The All-Purpose Draft thread.... | Page 110 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The All-Purpose Draft thread....

My push for Chop Robinson is working under the assumption that Verse is off the board. If he’s there at 21, absolutely go there.
Dude you can't take Chop Robinson at #21. He is a 2nd rounder.

Something else that seems to be getting glossed over is Hill and Waddle were both at far less than 100% late in the season. Over the entire season, they were only on the field together 40% of the time. I'd estimate it was even less frequent in the last 6-7 games. That is why some folks want to see OBJ signed and Brian Thomas drafted.
I understand that point of view. But if I had to choose between a top OT and a WR this draft, I'm taking the OT. Fortunately I think we can maneuver and pick up both.

That’s fine but …

A) I’m not and haven’t seen anyone argue that arm length is the “end all” of evaluating players to play OT. You’re responding with a straw man. Or arguing against the air. Now, it is a factor. But just one of several. The shorter one’s arms the more difficult it is to keep the defenders arms from getting into your chest and then he has an advantage. And of the top 15 rated win rate OTs at ESPN (not a perfect stat but useful for individuals) none have arms under 33 1/4. Again, not saying it’s the end all. Just a factor as part of the evaluation.

How many pro bowl OTs in the last decade plus can you name who had arm lengths under 33 inches? (Barton’s are 32.88). And that’s a goal in selecting a player in round 1.

Only one I can recall is Joe Thomas. But exceptions are not the norm. There just aren’t many who are successful at OT in the NFL with arm length under 33 inches. The prototype is 34 plus is all I’m saying. Just like there aren’t many edge rushers with a 1.70+ 10 split.

And …

B) you just completely ignored and never responded to the fact - which was the only real disagreement I had - that you kept saying over and over, in multiple posts, that Armstead was short armed like Barton when, in fact, he is not short armed like Barton. His arm length was 34.08. The two are simply not the same measurables physically. That’s all I’m saying.

Armstead is Uber strong in his upper body, along with his 4.71 speed, with 31 reps. When you watch him he uses his arm strength to perfection.

View attachment 168996

Unrelated to that there are plenty of smart evaluators who see Barton as an iOL. I do as well. And think he has a chance to be a really good one.
The mythical standard was 34" but then looking at some of the standouts now there are several under 34". Penei Sewell, Rashawn Slater for example were 33 1/4 and 33 respectively. Zach Tom is another guy that Barton reminds me of. He also has 33 1/4" arms and was considered relatively weak on the bench. 34" arms are an advantage but not some magical demarcation line. I don't believe it'll be any different with 33" or that the 1/8" or even a 1/2" difference dooms Barton.

It reminds me of when people would say "no QB's under 6'2" could succeed. Then it got moved to 6'0". But there were some idiots who passed on Russell Wilson b/c he didn't meet some threshold that used to be deemed important. For Barton, I agree that at worst he has potential to be a standout IOL. But to claim he can't also be a standout T is placing too much importance on an 1/8". Reality is that the situation he lands in is what will determine where he ends up. If the team he's on needs him to play T, he will. If it needs him at G or C, then he'll play there.

Off topic but about the draft,
Does the forum ever use a draft ticker or a countdown? Or maybe discord?
would be kind of cool to have a live feature doing real time updates

Top 50 draft busts of the last 50 years.

Just something to talk about it.

Jets have 4 of the top 29 on this particular list.

Dion Jordan checks in at No.19.

Justin Fields tied for 5th? That’s nonsense, with Trubisky at 39th? Ya right. Mitchell should be much higher than Fields, who shouldn’t even be on the list.

A lot of Bears, Bengals, Raiders and Jets on the board.

Last edited:
Off topic but about the draft,
Does the forum ever use a draft ticker or a countdown? Or maybe discord?
would be kind of cool to have a live feature doing real time updates

Not needed. The draft thread is its own ticker. The posts are fast and furious.

"Grier’s list. I suspect they like Darius Robinson a lot."

The last time we drafted a 'pass rusher' from Mizzery didn't turn out too well for us. Hard pass here, slow first step, low rep on the bench, and limited PR moves. If the top 2 edge are gone I'm on to another position, too many other needs. I'm not even sure edge is my top need.

About 10,700 minutes to go until we find out who we are selecting, give or take 20 minutes.

The Monday/Tuesday the week of the draft are the hardest to get through.

Thankfully my boss is a Bears fan and really into draft discussion, helps get through the day.

Top 50 draft busts of the last 50 years.

Just something to talk about it.

Jets have 4 of the top 29 on this particular list.

Dion Jordan checks in at No.19.

Justin Fields tied for 5th? That’s nonsense, with Trubisky at 39th? Ya right. Mitchell should be much higher than Fields, who shouldn’t even be on the list.

A lot of Bears, Bengals, Raiders and Jets on the board.
That was a ridiculous list.

I feel like we are not talking enough about Jared Verse. Almost every mock I've seen this week has us taking Verse.

I'm not a fan of taking defense in round 1, so this topic doesn't excite me at all but figured we should acknowledge his possibility of being the pick.
I wouldn't be surprised if Verse ends up being the first defensive player drafted. But, the fact that he is 24 may move him down the board. Absolutely love the player.

I remember the year Tennessee took Kearse. Everyone had them taking a receiver, but Kearse fell into their laps. He was an immediate difference maker.

You just never know what will happen.

Back
Top Bottom