How would getting a 1st rd 3rd WR change our scheme? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How would getting a 1st rd 3rd WR change our scheme?

Mark me down as a 'look for a big receiver in the third through fifth rounds' guy.

Yes, I'd like to work another WR into the rotation, but if we do this right, our new #3 in targets will be Jonnu Smith and our #4 in targets might even be a RB.

I think we need a receiver who possesses a DIFFERENT SKILL SET than Waddle and Hill. Offerdahl mentioned Johnny Wilson tonight... we've discussed the Rice kid... Cornelius Johnson, Luke McCaffrey...

There are several X receiver types who should be available on the third day.
this Wilson kid has numbers that are rivaling the top 3

Once the draft is over I never go back and look at what we could've done. I am a fan of leaving the past in the past and ALWAYS looking to the future.
It's an exercise in futility... every single team can point to the best two or three players who outperformed their draft spot and then whine...

Our GM sucks, he shoulda took that guy... (snivel).

Yeah... and the other 30 GMs missed that too... genius.

Nope...

What made the line better was the other 4 guys were still healthy. Wynn wasn't a good guard. You've been captured by a narrative.

The one thing you shouldn't do is assume that you can dismiss someone else's argument by saying they've been captured by a narrative...particularly if the person you're addressing is a writer.

Before Isaiah Wynn was injured last year, there was only ONE guard in the NFL who allowed fewer pressures than he did.

That guard was Robert Hunt.

Yes, yes yes. 100% agreed.

Tua was the #1 QB against the blitz last year.

When teams realized they can rush 4 defenders, drop 6-7 into coverage and STILL disrupt Tua within 2.1 seconds. Everything changed.

You need to prepare and focus on having a line that can actually pass block when teams rush only 4. Because when you play the Eagles/ Bill Chiefs etc.

You can still expect Tua to get the ball out in 2.28 seconds. That's fine.

But there's a big diferrence when he's getting the ball out in 2.28 seconds from a clean pocket as opposed to defenders consistently breathing down his neck.

The math is simple.
2.28 seconds was the fastest release in football.
He had 2.1 seconds of clean pocket time.

Get the guy a lime that can pass block for even 2.3 seconds and see what happens.

When our line was healthy and could block our offense was a Juggernaut.

By the end of the season, we kept running the same 7 or 8 plays because our line was putrid.

Look.at hilites
Look at the diferrence in play calling first 11 weeks as opposed to the last 7.

Fix the dang line.

No matter what defenders we have or WRS we have won't matter if we are only having 2.1 seconds of clean pocket time.

LT- Armstead is great. But you expect him to get hurt. His current backups were contributors to that 2.1 seconds.
LG- Wynn is great but less reliable then Armstead. Again, his backups contributed to thar 2.1 seconds.
C- Downgrade. Worst pass blocking C last year. They say he's a scheme fit. Wr shall see. We still have no actual backup C.
RG- Eichenberg..... Need I say more.

If this is truly the line that's expected to make it all work... well, atleast the first 6-8 weeks will be enjoyable again.

The elite traits that we’ve talked about Tua having since the beginning are shining through in these stats.

The most innately accurate Qb in the game

Easily the best anticipatory thrower in the game.

Easily the fastest operational Qb in the game.

McDaniel had built an offense around these three traits.

Now we need to figure out how we can operate this sophisticated offense when the communication breaks down or literally is difficult to hear.

We need to figure if there are imbalances in the offense that is derailing it when it comes to sustaining drives and scoring points.

All of this points to this, “if you protect him he will shred”

I understand bpa but, upgrades on the Oline can have serious positive trickle down affects on the run game and pass game.

So agreed with the Funk :)

The one thing you shouldn't do is assume that you can dismiss someone else's argument by saying they've been captured by a narrative...particularly if the person you're addressing is a writer.

Before Isaiah Wynn was injured last year, there was only ONE guard in the NFL who allowed fewer pressures than he did.

That guard was Robert Hunt.
That 2.1 second release time causes that.

Yes, Wynn was NOT good. Back to the lousy PFF score... he was our worst starting lineman.

Even a good writer can be captured by a narrative. Heck... that's how propaganda gets disseminated.

It's an exercise in futility... every single team can point to the best two or three players who outperformed their draft spot and then whine...

Our GM sucks, he shoulda took that guy... (snivel).

Yeah... and the other 30 GMs missed that too... genius.

