Trade down? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down?

Jssanto

Club Member
Reaction score
Today I see several articles about us trading down. If we were to do that, what positions would be more likely to have high talent available at the end of the first or higher in the second?
The draft is supposed to be deep at WR, swap for WR 3 pic?
Would IOL be as good at 40 as at 21?
A trade if:
1. A guy we really like has unexpectedly fallen to that pic at 21, then no.
2. We were going G/C with that first pic and we feel the same about 5 or 6 players likely to be there when we do pick. Then yes.
3. A last second offer from someone is too good to pass. Then yes.

It honestly depends on how the draft goes and "who" is available at 21. If a team is in full fledged panic mode over a player they have to have and Miami thinks they can move back and still grab a position of need, absolutely take the draft capital.

Arizona intrigues me, I could see them moving around on day 1.

There will be a loads of quality interior
talent, even a tackle or two late in 1st, 2nd round that can be thought as starting, and possibly more quality.

WR/TE will still have plenty of talent that Miami could use, if they should be interested.

Safety/Corner will probably still have plenty of starting talent worthy of the 1st round.

Quality might go down a bit with DT, and Edge.

LB might be more 2nd round then 1st.

And if we needed a QB, the ones that could turn your team around fast might all be gone, but as has happened again and again, just because the QB you take is or isn't a 1st, does not guarantee that player will succeed or fail because of when he was taken.

Top punters and kicker will still be there, but doubt anyone will take one. šŸ˜ƒ

I would like to trade down but it takes somebody who wants to trade up with us and will give us the kind of draft capital that makes it worthwhile trading down. It also depends on who is available to us and how the draft plays out ahead of us.

Here is a dilemma. What if the Bills want to trade up with us and Brian Thomas is on the board? Would you trade down with them knowing we will have to face him twice a year for the next several years? Lets say they offer us picks 28 and 60.

There will be a loads of quality interior
talent, even a tackle or two late in 1st, 2nd round that can be thought as starting, and possibly more quality.

WR/TE will still have plenty of talent that Miami could use, if they should be interested.

Safety/Corner will probably still have plenty of starting talent worthy of the 1st round.

Quality might go down a bit with DT, and Edge.

LB might be more 2nd round then 1st.

And if we needed a QB, the ones that could turn your team around fast might all be gone, but as has happened again and again, just because the QB you take is or isn't a 1st, does not guarantee that player will succeed or fail because of when he was taken.

Top punters and kicker will still be there, but doubt anyone will take one. šŸ˜ƒ
Exactly. Everyone says BPA +/or Need unless there is some stud who falls. When it comes to the interior line this year, you can move back and not sacrifice too much drop off on the BPA end.

Today I see several articles about us trading down. If we were to do that, what positions would be more likely to have high talent available at the end of the first or higher in the second?
The draft is supposed to be deep at WR, swap for WR 3 pic?
Would IOL be as good at 40 as at 21?
A trade if:
1. A guy we really like has unexpectedly fallen to that pic at 21, then no.
2. We were going G/C with that first pic and we feel the same about 5 or 6 players likely to be there when we do pick. Then yes.
3. A last second offer from someone is too good to pass. Then yes.

To state the obvious, it depends on who falls (someone always does) who wants to trade, how far down the trade will take Miami, and the return on picks of the trade. Given all that, and assuming no one Miami HAS to have falls to #21, I'd be willing to trade, but not too far and not for a 2025 pick. Miami has serious needs at 2-4 positions, so there should be a target available.

Well, recent events have helped Miami, quite significantly IMO.

Miami is truly set up for BPA.

Also, with the addition of Weaver... Teams have to respect Miami may go Defense.

Surprise surprise, Dejean just had a phenomenal workout.

Supposedly Philly is big on dejean

Miami has an opportunity to possibly trade down with Philly. And not for a swap of 2nds.

No no, you want Dejean OK. 21 and 143 for 22 and 53. If not, that's OK, Miami will be very happy with Dejean in their secondary. Sure, we can add on one of our 3rd round comp picks next year to make you happy

I will be very happy with Dejean at 21 or JPJ/Barton/ Morgan at 22.

Don't believe anything you read this time of year.

The biggest drawback of trading down out of the first round is you lose the 5th year on the rookie contract, so if we're trading out of the first, that better be taken into consideration when figuring out compensation.

Don't believe anything you read this time of year.

The biggest drawback of trading down out of the first round is you lose the 5th year on the rookie contract, so if we're trading out of the first, that better be taken into consideration when figuring out compensation.

Good point. That 5th year will come in handy if we find a keeper.

I think a trade down is the most realistic end result for Miami. Grier needs to add a pick or two in a talented draft class.

I'm not sure who is on Miamiā€™s "can't pass up" list, but otherwise I think you move off 21.

As far as targets later in the first round, maybe Guyton, Morgan, Frazier, Beebe, Mitchell, Legette, Franklin?

Some of those players are listed as top 40, but bottom of the 1st isn't a big stretch.

I would like to trade down but it takes somebody who wants to trade up with us and will give us the kind of draft capital that makes it worthwhile trading down. It also depends on who is available to us and how the draft plays out ahead of us.

Here is a dilemma. What if the Bills want to trade up with us and Brian Thomas is on the board? Would you trade down with them knowing we will have to face him twice a year for the next several years? Lets say they offer us picks 28 and 60.
It's a good question. I think if Thomas is there you take him. He definitely has rare measurables and production too (17 touchdown receptions).

But, at 28 and 60 maybe you get Morgan at tackle and Legette or Coleman at wide receiver? Got to weigh that.

I'm willing to trade back but wait till we're OTC to see who's on the board first. The best two positions in this draft are OL and WR so we could move back and still get a good player at one of those two but it'd be hard to pass on Fautanu if he's there at 21 but again, you have to see who else is still on the board........I'm hoping 20 QB's will go top 20 so that we can pick whoever we want at 21

I've said I would trade down (a little, like 5 to 10 spots) with all of our first 3 picks.

sexy pig GIF

BUT...

As we get closer to the day of the draft, I truly believe at #21 we are in a very good position to have a blue chip player fall to us that we didn't expect.

The Ravens seem to have this happen to them alot and this year I think it's us that gets lucky.

Who knows maybe Bowers falls to 21 in a Shocker or something else crazy.
hope GIF

I'm willing to trade back but wait till we're OTC to see who's on the board first. The best two positions in this draft are OL and WR so we could move back and still get a good player at one of those two but it'd be hard to pass on Fautanu if he's there at 21 but again, you have to see who else is still on the board........I'm hoping 20 QB's will go top 20 so that we can pick whoever we want at 21
100% @Danny . Look no further than that early draft trade by Jimmy in '98 , never want to see that again. Let the board develop and somebody will get desperate.

Trade down at least once, then go DE, OL, LB, WR, CB, RB.

I like getting players that get to the QB before the QB puts the ball into our secondary. Front 7 rules!!

Back
Top Bottom