Who do you take? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who do you take?

Good question. Worthy drops a few more than I like, but his separation is really special and with those burners every play is a potential home run. Definitely reminds me of Hill.
Hill is built much differently than Worthy though. Hill is short, but he is jacked.

As far as value goes, at least drafting a CB makes sense. Iggy just didn't pan out, but I don't fault Grier for drafting one of the premier positions in the first round. The "expensive" positions, like QB, WR, OT, CB, and edge rushers are what you should be looking for in the first round. Especially in the top two thirds of the first round.
Here's what I fault Grier and the Dolphins for in that draft. They let an egomaniac coach, who had barely been a HC for a year tell them to draft a player in the first round who probably had a third round grade. You can say Flores had experience in NE's front office but he was a glorified DC who burned more than he built in Miami. I don't remember who the other corners available at spot 30 were in 2020 but Iggy was too raw to be a first rounder. I think he was fast and athletic but didn't have enough experience or production at Auburn to justify that pick

Here's what I fault Grier and the Dolphins for in that draft. They let an egomaniac coach, who had barely been a HC for a year tell them to draft a player in the first round who probably had a third round grade. You can say Flores had experience in NE's front office but he was a glorified DC who burned more than he built in Miami. I don't remember who the other corners available at spot 30 were in 2020 but Iggy was too raw to be a first rounder. I think he was fast and athletic but didn't have enough experience or production at Auburn to justify that pick
Grier is the type of GM that tries to get his coaches the guys they want to work with. I don't really fault him for that. It just doesn't work when your GM and head coach are at odds with each other. I think that’s what ultimately got Flores fired, thank god. I'm sure it was a collaborative decision. It just didn't work. It's not the first time a first round pick busted. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that particular draft turned out all that great for many of the CBs selected that year.

Thought from a new guy for whatever it is worth:

As a Georgia fan, I love Amarius Mims and he's not Isaiah Wilson, who was a first round bust of the Titans, but there are some similarities. He's RT only imo, who had 8 starts for Georgia and battled multiple injuries. I don't know if you could project him inside to guard like you can with Fatanu. I'm surprised so many sites including PFF have us taking Mims when it wouldn't make sense given the extension to AJ.

I think Fatanu is going to be great and it would be nice to kick him inside until he's ready to take over for Armstead or until TA is injured. Unfortunately, Troy killed it at the combine and I don't see him getting to us at #21.

Graham Barton would be fine, especially if we could trade down, get more picks and then take the versatile Duke linemen.

I also like JPJ but think Grier has tipped his hand by signing Aaron Brewer so quickly. The idea that they can move Brewer to guard isn't realistic to me as it seems like they had a plan as soon as free agency opened and executed it.

I like the idea of drafting a replacement for TA but think the team is in win now mode and unless one of the top LT's slips I don't see them reaching for Tyler Guyton who wouldn't add as much right away as an EDGE or third WR would.

If I'm Coach McLovin' I'm probably banging the table for a speed option at WR with some size as the Dolphin offense struggled when either Waddle or Hill missed time last season.

Love AD Mitchell who was a TD machine at both Georgia and Texas and brings 4.33 speed and much more size than the guys we have. Brian Thomas offers the same size and speed. Like Xavier Worthy but the drops and the similarities to the 2 starters at WR tell me he won't be the guy at #21.

I'd be curious what the drop off in talent between picks 21 and 55 are for DT, EDGE, WR and OL. In doing a little draft prep it seems to me that the biggest drop off between rounds 1 and 2 come at EDGE and OL.
Just curious. Why haven’t you been on this site before? You sound like a very educated and mature fan. I’m surprised you haven’t posted on here before. Your posts have been an enhancement to the site. I’m glad to have you here and look forward to your future contributions.

It kinda would but I think McDaniel is pretty good at looking at prospects and realizing which ones fit his system and can add new dimensions to his offense. I like Sanders but apparently he's not a great blocker yet, he has size, speed and great athleticism but seems to be more like Jonnu Smith than George Kittle. Maybe they want to run more 2 TE sets this year or see some potential in Sanders to become a great all-around TE. Smith is only on a 2 year deal.

I was very meh on Julian Hill last year and Tanner Conner seems like an egg that's never going to hatch. I have no idea who that KC TE we signed is but I've never seen him play a snap. I like Smythe but he's an average to slightly below average starter and you look at Buffalo, KC, Balt and some of the better AFC teams and they have multiple TEs who could start on most of the teams in the NFL. Isaiah Likely was a player the Ravens probably didn't need but damn did he look good when Andrews was out. He absolutely abused us. Envious when Buffalo took Kincaid and think he and Knox are both a handful for NFL db's and lbs to cover.

I'd be shocked if we didn't have 1 or 2 Texas Longhorns on our roster after the draft and think one of them could be Sanders.
Fair enough, I just don’t think it would be with either of our first two picks is all I’m saying. There is greater need and value to be had at other positions. The two TEs they added are way ahead of anyone they would draft, that’s a hard position to learn. OT, edge, cb, WR, and potentially DT I would see going ahead of any consideration for a tight end with an early round pick, but hey, you never know

Back
Top Bottom