Greg Van Roten, RG from the Raiders... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Van Roten, RG from the Raiders...

Because he has been bad no matter the position he gets trotted out at?
He started and played 2 complete games at RG last season, 140 snaps, and was not bad. He graded pretty well, actually.
Yes, he had some bad games at LG in 2022, but his lone LG start last season was very good.

Currently RG is between Eich and Driscoll and I think Driscoll has a very good chance of winning that battle. I wouldn’t sleep on him being a decent player at RG for us.

I'm usually optimistic on players, just dont really think he's shown us much. Sorry. Very good, sure maybe 1 game or whatever it was. An anomaly. I'd love if he turned his career around like Jackson, but I'm not counting on it.
Exactly. In an ideal world Eich is not on the team. I just hope they can have competition and he goes back to riding the pine.

Not true. Since you have access to PFF, look at just his two RG starts in 2023 and see how he did. Actually, his lone LG start the week after the two straight RG starts, was his best game of the season. PFF graded him 83.0 overall, and 81.0 in run blocking, facing Daron Payne and Jonathan Allen.
I did, as I mentioned the two teams he played RG against. Are we selectively quoting here? You mentioned me having access to PFF so you obviously saw my other post.

Also, the Skins pass rush isn't exactly all worldly.

It's funny you mention continuity being key yet when he had continuity at LG for a year he was stir fried trash awful, but you used a single game last year against a pathetic team like it was some cursory example of him being good at LG, which is also not what we were discussing.

You guys can die on that hill defending Eich, but my original argument was with the poster who couldnt understand why people are reluctant about Eich starting at RG. There's more than enough reason to do so, arguing against that is comical.

I did, as I mentioned the two teams he played RG against. Are we selectively quoting here? You mentioned me having access to PFF so you obviously saw my other post.

Also, the Skins pass rush isn't exactly all worldly.

It's funny you mention continuity being key yet when he had continuity at LG for a year he was stir fried trash awful, but you used a single game last year against a pathetic team like it was some cursory example of him being good at LG, which is also not what we were discussing.

You guys can die on that hill defending Eich, but my original argument was with the poster who couldnt understand why people are reluctant about Eich starting at RG. There's more than enough reason to do so, arguing against that is comical.
I’m sure even Dallas Thomas might’ve had a good game here or there lol

Similar players

He started and played 2 complete games at RG last season, 140 snaps, and was not bad. He graded pretty well, actually.
Yes, he had some bad games at LG in 2022, but his lone LG start last season was very good.
It’s pointless to try and reason with the anti-Eichs. Just like it was pointless to reason with the anti -AJs before last season. Hopefully Eich will convert many of his critics like AJ did.

It’s pointless to try and reason with the anti-Eichs. Just like it was pointless to reason with the anti -AJs before last season. Hopefully Eich will convert many of his critics like AJ did.

I'm not certain it's all that polarizing. Yes, Eichenberg had a couple good games at RG. Yes, aside from that, he's been a major disappointment. Yes, some of that may have been due to coaching (or lack thereof). Yes, there's reason to believe that coaching continuity can help his progress in 2024. Yes, it's okay to hope that someone plays better than he does at RG and claims the starting position.

All of these things can be true.

Not true. He was very good at RG last year per PFF. He just only played it for two games.

Of course he sucked at center. He’s a 6’6 lifelong LT who’s never played center before at any level.

He honestly gets wrongly maligned. He sucked as a rookie starting LT—what second round rookie starts at LT at all? Of course he sucked. Then he sucked at LG the next year in his first ever time playing guard, in his first ever time blocking in an outside zone scheme. And then he sucked this year when playing center—a position that, again, he’s never played before at any level and is pretty objectively too tall to play.

Give him the offseason to actually acclimate to being a guard in a blocking scheme he now knows. He’ll be fine. He was highly drafted for a reason, and he was our starting LT as a rookie for a reason.

His problem has never been a lack of technique. He has no anchor, no base, no strength at POA. He is top heavy as hell and ends up on his ass way too often.

Those are problems that don't magically disappear just because of a positional change. In 4 years he has done nothing to improve his biggest weaknesses.

Personally, I'm not anti-Eich. I'm just pro-Dolphins. Him starting at any position on this line will be detrimental to the overall success of the team. He has consistently been terrible and it's time we do a little addition by subtraction.

Jackson showed flashes of potential and you could see a path for development. I don't see any of that same hope in Eichenberg. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong though. In the end I want the Dolphins to win regardless of who plays where.

I know that I did. I was hoping they'd re-sign Shell to play RT because I was sure Ajax could not be depended upon. Well, he went out and proved me wrong. So as for calling Eich a lost cause at this point, I will refrain from doing so. I don't want to feel silly two years in a row. The coaches basically anointed Ajax the RT at the beginning of last season, and I don't recall there being a serious competition. If they did the same with Eich at RG, we may see him signing a late-season extension as Ajax did last season.
Not saying I would not love to draft Christian Haynes to be the RG. I'm just not expecting it.
Exactly. People rewrite the past in their minds, but general consensus on this board was that Shell was better than Jackson, it was a mistake to let him go, and it was insane to give Jackson the RT spot with no competition. As it turns out, Jackson was very good and worth resigning, Lamm was even better than Shell was, and the team made the right decision on every issue at RT.

I think RG will be similar. I do want us to draft an OL if the right guy is available since we don’t have any OGs under contract for 2025 and Armstead is always a bruise away from the emergency room, but I very much see it as a luxury and a pick for the future. I don’t see us as having any huge 2024 needs on the OL.

I'm not certain it's all that polarizing. Yes, Eichenberg had a couple good games at RG. Yes, aside from that, he's been a major disappointment. Yes, some of that may have been due to coaching (or lack thereof). Yes, there's reason to believe that coaching continuity can help his progress in 2024. Yes, it's okay to hope that someone plays better than he does at RG and claims the starting position.

All of these things can be true.
100%

His problem has never been a lack of technique. He has no anchor, no base, no strength at POA. He is top heavy as hell and ends up on his ass way too often.

Those are problems that don't magically disappear just because of a positional change. In 4 years he has done nothing to improve his biggest weaknesses.
Agree with your critique, but what is the single worst thing you could do for a 6’6, top heavy player with a poor anchor? Playing him at center where he needs to focus on snapping the ball (something he’s never done before) then immediately deal with a bull rush from a 330-pound 0-tech is probably pretty high on the list.

He had no chance as a rookie starting LT and no chance as a center. That’s two of his three seasons. If he’s going to become a plus player, it’s going to be at guard. He stunk there in 2022, which was his first ever season playing guard and playing in outside zone, but he looked much better there across 140 snaps in 2023.

He is big enough, strong enough, athletic enough, and has the technique to be a very good guard. The question is whether he can anchor. He now has an entire offseason to work on that without having to learn a new position or blocking scheme.

สงกรานต์ เริ่มเลย

You can’t really compare the two. Despite being drafted a year before Eichenberg, Jackson is still more than a year and a half younger. Liam was at Notre Dame for 5 years, having played for essentially 4 years and a full time starter for 3.

Jackson was 20 years old when we drafted him and had missed his sophomore season after donating bone marrow to his sister. He was a very raw athlete where as Liam should’ve been a damn near finished product.

Eichenberg turned 26 in January, not exactly a spring chicken with loads of time to reach this mythical potential he apparently possesses.

The fact remains Liam Eichenberg is the 11th ranked starter on offense, out of 11. An offense that is far from perfect. So when you’re looking to upgrade that unit, you start at the bottom. Liam is at the bottom.

You guys can’t hold out hope and pray for his success but I’ll continue to read the writing on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom