PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

PFF’s Favorite and Least Favorite Miami Dolphins Free Agency Move

Chiefs are the model to follow, managing their cap, trading players or letting them walk when they cannot afford to keep then over the long term, keeping their picks and adding more opportunistically. Nobody hits on all their picks but having more of them makes it easier to field a quality team at affordable cost.

The big question is whether we have the right core to build around. I submit that the Fins do not yet have their equivalent of Mahomes-Kelce-Long (plus 3 top end OL).

Fun fact for 2025 KC currently has 5 players scheduled to make >$10mm including Mahomes, while Miami has 7 such players not including Tua (nor Waddle or Phillips). I know $10mil is an arbitrary break but it illustrates the difference in approach. The cap dictates a smaller core of elite players on market contracts with the bulk of the roster on rookie or modest deals, while the Dolphins have a larger group of semi-elite market contract players and insufficient quality players on rookie contracts. To me that doesn't mean the window is closed for Miami but we need to get comfortable parting with non-core stars when they hit free agency or perhaps 1-2 years before they do if we want to build for long term success. At least be flexible and ruthlessly discriminating around who is considered "core."

Another minor detail--Tua needs to be Super Bowl caliber or else the team needs to keep fishing in thr QB pond and developing them in hopes of getting that kind of player who is worth the max contract and its knock-on effect on the rest of the roster.

Good post!

A couple of observations:

1. Mahomes is Mahomes and can cover for weaknesses in their roster that every other QB in the league can’t. That’s an advantage that isn’t really attributable to cap management / roster construction

2. Is Tua a SB calibre QB? Pages of posts have and will be written debating this. I don’t know the answer but going back to the well every 3 years or so hoping to luck into Brady or Mahomes scares me

3. Linked to the above … I think the stability and continuity that Andy Reid being their HC for more than a decade is maybe underrated.

Reek and Chubb technically should count as 'draft choices' and pretty damn good ones too. They are veteran and proven unlike 50% of first round draft choices. While it's expensive, they are near the top at their positions. You can argue against Chubb but he has made the D better for the attention he occupies. Reek is the best, period.
While I agree that Reek is the best, actually the best WR to ever play under our uniform, it is pretty evident that to be successful you need a combo of QB, Headcoach and drafting gurus that can take the team to the top level. We are still hoping that Tua and Mike are that good but so far it look quite promising. Now Grier may be an incredible GM for free agency, but he is not even average at drafting and he keeps ignoring the OL and the big risk of betting on so many injury prone players.

Is Tua a SB calibre QB? Pages of posts have and will be written debating this. I don’t know the answer but going back to the well every 3 years or so hoping to luck into Brady or Mahomes scares me
To be clear I am not saying he will or wont be (i dont think he has shown SB level skills yet) but I agree we cannot have a revolving door at QB waiting for a Brady or Mahomes to appear. And by all means we have to extend Tua, though I think the "market" for his services is more middle of the pack and I prefer the team have an out after 3 years. But a competitive-ish team that isnt sure about the current guy and wants to try to find their Brady or Mahomes must be investing draft capital in the position. Perhaps the 3rd quarterback spot on the roster should be reserved for developmemtal players with a theoretical ceiling to replace and upgrade over Tua. Skylar most likely is not that guy, and I advocate drafting a QB late and letting him compete for the 3rd string/scout team QB position. And repeating the process every time a) the third string is deemed good enough to move up to 2nd string or b) the 3rd guy washes out. Hence we should be drafting a QB nearly every single year, albeit not with the top pick. Hopefully Tua grows into an elite passer who can win without an all star supporting cast and we have the problem of paying him a bazillion dollar QB1 contract, but the team needs to also plan for that not happening.

While I agree that Reek is the best, actually the best WR to ever play under our uniform, it is pretty evident that to be successful you need a combo of QB, Headcoach and drafting gurus that can take the team to the top level. We are still hoping that Tua and Mike are that good but so far it look quite promising. Now Grier may be an incredible GM for free agency, but he is not even average at drafting and he keeps ignoring the OL and the big risk of betting on so many injury prone players.
He drafted on of the highest paid guards in the NFL and a starting RT with the only 2 high draft choices spent on the OL.

