Who do you take? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who do you take?

I would look to trade down with the 21st pick and see if we can pick up a 3rd. There will still be good options available in the late 20s.

Tyler Guyton is a similar prospect to Adarius Mims if we want to select a LT who can also play LG as a rookie.
Except Guyton and Mims don't play left tackle and I doubt either one of them would be good guards.

Latu, Latham and Mims are a hard pass for me at 21.

Latu is honestly a talented player, but I don’t think we need another EDGE with a medical history like Phillips. Beyond that, we have a ton of clear holes in the roster and it would not make sense to pass over an equally talented player in a position of need for a luxury 3rd EDGE player.

Latham and Mims are not a fit for our offense. Neither has any experience at LT and only Latham has played OG. Mims is way too tall to slide inside to OG.

If we go OL I would expect Barton, JPJ or Fautanu. Guys that have some positional flexibility, but will play IOL.

I do not think we will go DL in the 1st unless we LOVE a guy like Murphy. Baltimore has a long history of making day 2 and 3 guys into respectable Pros.
Agree with much of this except Latham. I think he would be more than fine for Miami and would easily select him at #21. I love Fautanu and think he would be the ideal pick for Miami at 21, but I highly doubt he is there when Miami is on the clock. I don't love Barton or JPJ if Miami stays at 21. Maybe in a trade down scenario, but if they trade down, I actually like Jordan Morgan better than both of them.
I also agree that Miami probably won't go DT in the first round. There should be good options at DT in the second round.

Barton isn't great as a tackle.
he's going to be a guard in the NFL and I think he's the type of player we need.....we want to get physical and he brings that to the table and while we might not translate to OT in the NFL, he can still help you there for a couple of games if you need him to.

he's going to be a guard in the NFL and I think he's the type of player we need.....we want to get physical and he brings that to the table and while we might not translate to OT in the NFL, he can still help you there for a couple of games if you need him to.
I actually like Jordan Morgan more. Morgan is much like Barton in that he projects as a guard in the NFL and I think he would be better at OT if you needed him to play there in a pinch.

The more I think about it I might just take Brian Thomas. He would be the BPA of the 4 listed players. He is 6'3 209 and he ran a 4.33. He could be a poor man's Justin Jefferson or Jamar Chase both also LSU alums. I don't think any of the other players listed have his upside.

Remember we made the mistake of reaching for need for Austin Jackson at 18 back in 2020 when we could have selected Justin Jeffferson. Maybe we could just overwhelm defenses with pass catching talent.

We also have to consider that Tyreek Hill will be 30 soon and he has been injured frequently and Jaylen Waddle will be a Free Agent next year and he himself has been injury prone.

There is some good talent available in rounds 3 and 4 so if we could trade down with our 2nd round pick and acquire an extra draft pick we could still address some of our other draft needs.
I suspect they quite like this guy:

Xavier worthy from UT. They were salivating over him at his pro day. 4.21 speed supposedly. Small’ish but a rocket with good hands they say.

I actually like Jordan Morgan more. Morgan is much like Barton in that he projects as a guard in the NFL and I think he would be better at OT if you needed him to play there in a pinch.
I think both project inside for sure....both have less than 33in arms so they’re guards in the NFL......I'd be ok with Morgan if we trade back.....I still like JPJ but I wanted him to be our center and after getting Brewer then JPJ would be a guard I guess.

I suspect they quite like this guy:

Xavier worthy from UT. They were salivating over him at his pro day. 4.21 speed supposedly. Small’ish but a rocket with good hands they say.

I hope they don’t like him so much that they'd take him with our top pick.....that'd be so dumb imo.....he's a gadget player and at 165lbs who knows how long he'll last.....not what I want with our top pick.

I hope they don’t like him so much that they'd take him with our top pick.....that'd be so dumb imo.....he's a gadget player and at 165lbs who knows how long he'll last.....not what I want with our top pick.
Maybe not 1 but 2nd pick or a trade up for him in the 3rd or something. Don’t kill the messenger…

Ok, but we have better OL coaching and some depth not to mention months to fortify this line. Taking an OL at #21 or even with first two picks doesn't guarantee we'll have a better OL. It often takes rookie linemen awhile to get used to the play speed and strength of opposing D-linemen and Edge rushers.
I think more OL is coming after 6/1 and we will spend one of the first two picks on an IOL.

I trust that this staff knows they can work with Aaron Brewer and will scheme to maximize his strengths and minimize the times he'll be overpowered by large DTs.

As much as I like Williams and Hunt (and Wynn) they were banged up a lot last year. Much of the fate of an OL is luck, keeping your line healthy and benefiting from continuity. We didn't have that last year but imo even with 12 or 13 different line combos we had a line who could pass and run block. Much of this was coaching and schemes but we did see better play from AJ and Eichenberg. Imo, Miami had horrible OL coaching and development in the past and hopefully we've turned the corner there but how many times did Miami invest high picks or free agent dollars on linemen at the expense of better players at other positions?

This team still has lots of needs and can't focus solely on their OL, especially in the draft. Fans have to realize that their HC and GM aren't as obsessed with putting five first round picks on the OL as they are.

For everyone who says "we have enough speed" did you miss the games when Waddle and/or Hill were not available? They are the focal point of this team and offense and are both used in many ways that will expose them to big hits. Throw in Waddle's upcoming free agency and Hill's off the field adventures and you realize taking a WR, especially one with more size and a different skill set than WR1 or 2, is a pretty good idea in this draft.

I'm not saying Miami will definitely do it but if they do (and the value at WR for pick #21 matches up) I would be on board. You can make the argument that that player, even in a third down role, would contribute faster and more than a rookie OL would.

This is an excellent post! Thanks for all the contributions to this thread

If Miami went that route, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I think that Worthy would essentially replace Hill in a couple of years.

But, for now, and current fot I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't like it. They're already the fastest offense in NFL history. They need skill guys to complement Hill and Waddle imo.

Back
Top Bottom