The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 94 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

If draft a guy who can only play RT- moving Austin Jackson back over to the left side may not be the worst idea in a year. He showed promise as a rookie, and we seem to have competent coaches now
I had that same thought a couple days ago.

Football tradition has always assumed that you put your Tackle with the best movement skills on the Left side because that's the QBs blind side.
Then you put your burliest Tackle on the right side because your right handed QB had an easier time handing off to a RB running to the right side. Generally, teams placed the Tight End over there too... leaving that LT on an island... all alone and protecting the back of his QBs head.

So from the time a youngster begins playing football... the quickest, most mobile Tackle always plays on the left side...

But our QB is a lefty, and we run so much motion and resetting that all of the football tradition goes out the window... not to mention that most college tackles HAVE played on the Left side as they were coming up.

So... no, I don't for an instant buy the idea that most Tackles are not perfectly capable of switching sides early in their career... especially if they are not asked to start at LT immediately.

TA wasn't a master coming in, but he had an athletic profile that lent itself to that kind of development. Barton has a similar athletic profile, actually better. Development is never guaranteed, but projection is what the draft is about. I'm never assuming any player will be anything. What all teams do is project whether a player can reach a level based on the traits he has. Barton has traits that suggest that potential is a good bet.
That's fine as long as you project the floor as well as the ceiling. People on message boards often only project the one side that matches an agenda, though.

Professional scouts and evaluators are more thorough and non biased.

Thanks. PFF leaders- I'm coming around on Paul at 55 - he's the BMF giant of a giant class - height, weight, arm length, hands, feet- HUGE. Shocking impact with his hand punch; good pass block sets and anchors. On the downside, despite some articles praising it, I think his feet are poor. "Lumbering". Won't be at the second level much IMO. Maybe Ajax and Brewer being SO good at that could balance it out. Love Fuaga - take him in the small chance he falls, period. Yale Kiran- best at goal line and red zone blocking, physical monster. Draft him and make McD coach him up and use him. He can do it; not every player we add has to fit the current exact scheme. Add power man block runs behind him to the short yardage playbook !! These three dominated this article, thanks for the link.

Is this the Ladd McConkey Daniel Jeremiah and Lindy's both say is the best route runner in this draft?
Have you ever watched him play? He didn't seem to have trouble separating in the greatest conference in college football.

Here's what Lindy's says:
Comp player: Jaylen Reed Green Bay Packers

They named McConkey as the top route runner in class saying:
Has outstanding quickness
His nuances and creativity with route running makes him a difficult matchup

Scouting report: Strengths

Good athlete, had enough speed to challenge top SEC prospects Emmanuel Forbes and Kris Abrams-Draine.
Route running skills are very refined
Gets in and out of his breaks with agility and is able to jam out physical cornerbacks to gain separation
run after catch ability is assisted by his high agility level
Able to juke out LBs and DBs on his way down the field

We'd be lucky to get him at 55 but he won't be there. 21 would be a big reach but he's going to be a very productive player for a team that takes him between 33 and 50.
Appreciate your take. You like the guy, I'm lukewarm. Those scouting reports clash, and I watched Georgia play quite a bit. McConkey is a good college player but I think that NFL DB's will render him ineffective. My take is that he will have trouble getting off jams at the line at this level,

Appreciate your take. You like the guy, I'm lukewarm. Those scouting reports clash, and I watched Georgia play quite a bit. McConkey is a good college player but I think that NFL DB's will render him ineffective. My take is that he will have trouble getting off jams at the line at this level,
Interesting take, Luke just seems like a football player to me though, tough, does nothing elite but can just play.

Football tradition has always assumed that you put your Tackle with the best movement skills on the Left side because that's the QBs blind side.
Then you put your burliest Tackle on the right side because your right handed QB had an easier time handing off to a RB running to the right side. Generally, teams placed the Tight End over there too... leaving that LT on an island... all alone and protecting the back of his QBs head.

So from the time a youngster begins playing football... the quickest, most mobile Tackle always plays on the left side...

But our QB is a lefty, and we run so much motion and resetting that all of the football tradition goes out the window... not to mention that most college tackles HAVE played on the Left side as they were coming up.

So... no, I don't for an instant buy the idea that most Tackles are not perfectly capable of switching sides early in their career... especially if they are not asked to start at LT immediately.
I agree that with Tua being a lefty and with the offense we run, the traditional OT's might be a little different for us. So hard to tell what this team will actually do but one thing is for sure, we have to make our top two picks count......all we have from our last two drafts is Achane.....that needs to change this year. We need two starters/big contributors with our top two picks.

Tindall was a third round pick for Christ's sakes. Tindall hasn't played because he's not good, not because they didn't have a need for him to play. I feel your view is so short sighted. Getting guys that can play immediately to fill holes is what free agency is for. I feel that the first round especially, should be used on core players at premium positions that you have control of for five years on a rookie contract. The Texans are a bad example. They had two picks in the top three and had needs at bunch of positions.

Don't really get your argument, If we take a DT or WR or edge in the first round who are we passing on with more talent? I think you did say you wanted a guy who is our future LT even if he doesn't play right away. Not in favor of that because then you would be passing on a better player now and the 2024 season is what matters, not 3 or 5 years from now. This isn't 1984 where teams have 12 picks and there is no free agency. You have to fill holes because rosters often lose 25% or more of last year's players.

You don't like the Houston example but the point is that all the AFC teams who were better than Miami had 2 or more rookies who made big impacts in their rookie years. I'll give you another example that might hit closer to home- in 2020 we had 3 first round picks and we spent two of them on projections, a young LT and an athletic CB nobody thought would get drafted before the 3rd round. He busted out and the LT took three years to become serviceable- at another position.

You're kinda straddling the fence but it sounds like your first preference is to take a LT in round 1 whether he plays this year or not.

I don't know who you think is going to be available at 21 for us that fits your criteria of future LT? You don't typically get left tackles at the end of the first round.

We've had 8 picks in the 2 previous drafts and the only one who has played and made a serious contribution is Achane and you want to take the 21st best player (potentially) and turn him into a good investment over a 5 year period rather than an immediate starter.

No thanks..
The tackle depth, especially in the first round, is tremendous this draft class, so absolutely I think Miami can draft their future starting left tackle at 21 if that’s the way they decide to go. Who is this “magical” edge rusher you expect to take at 21 in a class where edge isn’t thought to be that strong a class? The DT prospects all have flaws also. I don’t think Miami feels desperate to take another DT and if they do, there will be plenty available in the second round who aren’t that different than the prospects you could get in the first round at that position. Even the receivers after the top 3 or 4 aren’t really thought to be number one type receivers. They become “ beauty in the eye of the beholder” after the first few. I don’t know who you think is going to step in right away and make a big impact on a roster that almost all the starting positions are filled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom