The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 101 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

The tackle depth, especially in the first round, is tremendous this draft class, so absolutely I think Miami can draft their future starting left tackle at 21 if that’s the way they decide to go. Who is this “magical” edge rusher you expect to take at 21 in a class where edge isn’t thought to be that strong a class? The DT prospects all have flaws also. I don’t think Miami feels desperate to take another DT and if they do, there will be plenty available in the second round who aren’t that different than the prospects you could get in the first round at that position. Even the receivers after the top 3 or 4 aren’t really thought to be number one type receivers. They become “ beauty in the eye of the beholder” after the first few. I don’t know who you think is going to step in right away and make a big impact on a roster that almost all the starting positions are filled.
Gimme some names of LT's you'll get at 21.
Verse, Latu and Robinson all have potential to be there

Stop with the DT's "all have flaws" nonsense. That argument has been smashed into little pieces for weeks. Go look or read what most draft experts are saying about Murphy and Newton. They are head and shoulders above all other DTs because they rush the passer, which is a quality we do not have even with the collection of JAG DTs Grier has signed. The idea that there's no difference between first and second round DT's sounds like something KJP would say.

Here are the positions that can be upgraded with our first pick
pass rushing DT
Edge rusher
third WR
Right Guard

Before you say who cares about a third WR or we don't need another pass rusher they'd both get more snaps than your mythical LT we're going to pull out of a hat in the back half of round 1.

third safety

Stop with the DT's "all have flaws" nonsense. That argument has been smashed into little pieces for weeks. Go look or read what most draft experts are saying about Murphy and Newton. They are head and shoulders above all other DTs because they rush the passer, which is a quality we do not have even with the collection of JAG DTs Grier has signed. The idea that there's no difference between first and second round DT's sounds like something KJP would say.

pass rushing DT
Edge rusher
third WR
Right Guard

Before you say who cares about a third WR or we don't need another pass rusher they'd both get more snaps than your mythical LT we're going to pull out of a hat in the back half of round 1.

third safety
Kind of condescending attitude, people will disagree on here

Kind of condescending attitude, people will disagree on here
It goes both ways but I guess I'm the bad guy because I don't believe we should reach for another OL who is going to take years to develop.

Disagreement are fine. But when you keep repeating BS just to enforce your OL derangement syndrome ideas people are going to push back. Its a group think thing in here where people will say "its so obvious OL is our biggest need" or "we don't need any more WRs" or "this guy can play LT because he's athletic". Or my favorite "there's no difference between the top two DTs and the second round ones". These have never been good arguments and should be swatted. sorry you don't like that but maybe there needs to be a separate forum for the OL or die crew. I'll stay the hell out of that one.

Not because of record the year before, but one year, I want Miami to have three picks in the first...two in the second and a couple in the third. How excited for the draft would we all be then!?!?!
Not in 4 years when you have to pay them, almost like ... now...

Last edited:

pass rushing DT
Edge rusher
third WR
Right Guard

third safety
I'm done arguing with you. Miami needs a tackle for the future. When Armsted retires at the end of the season Miami will have no starting left tackle and very little money to get one in free agency, especially because tackle is one of the most expensive players on an NFL roster. This draft is loaded with offensive tackles. I have no problem with Miami investing a first round draft resource on a premium position player for the future. That's how you keep your salary cap structure in line.
I don't really care what position Miami drafts in the first round, but to think that if Miami's first pick isn't a major contributor in his first season that somehow means it wasn't the right pick is so short sighted.

There was a lot of ' non answer' answers there, which was to be expected but a lot of read between the line hints to gleam info from...

I'm done arguing with you. Miami needs a tackle for the future. When Armsted retires at the end of the season Miami will have no starting left tackle and very little money to get one in free agency, especially because tackle is one of the most expensive players on an NFL roster. This draft is loaded with offensive tackles. I have no problem with Miami investing a first round draft resource on a premium position player for the future. That's how you keep your salary cap structure in line.
I don't really care what position Miami drafts in the first round, but to think that if Miami's first pick isn't a major contributor in his first season that somehow means it wasn't the right pick is so short sighted.
100%

Signing or trading for an OT is PROHIBITIVELY expensive... and finding a cheap one through the draft is just like having a QB on a rookie contract, it fixes so... so much.

...and most of the best ones WERE highly rated draft picks. Later round Lineman rarely become stars.

We've also mentioned the 5-6 big contracts per team idea... there is NO ROOM for another. No way in Hell.

So... unless you think Kion Smith is the answer, and that would be a better answer than we'll magically find one later... we'd better take a shot, this year when scouts say it's the best Tackle year they've EVER seen.

Most of us say, round 1, but honestly, round 2 might work... maybe.

It goes both ways but I guess I'm the bad guy because I don't believe we should reach for another OL who is going to take years to develop.

Disagreement are fine. But when you keep repeating BS just to enforce your OL derangement syndrome ideas people are going to push back. Its a group think thing in here where people will say "its so obvious OL is our biggest need" or "we don't need any more WRs" or "this guy can play LT because he's athletic". Or my favorite "there's no difference between the top two DTs and the second round ones". These have never been good arguments and should be swatted. sorry you don't like that but maybe there needs to be a separate forum for the OL or die crew. I'll stay the hell out of that one.
It seems you are the one who's deranged with the thought of drafting a tackle unless he could start immediately. If Miami doesn't find a tackle in the draft this year, Miami might have to do exactly what you are hoping for next season. Start a rookie. At tackle. We'll see how that will go.
I have said many times, that it would be hard for me to be upset with what Miami does in this draft because they have many paths they could go down, and there should be good players available at many of those different positions, but you are the one that's loosing their sh*t over the idea of drafting an offensive lineman. I actually find it funny.

pass rushing DT
Edge rusher
third WR
Right Guard

third safety
I could definitely see Newton or Murphy as picks for the reasons you stated. Getting inside pressure is very important and that aspect of Wilkins game hasn't been replaced.

Hall, or Orhorhorro in the 2nd round are interesting for that reason as well.

Darius Robinson is one of my favorites and has the versatility to play end or tackle. He has some pass rush ability and maybe will develop more in that regard.

100% agree!!.

Back
Top Bottom