records of the current starting QBs in career games where their team's defense produced no takeaways. Only 5 had a winning record under that scenario. Mahomes, Burrow, Tua, Jackson, and Allen. I do not recall the exact order, but Mahomes did not have the best record and Tua was higher than 5th. I recall Goff was something like 1-9 in that scenario. When the defense isn't giving the offense any extra possessions and no short fields, I'd say a QB who can win more than lose is putting the team on his back.

Well he was top 5 in... Yards, Comp%, TDs, First downs, Success rate, yards per attempt, rating... I could go on.

What are you guys rating QBs on?
Fantasy stats and/or entertainment value. Fans love the guys that can run around and buy time for people to get open. Just look at Lamar Jackson. Dude is fun to watch, but teams have exposed him as a QB every time the Ravens make the playoffs.

Well he was top 5 in... Yards, Comp%, TDs, First downs, Success rate, yards per attempt, rating... I could go on.

What are you guys rating QBs on?

The eye test when it matters. Not against crappy Bronco teams in September/October. Also let's be honest, last year was a weird year.....no aaron Rodgers, Burrow got hurt, Herbert got hurt, Watson got hurt, Cousins got hurt. if those guys stay healthy then Tua may not be top 5 in those categories. Tuas lead league passing yardage was the lowest to lead the NFL in a long time. It was a down year for QBs. It was such a down year for QBs last year that even Baker Mayfield finished top 10 and made the pro bowl. Let's see Tua do it again and win the big games late in season when its crunch time.

The eye test when it matters. Not against crappy Bronco teams in September/October. Also let's be honest, last year was a weird year.....no aaron Rodgers, Burrow got hurt, Herbert got hurt, Watson got hurt, Cousins got hurt. if those guys stay healthy then Tua may not be top 5 in those categories. Tuas lead league passing yardage was the lowest to lead the NFL in a long time. It was a down year for QBs. Let's see him do it again and win the big games late in season when its crunch time.
Unless you tell me you've watched every single snap, multiple times and took notes, from every single QB in every season you allude to in any argument, your eyeballs aren't worth ****...

Marino got the Dolphins to a Super Bowl and won playoff games with no defense or a running game. So ya he did put those teams on his back. Tua hasn't even won a playoff game yet so he is nowhere close to Marino. Plus Marino did it in an era where the NFL was much more physical and he faced a lot of dominant defenses.
The one season the Dolphins and Marino went to the Super Bowl, the defense was ranked 7th in the league. Marino and Shula together went to the playoffs in 5 of the next 11 seasons. 4 wins and 5 losses.

Recently someone posted a list of the W-L records of the current starting QBs in career games where their team's defense produced no takeaways. Only 5 had a winning record under that scenario. Mahomes, Burrow, Tua, Jackson, and Allen. I do not recall the exact order, but Mahomes did not have the best record and Tua was higher than 5th. I recall Goff was something like 1-9 in that scenario. When the defense isn't giving the offense any extra possessions and no short fields, I'd say a QB who can win more than lose is putting the team on his back.

Agreed.

And look.at that list. That's pretty much the top 5 QBS.

Listen, I am the CEO if Tuanon. But I'll admit and say he needs to improve in certain areas. He played horribly against the Titans and did not play well in the playoffs.

But the Tua haters need to realize that Tua actually is a top QB in this league.

I'm glad he's our QB.

Hopefully, with his conditioning this off season, we can see Tua start taking those easy 6-7 yard scrambles next season.

No it's not... WTF?
Just say no to smoking crack.

What year would you say was Rodgers worse year where he started every game and let's compare that to Tuas pro bowl year last season.

Honestly I don't care that Tua led the league in passing yards. Jameis winston did too a few years ago. I would be more sold on Tua if he played his best against better teams like the elite QBs do. I don't care about the stats and numbers. Especially against crap teams. I just want to see him play his best in the games against good teams. Tuas record against teams with winning records is terrible and so are his precious stats. The fact is he played his best games against bad teams and he played his worst games against good teams. Tua could have only threw for 3500-4K yards but played better against the playoff teams and win a game or two more and I would be closer to thinking that maybe he is top 5. It's not about the numbers. The numbers were inflated against the bad teams anyways.

He has to play better against the good teams otherwise he is nothing more than Kirk Cousins. Which isn't bad but just not good enough to make a team competitive year in and year out like the truly elite QBs do.

I'm not convinced that Tua is anywhere close to being a top 5 QB. And the majority of football fans would agree. Don't shelter yourself to Tua and Fins fans otherwise when you have real conversations with real football folks you just come across as ignorant or bias homer fan.

Last edited:
I would be more sold on Tua if he played his best against better teams like the elite QBs do. I don't care about the stats and numbers
So basically... Im saying the better than Tua QBs play their best against the better teams, and don't try to come at me with what really happened in real life, **** math!!

Unless you tell me you've watched every single snap, multiple times and took notes, from every single QB in every season you allude to in any argument, your eyeballs aren't worth ****...
I would say his knowledge of the sport is worth the same as his eyeballs also.

What year would you say was Rodgers worse year where he started every game and let's compare that to Tuas pro bowl year last season.

Honestly I don't care that Tua led the league in passing yards. Jameis winston did too a few years ago. I would be more sold on Tua if he played his best against better teams like the elite QBs do. I don't care about the stats and numbers. Especially against crap teams. I just want to see him play his best in the games against good teams. Tuas record against teams with winning records is terrible and so are his precious stats. The fact is he played his best games against bad teams and he played his worst games against good teams. Tua could have only threw for 3500-4K yards but played better against the playoff teams and win a game or two more and I would be closer to thinking that maybe he is top 5. It's not about the numbers. The numbers were inflated against the bad teams anyways.

He has to play better against the good teams otherwise he is nothing more than Kirk Cousins. Which isn't bad but just not good enough to make a team competitive year in and year out like the truly elite QBs do.

I'm not convinced that Tua is anywhere close to being a top 5 QB. And the majority of football fans would agree. Don't shelter yourself to Tua and Fins fans otherwise when you have real conversations with real football folks you just come across as ignorant or bias homer fan.

You can’t get any more nebulous than that. 😂

Good job! Outstanding! Reassemble your weapon and continue Blake!!!

1713589909276.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom