Trade down? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trade down?

Today I see several articles about us trading down. If we were to do that, what positions would be more likely to have high talent available at the end of the first or higher in the second?
The draft is supposed to be deep at WR, swap for WR 3 pic?
Would IOL be as good at 40 as at 21?
A trade if:
1. A guy we really like has unexpectedly fallen to that pic at 21, then no.
2. We were going G/C with that first pic and we feel the same about 5 or 6 players likely to be there when we do pick. Then yes.
3. A last second offer from someone is too good to pass. Then yes.
Those individuals writing articles about the Dolphins trading down are merely expressing their own opinions.
They have no way of knowing which players will still be on the board when it’s the Dolphins pick at 21.

If there is a player they highly value on the board and they believe that trading down will likely cause them to lose that particular player, I believe they will draft that player even if there are teams offering them additional picks to trade down.

My opinion is the Dolphins will keep their pick at 21 instead of trading down. Of course my opinion is no more valid than those individuals who are expecting the Dolphins to trade down with their first round pick.

So like everyone else, I will just have to wait and see what happens on draft night and hope whoever they select will be able to come in and become an instant upgrade for the position the player was selected to play.

I would like to trade down but it takes somebody who wants to trade up with us and will give us the kind of draft capital that makes it worthwhile trading down. It also depends on who is available to us and how the draft plays out ahead of us.

Here is a dilemma. What if the Bills want to trade up with us and Brian Thomas is on the board? Would you trade down with them knowing we will have to face him twice a year for the next several years? Lets say they offer us picks 28 and 60.

Buck Fuffalo!

Trading down and picking up a third rounder while still in position to land someone like Darius Robinson, Xavier Legette, or Graham Barton would be ideal.

I’m only keeping the pick if Fautanu or BTJ make it to 21, and I’m very doubtful on either.

I would not draft Jared Verse at 21 overall.

100% @Danny . Look no further than that early draft trade by Jimmy in '98 , never want to see that again. Let the board develop and somebody will get desperate.
Randy Moss! Can you imagine Dan Marino and Moss? One of the biggest misses ever by Miami.

Last edited:
I'm willing to trade back but wait till we're OTC to see who's on the board first. The best two positions in this draft are OL and WR so we could move back and still get a good player at one of those two but it'd be hard to pass on Fautanu if he's there at 21 but again, you have to see who else is still on the board........I'm hoping 20 QB's will go top 20 so that we can pick whoever we want at 21
100% @Danny . Look no further than that early draft trade by Jimmy in '98 , never want to see that again. Let the board develop and somebody will get desperate.
agree with you, but if we can add a third rounder with Fautunu, Barton, JPJ available I would listen offers because if we trade back 4-5 spot we could pick one of them, after that we could pick BPA at WR and DE

Those individuals writing articles about the Dolphins trading down are merely expressing their own opinions.
They have no way of knowing which players will still be on the board when it’s the Dolphins pick at 21.

If there is a player they highly value on the board and they believe that trading down will likely cause them to lose that particular player, I believe they will draft that player even if there are teams offering
Brock Bowers!

If there is a player they highly value on the board and they believe that trading down will likely cause them to lose that particular player, I believe they will draft that player even if there are teams offering them additional picks to trade down.

My opinion is the Dolphins will keep their pick at 21 instead of trading down. Of course my opinion is no more valid than those individuals who are expecting the Dolphins to trade down with their first round pick.

So like everyone else, I will just have to wait and see what happens on draft night and hope whoever they select will be able to come in and become an instant upgrade for the position the player was selected to play.

Agree, but that's no different from those posting 2 rounds of mocks. Only difference I see is starting with the assumption of trading down. Both discussions are theoretical. My greatest hope is the prospect(s) who falls is at a position of need.

Exactly. Everyone says BPA +/or Need unless there is some stud who falls. When it comes to the interior line this year, you can move back and not sacrifice too much drop off on the BPA end.
If you look at the top 100 players in the draft, 1-50 are predominantly offensive players and 51-100 are predominantly defensive players. It depends on how the board falls draft day, but there is a much better chance a talented defensive player is on the board at 55 than one of the top IOL falling that far. Now if you include a trade down, I would imagine early day 2 is when the OGs will start to go. I’m all in favor of a trade down, but if we want a stud on offense we will probably need to stay at 21.

Randy Moss! Can you imagine Dan Marino and Moss? One of the biggest misses ever by Miami.
Actually JJ traded down with the Packers before the draft. I believe we were at 19 and traded down to 29. The Vikings took Moss at 21 I believe.

So we technically didnt pass on Moss but who trades down before the draft? You never know how the draft is going to play out ahead of you. Although JJ later said he still would not have selected Moss if we had stayed at 19, he would have selected the player the Packers selected with our original pick Vonnie Holliday.

And at 29 we selected John Avery, UGH!

Its really astonishing how many draft blunders the Dolphins have made over the years during several different regimes.

No wonder we have the longest playoff victory drought in the NFL.

Today I see several articles about us trading down. If we were to do that, what positions would be more likely to have high talent available at the end of the first or higher in the second?
The draft is supposed to be deep at WR, swap for WR 3 pic?
Would IOL be as good at 40 as at 21?
A trade if:
1. A guy we really like has unexpectedly fallen to that pic at 21, then no.
2. We were going G/C with that first pic and we feel the same about 5 or 6 players likely to be there when we do pick. Then yes.
3. A last second offer from someone is too good to pass. Then yes.
A qb will be there at 21 so you hope that someone is desperate. Powers Johnson should be there late in the 1st

Actually JJ traded down with the Packers before the draft. I believe we were at 19 and traded down to 29. The Vikings took Moss at 21 I believe.

So we technically didnt pass on Moss but who trades down before the draft? You never know how the draft is going to play out ahead of you. Although JJ later said he still would not have selected Moss if we had stayed at 19, he would have selected the player the Packers selected with our original pick Vonnie Holliday.

And at 29 we selected John Avery, UGH!

Its really astonishing how many draft blunders the Dolphins have made over the years during several different regimes.

No wonder we have the longest playoff victory drought in the NFL.
As an aside, I saw John Avery score on an 80-yard touchdown run in a preseason game at the old Candlestick Park in SF. Obviously, his preseason success didn't carry over to the regular season.

Can you imagine if JJ changed just two picks, Moss and Ray Lewis instead of Gardner. Might have made a super bowl run.

JJ also said he almost dealt up for Peyton Manning.

Back
Top Bottom