Seeking a veteran pass rusher, the Dolphins brought in Carl Lawson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Seeking a veteran pass rusher, the Dolphins brought in Carl Lawson

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
It was decidedly odd that the Jets just *didn't play* Lawson after he recovered from his back injury. I can't imagine he'd be expensive, and he was productive in a rotational role with the Bengals and Jets.

Just...odd.
Perhaps he wasn’t fully recovered from his back injury and that is why the Jets opted not to play him much.

It was decidedly odd that the Jets just *didn't play* Lawson after he recovered from his back injury. I can't imagine he'd be expensive, and he was productive in a rotational role with the Bengals and Jets.

Just...odd.
They started Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson at Edge and rotated in Will McDonald. Being the 4th Edge, maybe they needed whoever it was to be good on STs, and Lawson did not fit there.

Last edited:
They started Bryce Huff and Jermaine Johnson at Edge and rotated in Will Anderson. Being the 4th Edge, maybe they needed whoever it was to be good on STs, and Lawson did not fit there.
Seems like we might run into the same roster crunch here since I don't see Barrett, Phillips or Chubb getting many reps on ST this season either. Would like to see us draft a LB with the tools to rotate at both traditional LB and Edge. In one of my mocks I traded down to gain a 3rd rounder and took Payton Wilson with that type of usage in mind. He might cost our 2nd IRL though.

Maybe just another guy to bring to camp when 90 are allowed. Then see who makes it to 53.

Another sign we won't and can't rely on Phillips / Chubb for meaningful reps this season.

Another sign we won't and can't rely on Phillips / Chubb for meaningful reps this season.
You might be correct about Chubb. Same sources who said Williams injury was worse than acl are now saying Chubb might be in same boat. Not confirmed. Just rumblings. Something to be aware of but not panic yet

You might be correct about Chubb. Same sources who said Williams injury was worse than acl are now saying Chubb might be in same boat. Not confirmed. Just rumblings. Something to be aware of but not panic yet
If indeed the Dolphins Drs are genuinely worried about Chubb, then I would change my stance and push Edge up our needs list.
I still don't think I'd be interested in the first round, but some of the lower ranked candidates are interesting.

If indeed the Dolphins Drs are genuinely worried about Chubb, then I would change my stance and push Edge up our needs list.
I still don't think I'd be interested in the first round, but some of the lower ranked candidates are interesting.
I like the idea of taking an edge rusher with one eye on the future, I don't think you can have too many. I'm not sold on the idea of a rookie edge having much impact this season though. I think the too 3 guys are gone by #21 anyway, so probably a moot point unless we trade back into the early second round.

I like the idea of taking an edge rusher with one eye on the future, I don't think you can have too many. I'm not sold on the idea of a rookie edge having much impact this season though. I think the too 3 guys are gone by #21 anyway, so probably a moot point unless we trade back into the early second round.
I just don't have extremely high ratings on this year's Edge group. Verse and Latu are older, and that past neck injury on Latu scares me.

When I watch the Verse film, I see that most of his sacks seemed to come off of bull-rushes... and I just don't see that working at the higher level. NFL Tackles are so much better, stronger than what he's faced in college... and in the NFL, the linemen will just hold you if you try that.
He got 9 sacks each in his last two years... this isn't stellar... merely good considering the level of competition that he faced. I don't think he'll be a star.

Chop is a possibility... but geez... 5.5 sacks? That isn't stellar production at all, though he is young.

This is a group that screams... not first round.

Back
Top Bottom