Which bit of Grier and the draft don’t folks understand?
Grier does not sit in a room all on his own drafting players, he in conjunction with the scouts/HC/coordinators/FO look at hours of films and work out who they want, when and all the options.
He doesn’t sit there and go “hey coach I’ve drafted another QB rather than an OL”
The tired old posts of Grier can’t draft OL are just stupid.

Chiefs are the model to follow, managing their cap, trading players or letting them walk when they cannot afford to keep then over the long term, keeping their picks and adding more opportunistically. Nobody hits on all their picks but having more of them makes it easier to field a quality team at affordable cost.

The big question is whether we have the right core to build around. I submit that the Fins do not yet have their equivalent of Mahomes-Kelce-Long (plus 3 top end OL).

Fun fact for 2025 KC currently has 5 players scheduled to make >$10mm including Mahomes, while Miami has 7 such players not including Tua (nor Waddle or Phillips). I know $10mil is an arbitrary break but it illustrates the difference in approach. The cap dictates a smaller core of elite players on market contracts with the bulk of the roster on rookie or modest deals, while the Dolphins have a larger group of semi-elite market contract players and insufficient quality players on rookie contracts. To me that doesn't mean the window is closed for Miami but we need to get comfortable parting with non-core stars when they hit free agency or perhaps 1-2 years before they do if we want to build for long term success. At least be flexible and ruthlessly discriminating around who is considered "core."

Another minor detail--Tua needs to be Super Bowl caliber or else the team needs to keep fishing in thr QB pond and developing them in hopes of getting that kind of player who is worth the max contract and its knock-on effect on the rest of the roster.
Who is Long? I'm drawing a blank.

Can't complain. All were very reasonable deals. Only disappointment so far has been Kendall Lamm's situation. He did well last year. Thought he'd have been a priority for Miami. I wonder what's going on with him and his F/A position, haven't heard anything.

OBJ as big a fan as I am. I knew it be about the money. I'm just glad Grier didn't oblige.
I think Miami is comfortable with Kion Smith as their primary backup at tackle so there is no need to re-sign Lamm.

Good post!

A couple of observations:

1. Mahomes is Mahomes and can cover for weaknesses in their roster that every other QB in the league can’t. That’s an advantage that isn’t really attributable to cap management / roster construction

2. Is Tua a SB calibre QB? Pages of posts have and will be written debating this. I don’t know the answer but going back to the well every 3 years or so hoping to luck into Brady or Mahomes scares me

3. Linked to the above … I think the stability and continuity that Andy Reid being their HC for more than a decade is maybe underrated.
That's exactly why New England was able to be a dynasty in spite of being awful at drafting. Brady fixed just about everything.

That's exactly why New England was able to be a dynasty in spite of being awful at drafting. Brady fixed just about everything.
Nothing to do with consistently having a top defense, offensive line and defensive line? The best defensive coach in history? Extremely talented offensive coordinator in Josh McDaniels who could always scheme a player like Welker or Julian Edelman open? The best tight end in history (arguably) who was a matchup nightmare? Ok.

I think Miami is comfortable with Kion Smith as their primary backup at tackle so there is no need to re-sign Lamm.
I get that impression as well. But I do suspect that they'll take a high ceiling T if he falls to them. I would guess that while they're comfortable with Smith as the back-up, they know they'll need two LT potentials for next season.

...while the Dolphins have a larger group of semi-elite market contract players and insufficient quality players on rookie contracts. To me that doesn't mean the window is closed for Miami but we need to get comfortable parting with non-core stars when they hit free agency or perhaps 1-2 years before they do if we want to build for long term success. At least be flexible and ruthlessly discriminating around who is considered "core."

I agree and it's why I've continually been a skeptic.

We've hit on solid players with high picks but none worthy of building the franchise around. There's no HoF MLB who we could've built an entire Super Bowl caliber defense around and would've been happy re-signing. There's been no HoF QB who would've been capable of carrying the team to the Super Bowl with the weaponry we've had over the last couple years.

We've had a good roster but not a great one, thus I'm not going to fall in love with anyone from Holland to Phillips to Tua. Injuries and general lack of performance against good competition have too often let us down with this group. If we ultimately have to rebuild with another, so be it.

