The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 100 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

He tried to cover by saying "I think I already know the answer, but..." Didn't help. Grier gave a diplomatic answer, but kinda laughed as he was saying it. He agreed with you 😂
Only good thing about the question being asked and laughed at is that maybe it would stop the useless posts on here about an early QB pick. But probably not.

Yes, context matters.

Some writers actually understand things like how quickly a team releases the ball.

Sadly, some writers are as dumb as rocks.
This is from a friend on another forum. Take it for what you will.
"The bottom line is that the OL, despite all the injuries, helped this offense lead the league in passing yards, deep passing yards, total yards, rushing TDs, YPC, pressure rate, TPE*, conversion rate on 3rd and 7-15, pressure rate on 3rd and 7-15, pressure rate on 5/7 step drops and Blown Block rate. Not average. Not just above average. Not just good. The best in the league in all of those categories. And second-best in points and intermediate passing yards.

Thank McD. Give Butch Barry a Nobel Prize. Credit Tua. Who cares? The bottom line is that the OL was not a problem and outperformed every other OL in the league even with the injuries that kept 4/5 starting OL out for a big chunk of the season.

PBE -- 1st
Pressure rate allowed -- 1st
Total Pressures allowed --1st
QB hits allowed -- 1st
Hurries allowed -- 1st
Sacks allowed -- 11th (with largely immobile QB)
Pass Blown Block rate -- 1st
Pass Blown Block rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 7th
Pressure rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 5th
Sack rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 2nd
Pressure rate on 5/7 step drops -- 1st
Sack rate on 5/7 step drops -- 1st
Pass Blocking Points Earned -- 1st
Pass Blocking Points Earned per play -- 1st"

(*TPE is Total Points Earned. It's a SIS metric that basically allocates EPA (Expected Points Added) points among the players on the field that contributed.)

But neither of us thinks we should ignore the OL on the draft's first two days.

Bases on the fact that he is one of the most athletic tackles in the draft... He played TE at Oklahoma before moving to OT including catching a TD pass.

He is not stiff, he has the feet and agility to play either side.
His athleticism is a plus, for sure. But some OTs just kick slide better in one particular direction. If we do pick him, which I'm not expecting, I'd rather leave him at RT and move Jackson to LT.

Naw... I think most of us wouldn't be upset...

Disappointed. Convinced that we'd made a mistake... yes.

Upset and sulky? Naw... that comes from the muscleheads and trolls.
No matter who the picks are I am willing to wait for a few months at least before being convinced of any mistakes. I'll try to consider the perspectives of the coaching staff and Grier. Charles Harris was the only time I strayed from doing that in recent years.
If you wanna go back to my wayward youth, I totally came unglued the very moment the names Sammie Smith and Billy Milner were announced.

One reason I'd laugh my arse off if we take Newton is because some of the experts here would lose their sh*t over the pick. LOL.
Now that you've responded... let me spotlight what you've written.

You'd laugh at the other brothers here. Would take joy at their dismay...

Umm... I think your vengeful attitude towards other Dolphins fans is a problem... and I'm sure this negativity will color others view of you.

I'm not sure if a group kumbaya is the answer, but maybe you could show a bit more compassion for other points of view.

This is from a friend on another forum. Take it for what you will.
"The bottom line is that the OL, despite all the injuries, helped this offense lead the league in passing yards, deep passing yards, total yards, rushing TDs, YPC, pressure rate, TPE*, conversion rate on 3rd and 7-15, pressure rate on 3rd and 7-15, pressure rate on 5/7 step drops and Blown Block rate. Not average. Not just above average. Not just good. The best in the league in all of those categories. And second-best in points and intermediate passing yards.

Thank McD. Give Butch Barry a Nobel Prize. Credit Tua. Who cares? The bottom line is that the OL was not a problem and outperformed every other OL in the league even with the injuries that kept 4/5 starting OL out for a big chunk of the season.

PBE -- 1st
Pressure rate allowed -- 1st
Total Pressures allowed --1st
QB hits allowed -- 1st
Hurries allowed -- 1st
Sacks allowed -- 11th (with largely immobile QB)
Pass Blown Block rate -- 1st
Pass Blown Block rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 7th
Pressure rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 5th
Sack rate on 3rd and 7+ -- 2nd
Pressure rate on 5/7 step drops -- 1st
Sack rate on 5/7 step drops -- 1st
Pass Blocking Points Earned -- 1st
Pass Blocking Points Earned per play -- 1st"

(*TPE is Total Points Earned. It's a SIS metric that basically allocates EPA (Expected Points Added) points among the players on the field that contributed.)

But neither of us thinks we should ignore the OL on the draft's first two days.
This is what happens when you use stats instead of watching the games. McDaniel was calling plays with that OL in the back of his mind down the stretch. If he didn't have that concern, maybe his play calls wouldn't have been so bland with the screens, etc. Our playback was condensed with the injuries especially the one that forced Eich in as a starting center.

It is a measurable. Ppl put varying degrees of importance on it.

To me, it is something to consider, but not a lone, deciding factor. I already said I was speaking in general, not about a specific player.
IMO, and YMMV, the most important traits in an LT are feet and balance.

Now that you've responded... let me spotlight what you've written.

You'd laugh at the other brothers here. Would take joy at their dismay...

Umm... I think your vengeful attitude towards other Dolphins fans is a problem... and I'm sure this negativity will color others view of you.

I'm not sure if a group kumbaya is the answer, but maybe you could show a bit more compassion for other points of view.
No matter who gets picked with the first pick, some will be joyous, some will be dismayed, and some will come unglued, most likely.
Does not matter in the overall scheme of things.

I did say it was one reason I'd laugh my arse off if we take Newton. Not the only one. The main reason is a really like the dude. And my laughter would be joyful.

Back
Top Bottom