The only selection that still bothers me is Dion Jordan over Lane Johnson. Before that pick was announced I told a room full of Eagles fans that the Dolphins were about to select Lane Johnson and that he was going to be a beast. And that they would end up with Dion Jordan.

Doesn't mean I didn't root hard for Dion Jordan (or Pat White, or Chad Henne, whose selections also equally irked me), I am still a Dolphins homer who will support anyone who dons the jersey.

You’re going to have a #1 WR bitching that his targets are going to a 3rd WR, which is what he did in KC.

“A lack of targets, Hill said, was one of the main things that fueled his desire to leave town after six highly-productive seasons. Hill was ultimately traded to Miami, where he has gotten the lion's share of the targets inside Mike McDaniel's offense…

"[There'd] be some games where I'd get two targets, I'd get three targets. We'd go into meetings and my coach would be like, 'We've got to get you involved, we've got to get you involved,'" Hill said on Club Shay Shay with Shannon Sharpe (h/t Pro Football Talk). "So I'm calling my agent, every week after they say some crazy stuff like that like, 'Bro, I've got to get out of here.'"”
Almost any alpha WR worth his salt wants the ball more.

I'd rather have to tell one to tone it down instead of saying you need to ramp it up.

It is a blessing and a curse, if you will.

The only selection that still bothers me is Dion Jordan over Lane Johnson. Before that pick was announced I told a room full of Eagles fans that the Dolphins were about to select Lane Johnson and that he was going to be a beast. And that they would end up with Dion Jordan.

Doesn't mean I didn't root hard for Dion Jordan (or Pat White, or Chad Henne, whose selections also irked me), I am still a Dolphins homer who will support anyone who dons the jersey.
Oh I've bitched about a few... my famous big bitch was trading up to get Waddle when we could have had Micah Parsons and St. Brown, which is what I actually recommended.

But I'd rather not talk about my mistakes.

Oh I've bitched about a few... my famous big bitch was trading up to get Waddle when we could have had Micah Parsons and St. Brown, which is what I actually recommended.

But I'd rather not talk about my mistakes.

I actually think the Cowboys would be open to offers for Parsons. Up here in Allentown a local sports station does an "expect mock draft" leading up to the draft with two local reporters from each NFL city making selections and yesterday the Dallas reporter mentioned that Micah isn't very well liked inside the building. Couple that with contract expectations for both Parsons and Lamb, along with a decision needed to be made about Prescott's future, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to make them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Speaking hypothetically of course as this is a pipe dream scenario, what's our immediate cap hit if we trade Chubb? I would trade pick 21, 2025 2nd, 2025 4th and Chubb for Parsons and pick 87.

I actually think the Cowboys would be open to offers for Parsons. Up here in Allentown a local sports station does an "expect mock draft" leading up to the draft with two local reporters from each NFL city making selections and yesterday the Dallas reporter mentioned that Micah isn't very well liked inside the building. Couple that with contract expectations for both Parsons and Lamb, along with a decision needed to be made about Prescott's future, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to make them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Speaking hypothetically of course as this is a pipe dream scenario, what's our immediate cap hit if we trade Chubb? I would trade pick 21, 2025 2nd, 2025 4th and Chubb for Parsons and pick 87.
As an aside... Pcmor used to be a sportswriter and covered Parsons when when he was still in school. I still remember asking Phil about Parsons leading up to the draft... His response said a lot... "he's umm... unusual".

ROFL... I knew right then that he meant "pain in the ass". (Phil is way nicer than I am).

As an aside... Pcmor used to be a sportswriter and covered Parsons when when he was still in school. I still remember asking Phil about Parsons leading up to the draft... His response said a lot... "he's umm... unusual".

ROFL... I knew right then that he meant "pain in the ass". (Phil is way nicer than I am).

Well there was the rather odd rumor about his "weird" acts in the Penn State locker room.

Well there was the rather odd rumor about his "weird" acts in the Penn State locker room.
ROFL... guessing that the rumours were true.

Parsons was my #1 want that year, and despite my open enthusiasm... my smarter buddy (ahem) tried to temper my enthusiasm.

Flashy toys don't mean squat when you can't block, just ask the Niners, it cost them a Super Bowl.
Excellent point!

I'll also once again bring up KC and the best QB in football a couple Super Bowls ago - they couldn't even generate a TD with only 1 or 2 guys missing.

I asked "my boys" if they would want a dude who dragged his sack all over another dude's face on our team.

It was pretty much a '**** that guy' response.

Back
Top Bottom