The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 108 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

That depends on how much you are willing to bet on character concerns... in general, I avoid them like the plague.
As a smoker myself, the gas mask usage didn't scare me, it was the fact that his own stepfather (I think) was the one trying to torpedo him... I've seen way to many NFL players crash and burn (sometimes literally) because of this off field stupidity.

All that said, my capacity for risk is pretty high and I watched him fall with glee. ...and I'd take Mims if he falls to us. There are a couple that I like better, but drafting a ten year player always appeals to me.
I havnt smoked out of a gas mask In 20 years 😆 🤣 😂 I'm a bong guy

Smoke Weed GIF

I feel like we are not talking enough about Jared Verse. Almost every mock I've seen this week has us taking Verse.

I'm not a fan of taking defense in round 1, so this topic doesn't excite me at all but figured we should acknowledge his possibility of being the pick.

Mims played as a sophomore. He just split time with the senior starter

I feel like we are not talking enough about Jared Verse. Almost every mock I've seen this week has us taking Verse.

I'm not a fan of taking defense in round 1, so this topic doesn't excite me at all but figured we should acknowledge his possibility of being the pick.
I'm not as high on Verse as some here. His production has been good, not great. (9 sacks each in his last 2 years) Plus, he's a 5th year player which I never like in a speed based player (as most of the better ones leave college early).

But the thing that most concerns me is his film. When I sat down and watched him, I just didn't see any plays where he showed 'bend' in getting around linemen. Most of his better plays came off bull-rush plays... He's not a big guy, and at 254# I strongly suspect that his favored tactics won't work against a 320 lb.. NFL player.

Hell... when discussing OTs, scouts always talk about 'grip strength', because let's be honest, the NFL allows all but the most egregious holding... and guys who bull rush... get held.

My comparison for Verse? A small Ogbah. He's got the same tool kit, but 15-20 pounds less to work with. I see a DE2... maybe.

Lots of people saying Morgan would be a great zone scheme LG too. I think the positional versatility is pretty close between the two.
I feel the same way.

He might not have the OT upside but I think Morgan's floor is a very good OG in a zone scheme.

Yes, not raw. That's not to say he's perfect, but he plays with good awareness and technique. In the 22/23 playoffs, he handles the Ohio State DE's with little issue, and those guys will be NFL players.

Who is the proven LT you're referring to?
I think you already know which 1st round OTs played primarily LT in college.

They were 31st in pass blocking win rate with a whopping 49%:
ESPN's Pass Block Win Rate. That appears to be an extremely misleading metric with respect to the Dolphins because a play is only classified as a "win" if the OL holds the block for more than 2.5 seconds. Of course, if the QB throws the ball in 2.24 seconds (Tua's average for the 2023 season), it isn't classified as a win. It is not entirely clear if that effectively makes it a "loss" that counts against the Dolphins or if it just isn't counted, but according to PFF Tua threw the ball in less than 2.5 seconds 62.6% of the time, so being as charitable as possible to that metric as applied to the Dolphins it is at best only relevant to 37.4% of Dolphins pass plays.

Great stats and information, thanks.

My follow up is simple.

Tuas clean pocket time was 2.1 seconds for the season. Worst for any starter in the league.

Tuas time of release was 2.28 seconds. Fastest in the league.

Do you believe those metrics and stats you provided are more thanks to the actual O line? Or Tua and McDaniels scheme?

There was a clear diferrence in blocking the last 6-7 Gamez.

Would you be able to provide those same metrics, on our o line for the last 7 games?

When evaluating if pass blocking was a problem, those last 7 games are very important.

Miami no longer have their starting RG AND C

Their replacement C was one of the worst pass blocking centers last year.

Our LT and LG are hurt majority of the season.

The only constant is our RT who also gets hurt.

So for me, it really baffles me that anyone actually believes the pass blocking is OK.

Our offense was a completely diferrent team the last 6 games or so.
I'll ask my friend. I do not have access to the site where he got those rankings.
All, I know about the last 7 regular season games is we averaged 27.3 points per game. For the entire season, it was 29.2.

My push for Chop Robinson is working under the assumption that Verse is off the board. If he’s there at 21, absolutely go there.

Verse had one pressure every 5.30 snaps in 2023. That is very good. Latu was one every 4.96. Turner was the same as Verse, one every 5.30.
Whatever we do revolves around who falls and who is already off the board and none of us know right now.

At 21i like Barton OL or one of the 2 edge guys Verse or Latu one of the those three guys will be on the Board.

Back
Top Bottom