People point to Wilkins and Hunt as hits (and they are hits to be fair about it even though that's now ancient history) but they weren't good enough to warrant re-signing not only because they will prove replaceable from a talent perspective but also because they are a DT and a G, two positions that are always replaceable due to a lack of direct game-impact unless you're talking about a HoF-level player (e.g. Aaron Donald).

The lesson:
>> If you take a non-premium position high in the draft, be it a DT, G, FS, RB, etc., that player had better be a franchise player worthy of HoF discussion or else they just won't have warranted the pick. It's dangerous to pick such positions because it's so hard to make it worth your while. Those positions are too available, too replaceable and too cheap not to fill via mid-rounders and FA.

Grier's most recent job was to make sure we had alternatives when those two hit FA and as far as I can tell, he did nothing for us. We'll be worse at DT with two stop-gaps and the interior OL is still a question.

A bad GM is constantly racing around plugging holes and that's exactly what we've been doing for a long, long time. The Tank only exacerbated that by creating a talent deficiency across the entire roster and setting up a situation where we'd do exactly what we've done >> used high picks on non-premium positions to fill holes and brought in a bunch of expensive outside talent to make us look competitive.

...Tua needs to be Super Bowl caliber or else the team needs to keep fishing in thr QB pond and developing them in hopes of getting that kind of player who is worth the max contract and its knock-on effect on the rest of the roster.

My fear is that the NFL has consciously turned itself into a game where no star is worthy of a large 2nd contract unless that player (this being especially true of QBs through which the entire game is controlled) has transcendent physical talent capable of reaching a level you'd call "unstoppable."

What you describe about stars and fill-ins is probably true and it makes a lot of sense in terms of marketing. The more concentrated and "heroic" a few singular people are the more marketable it is. You need your stars and it's better if the sport is built around identifying it's icons.

I don't know what about Tua is supposedly so. He's thus far shown to be quite stoppable as far as I can tell. Why we'd forego future lottery picks to stick with a known commodity is a mystery to me. I think people forget how easy it is to be a middle-of-the-road team. With a little effort, Miami isn't falling that far back and yet being a perennial 9-, 10- or 11-win team probably ain't enough.

For instance, the Bills went 7-9 in 2016 and then 9-7 in 2017 under QB Tyrod Taylor before getting into position in the following draft (through a trade with Tampa Bay) where they selected Josh Allen with the #7 pick (the 3rd QB in that draft).

You don't have to suck to find a guy that changes the course of your franchise--and it isn't that hard to be .500--but you can't tie yourself to someone who ain't the man. The Chiefs were a Playoff team when they drafted Pat Mahomes. They didn't tank to make that happen. But they weren't afraid of moving on from Alex Smith either. Deshaun Watson went a couple picks later to a Texans team that won it's division and won a Playoff game the year prior under QB Brock Osweiler.

We all root for the Dolphins and for Tua but that doesn't mean we're betting our life savings on them to beat out better teams/players. ;)

Last edited:
Nothing to do with consistently having a top defense, offensive line and defensive line? The best defensive coach in history? Extremely talented offensive coordinator in Josh McDaniels who could always scheme a player like Welker or Julian Edelman open? The best tight end in history (arguably) who was a matchup nightmare? Ok.
Didn’t they have a lot of those things after Brady left? Yeah, it was Belichick and his “great” history of drafting that carried the Patriots 🙄. Do you know what Belichick’s record is without Brady?

Didn’t they have a lot of those things after Brady left? Yeah, it was Belichick and his “great” history of drafting that carried the Patriots 🙄. Do you know what Belichick’s record is without Brady?

The Patriots "dynasty" is mostly taken as 2001 - 2004.

You said:
1711643947062.png

That early Patriots "dynasty" was built on the back of an elite defense. Tom Brady did not directly cause that defense to come into existence (although I'm sure a good QB helps the situation).

Point being, there was a ton of defensive talent on that early-2000s Patriots roster and anyone suggesting Belichick wasn't one of the NFL's foremost DCs is probably wrong.

Patriots DEF rank by Points Allowed:

2001: #6 (SB)
2002: #17
2003: #1 (SB)
2004: #2 (SB)

Even in their 2nd "dynasty" they were great on defense:

2016: #1 (SB win over ATL)
2017: #5 (SB loss to PHI)
2018: #7 (SB win over LAR)

Back
Top Bottom