Trade down with #21 | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down with #21

I don't know, I could see it both ways. Maybe you can't trade a pick that isn't officially yours however you could word a trade that your trading your lowest pick in that round, if you anticipate having multiple picks in that round. At that point I would assume the league would put a freeze on your pick to ensure you have at least one pick to give up.
Teams can trade the picks but no comp picks have yet been awarded for this offseason. Its all vaporware until the NFL announces them and that occurs the following offseason. I think they have some play time mechanics that can affect the formula.

So while those in the know project us to have two 3rd rounders next year, it won't become offical until next March-ish.

I could see dropping down to the 29-32 range and taking Kingsley Suamataia, or Patrick Paul. Could go a little lower for more 3rd/4th rounders but would lose the 5th year option.
It brought a smile to see your post just now, as I have been reading up on Kingsley Suamataia.

I would not even be mad if we picked him at 21 - almost a perfect fit for us and a very high ceiling with just a bit of coaching to get him there.

I'm a fan.

Just saw the article Grier said teams were calling about us giving up pick 21.
What player available then would they want?
If we go OL, especially G/C, I would trade back. If we want a true tackle, I probably would not.
Depends on who is on the board at the time. There are a lot of OL's in that area of the draft that fill our needs. There are couple in the 2nd 3rd round area that are interesting.

Stay put no matter what... That's just me though. Let's not outsmart ourselves. Take the dude that can make an impact and play the board as it falls.
I would normally agree but after we pick at 55, we're sitting out 100 picks. That's a ton of talent coming off the board that we would be getting none of. Trade back from 21 to 26 or 27 and we can snag another highly rated player. At 26 or 27 we could see Barton sitting there or one of the premier DTs or Tackles, perhaps an Edge guy falls like Chop. At 55, we could do it again, go to 59 or 60 and grab another top player. I hope we go heavy in the trenches, we are in bad need of more talent on the oline and dline. Draft a top Guard while you're at it. Not a Tackle that we'll stick at Guard for a year but a legit Guard who's somebody in the Zach Martin mold, we really need a guy like this for toughness in the run game. If we can run the ball at will Tua and the passing game will eat teams alive. You can't stop everything!! With the right draft we can have an awesome oline with depth!

I will play devil's advocate and say we move up a couple of spots (roughly) by including a 2025 3rd if someone we really really want is there.

**Pure uneducated speculation on my part. I take no responsibility if you choose to use this speculation to place a bet or take out a 3rd mortgage on your van down by the river.
It is ridiculous to already give up on Cam Smith.
I agree, but after Iggy, and how slow AJ was to develop I understand the feeling.
At #21 Nix might be on the board.

Brian Thomas Jr. Could be the hot ticket at #21 teams like KC and Buffalo are WR desperate.

So, the other 50% of the 1st round picks are failures?

Then that makes FA even more attractive.

Wait a minute, wait a minute; haven't we already added a lot of FAs on short, low-cost contracts this season?

So, you are saying Grier really knows what he is doing! - LOL
Based on historical averages, only 50% of first round picks become SOLID starters in the NFL. I would assume that would mean 50% of first round starters end up either being backups or below average starters for a few years or don’t last very long in the NFL.

Yet the percentage of those players drafted in the first round end up being solid starters much more than any other round. That is why I prefer they keep a first round pick instead of trading out of the first round to pick up additional picks in the 3rd or 4th round.

Obviously later round picks and UDFA’S can overcome the percentages to become quality starters in the NFL. Yet first round picks have proved over the years to have more success in the NFL than those players selected in later rounds or undrafted players.

Just saw the article Grier said teams were calling about us giving up pick 21.
What player available then would they want?
If we go OL, especially G/C, I would trade back. If we want a true tackle, I probably would not.
if troy fautanu falls to miami, take him. If such top ol talent is already picked or DT or pass rushers gone, then trade down

Trade back but stay in the first round. I'd only accept deals that help us now, not next year. In other words of a team wants to move to 21 and offers us a very late first rounder and a 3rd rounder for next year go back and get a pick out of them for this draft, this year and let them keep their 3rd rounder for next year. We almost are forced to trade back because after we pick at 55 our next pick is 158. Do we really want to sit there and watch every team in the NFL get better except us? That's over 100 picks, we can't do that. This is a deep draft, especially for our needs in the trenches. If we play it right we can replace Wilkins and fix our oline once and for all and grab a TE.

Trade back but stay in the first round. I'd only accept deals that help us now, not next year. In other words of a team wants to move to 21 and offers us a very late first rounder and a 3rd rounder for next year go back and get a pick out of them for this draft, this year and let them keep their 3rd rounder for next year. We almost are forced to trade back because after we pick at 55 our next pick is 158. Do we really want to sit there and watch every team in the NFL get better except us? That's over 100 picks, we can't do that. This is a deep draft, especially for our needs in the trenches. If we play it right we can replace Wilkins and fix our oline once and for all and grab a TE.
Would I rather have more picks? Sure.

But Im not about to trade away a shot at a starting caliber guy for 2 crapshoots that will probably play special teams at best.

Trade up and get the player you want.

I got 5 QB's 3WR 2 Edge 1 TE and 5OL's then 2 CB 1 DL = 19 If there's a run on WR's or CB's we have a pretty good pick waiting at #21 with the possibility of the trade down, stay in the first, still get a good talent and a 3rd round pick. That sounds like a Grier move to me.

I doubt Grier would trade back before the draft. He may have an agreement in place should certain players not be available. My guess is that if any of the "F" tackles or Latu are there, there's no way Miami trades back. Latham and Barton are two others that might be on their don't trade back list.

Back
Top Bottom