The Guard Position | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Guard Position

I guess we look at data differently. I see Mixon and Jacobs getting first downs and moving the sticks. As soon as other teams took away Hill and Waddle, Fins couldn't get a 1st down.

Dolphins Other Receivers got receiving 1st downs at a MUCH higher rate than Mixon or Jacobs.

I think Trente Jones was at RT vs PSU when Chop was going around him like a traffic cone over and over.
The slow footed guys have little chance against NFL quality sub-package pass rushers... so they go undrafted.
I suspect this is why Mahogany slid so far down, the belief that he might be a little slow out of his stance.

Last year, during the offseason, I griped that we didn't have a real back up Center... we brought a couple in, but didnt keep them-- even trading Dan Feeney to the Bears.

I thought it was a mistake then, and I still think so today. I NEVER thought Uluave was an actual fit for our line, and ultimately they let him go too.

So now, we'll watch the newest UDFA Center, Andrew Meyer, who I think matches what we do. He's smaller and very mobile.

The Ohio State guy, Jones also might get a look, although I think he's mostly a Guard.

If they both fail, then I think we might need to swing a trade for somebody's Dan Feeney...
I thought it was a mistake to trade the only experienced backup center last training camp. But Dan Feeney became Malik Washington, so now, I'm glad we did.

It will be a numbers game on the OL. I liked how well Lamm played when needed last season, but with the selection of Paul, Lamm isn't even assured a roster spot. It could come down to Lamm vs Kion Smith competing for one swing tackle role.
Possible, for sure. Unfortunately, not sure how well either one, or even Paul for that matter, would do on the right side. Lamm is probably the best shot if we need a replacement for AJ, though Driscoll has played RT before, just not all that well. It might enter into the decisions, though.

The slow footed guys have little chance against NFL quality sub-package pass rushers... so they go undrafted.
I suspect this is why Mahogany slid so far down, the belief that he might be a little slow out of his stance.
Mahogany was a good example of a guy with holes in his game being overvalued by the media draft gurus and hence many fans.

Dolphins Other Receivers got receiving 1st downs at a MUCH higher rate than Mixon or Jacobs.
Thanks for the conversation, but you will not change my mind that the Fins need other options, or strategy when 1 and 2 don't come through, otherwise they will suffer the same fate as last year.

I think there is one flaw in lumping all of the other Dolphins receivers into one pot and then saying they were third option on those plays.
Many times, they probably were first or second option... despite Hill and/or Waddle on the field.

Yes, they were more effective than some realize, but I do think you have to attribute some of their successes to scheme.

I think there is one flaw in lumping all of the other Dolphins receivers into one pot and then saying they were third option on those plays.
Many times, they probably were first or second option... despite Hill and/or Waddle on the field.

Yes, they were more effective than some realize, but I do think you have to attribute some of their successes to scheme.

That’s the case with any receiving comparison. Everyone is sometimes a primary option. But it wasn’t often that Cracraft or Smythe were the No. 1 option. I’d be willing to bet more of the targets to Mixon or Jacobs were designed screens than the passes to Smythe or Cracraft were designed to go to them.

That’s the case with any receiving comparison. Everyone is sometimes a primary option. But it wasn’t often that Cracraft or Smythe were the No. 1 option. I’d be willing to bet more of the targets to Mixon or Jacobs were designed screens than the passes to Smythe or Cracraft were designed to go to them.
One of my complaints about Smythe's usage last year was that he'd see a couple of designed targets early in the game... then nothing later.
He'd catch a pass or two, then disappear. It was weird.

I think we’ll sign a vet. If we don’t, it’s because we like Robert Jones. I don’t understand the appeal with him.
The Dolphins should sign a vet, but not because of Jones but because of Eichenberg and Wynn. IMO, Jones is better than either Eichenberg or Wynn and has been for the past two years. I would personally prefer to go into the season with a signed vet and Jones starting and Wynn as a backup and Eich in a different uniform.

The Dolphins should sign a vet, but not because of Jones but because of Eichenberg and Wynn. IMO, Jones is better than either Eichenberg or Wynn and has been for the past two years. I would personally prefer to go into the season with a signed vet and Jones starting and Wynn as a backup and Eich in a dif!ferent uniform.
Giddyup-now you're talkin'

From my friend on a different forum:
"I'm not concerned about the IOL. Wynn, Jones, Cotton and Eichenberg all got significant snaps at OG last year and Wynn and Jones were solid IMO. Eichenberg was bad at OC, which wasn't surprising because he had never played there before, but he was OK at OG. I don't think Cotton is good, but Driscoll has played decently at OG in the past.

Wynn, Eichenberg and Jones played 973 snaps at OG last year and had 19 blown blocks, for a blown block rate of 1.9%. That's good. Very good, in fact. Only 16 individual OGs with 200+ snaps had a blown block rate of 1.9% or less. Eichenberg's blown block rate at OG last year was 0.9%, which was 3rd best in the league. Robert Jones was at 2.1%, which was 21st best. Wynn was at 2.4%, which was 37th best.

At RG, Eichenberg had just 1 blown block in 141 snaps, which was 2nd best in the league among guys that had 100+ snaps at RG. At LG, Robert Jones had 2 blown blocks in 142 snaps, for a blown block rate of 1.4%, which was 5th best in the league. And while Lester Cotton was bad at RG, at LG his blown block rate was a very solid 2.0%, which was 14th best in the league.

Even with Eichenberg's struggles at OC and the Lester Cotton snaps at RG, the IOL was a part of the offense leading the league in yards, 2nd in points, 1st in passing yards, 1st in PBE, 1st in rush YPC, 1st in rush TDs, etc."
but we shoulda drafted a gaurd
Sad Fetal Position GIF by Adult Swim

Back
Top Bottom