Greg Van Roten, RG from the Raiders... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Van Roten, RG from the Raiders...

There may not be any signings until the cap space from Howard's post june 1 cut comes available.

They can make a deal now and just push the cap hit into next year. By not using that money on this years cap you’re just increasing next years roll over credit by whatever amount your pushing off. So at the end of the day it would be a wash and you can make a deal whenever you want.

There are several jag-type Guards who are still available in free agency.

Are any of them really better than what we have?

I'm not entirely sure that they are. Older guards (and they ARE older) are much less likely to function well in a zone blocking system. Just because a guy has spent 8-10 years in the league does not mean that he is suited for our system.

There are several jag-type Guards who are still available in free agency.

Are any of them really better than what we have?

I'm not entirely sure that they are. Older guards (and they ARE older) are much less likely to function well in a zone blocking system. Just because a guy has spent 8-10 years in the league does not mean that he is suited for our system.

Van Roten is interesting because he’s a late bloomer. For being 34, he has very little playing time and experience. Kind of one year wonder last season with Raiders after some ups and downs with a horrible Jets squad. I doubt he gets much more than $3M-$3.5M for 2024.

Van Roten is interesting because he’s a late bloomer. For being 34, he has very little playing time and experience. Kind of one year wonder last season with Raiders. I doubt he gets much more than $3M-$3.5M for 2024.
Risner only got 4m last year, and the Vikings were in no hurry to retain him at that salary.
I also think he's a poor fit for a zone system btw.

I'm certainly not adverse to signing a Risner or a Van Roten If.... IF there is little or no guaranteed money. That way, if they don't win the job in camp, we can waive them goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom