DT Teair Tart is signing with the Dolphins | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DT Teair Tart is signing with the Dolphins

5 sacks in his final year, and he lacks elite size.

Good, not elite. I wouldn't take him in the first, but someone will.
Sacks are often circumstantial. I'd rather look at total pressures (sacks+hits+hurries) on a per-snap basis. YMMV. He generated one pressure every 6 snaps last season, and one every 7.6 snaps the past two seasons combined. For an IDL those are great ratios.
6'1 and 308 or so is not a bad size. Elite when it comes to size is subjective. What is the perfect height? The perfect weight?
Wilkins is 6'3, 310, with 32.5" arms. Is that elite? Well, it was elite enough anyway, based on his NFL career so far.
Murphy has 32 3/8" arms. Less than the thickness of a #2 pencil difference. So, Murphy is two inches shorter and the weight and arm length are so near the same it is not anything to quibble about.
Also, Wilkins' VJ was 29.5 and Murphy's was 33". Wilkins' BJ was 8'11, and Murphy's was 9'3. They both did 28 reps on the bench.
It looks like Murphy makes up for being 2" shorter by being able to jump 3.5" higher.

Sacks are often circumstantial. I'd rather look at total pressures (sacks+hits+hurries) on a per-snap basis. YMMV. He generated one pressure every 6 snaps last season, and one every 7.6 snaps the past two seasons combined. For an IDL those are great ratios.
6'1 and 308 or so is not a bad size. Elite when it comes to size is subjective. What is the perfect height? The perfect weight?
Wilkins is 6'3, 310, with 32.5" arms. Is that elite? Well, it was elite enough anyway, based on his NFL career so far.
Murphy has 32 3/8" arms. Less than the thickness of a #2 pencil difference. So, Murphy is two inches shorter and the weight and arm length are so near the same it is not anything to quibble about.
Also, Wilkins' VJ was 29.5 and Murphy's was 33". Wilkins' BJ was 8'11, and Murphy's was 9'3. They both did 28 reps on the bench.
It looks like Murphy makes up for being 2" shorter by being able to jump 3.5" higher.
I'll stand on what I've said... despite your tranche of numbers.

I think he's a little small at less than 6'1", and I'm no fan of drafting DTs early. I wouldn't draft him. Someone will. Indeed, I hope both he and Newton get selected before we draft; this way more top prospects slide down. Hell, I hope Verse and Latu fly off the board as well.

I'll stand on what I've said... despite your tranche of numbers.

I think he's a little small at less than 6'1", and I'm no fan of drafting DTs early. I wouldn't draft him. Someone will. Indeed, I hope both he and Newton get selected before we draft; this way more top prospects slide down. Hell, I hope Verse and Latu fly off the board as well.
Short does not equal small in of itself. Compact? Dense? Okay. 6004 at the Combine. Big whoop. In football trench warfare that can equal natural leverage and their is the old adage, "low man wins".
Tranche? LOL.
But I try to not wish too hard for any one or two players or any one position. That is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

If there were a slam dunk pass rushing DT, then I'd be all for it, but honestly... I don't see one.

Oh, there are a couple who might work out... but an elite prospect? ...and that's what a true pass rushing DT is, elite. These guys are unicorns, they are few and far between.

I think a lot of people are projecting their WANTS on to the DTs who are available. Seeing what they wish was there, instead of what was. Because, let's be honest, if the scouts around the league judged ANY of these DTs to be an elite pass rusher, they'd be a top 8 pick... they are THAT rare.

Nailed it.
Moderators, triple points for this post are justified!

I think a lot of people are projecting their WANTS on to the DTs who are available. Seeing what they wish was there, instead of what was. Because, let's be honest, if the scouts around the league judged ANY of these DTs to be an elite pass rusher, they'd be a top 8 pick... they are THAT rare.

DING DING DING... that's exactly what they're doing, whether they want to admit it or not.

DING DING DING... that's exactly what they're doing, whether they want to admit it or not.
I don't buy that nonsense one iota. So, if I think Murphy or Newton are worth the 21st pick, I'm just subjectively projecting my WANTS, and not thinking clearly, just because I do not agree with Fever?? ROFLMAO!!
Not all elite IDL pass rushers go in the Top 8. Let's make that clear.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Byron Murphy II emerges as a standout defensive tackle in this year's draft class, primarily due to his exceptional abilities as an interior pass rusher. His technique, explosiveness off the line, and ability to navigate through tight spaces draw a parallel to the elite level of play seen in NFL superstars like Aaron Donald. Murphy's knack for collapsing the pocket from the inside and creating havoc for quarterbacks and running backs alike sets him apart as a defensive prospect. His pass-rushing skills are not just effective; they're game-changing, allowing him to disrupt offensive schemes and force adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Jer'Zhan Newton, despite being on the smaller side for a defensive lineman, stands out for his dynamic play at Illinois. His ability to hold his ground against the run, coupled with his agility, makes him a versatile defender. Newton isn't just about brute strength; his mobility allows him to move, making plays all along the line.

Newton shines in his pass-rushing role, where his quick hands and diverse skill set come into play. He's adept at using a variety of techniques to get past blockers, combining agility with elite flexibility for a player of his size. This makes him a consistent threat in the backfield and an outstanding interior rusher.

I don't care what you buy or not. The NEED at IOL for this team is greater than your WANT of a DT replacement for Wilkins. Period.

God, I cringe every time I see that pic. You're not supposed to shave a husky like that unless there's a medical reason. It screws up their coat.
We own a Malamute and she's a runner. I can't tell you the amount of times I've been tempted to shave the misbehaving bitch.

I don't care what you buy or not. The NEED at IOL for this team is greater than your WANT of a DT replacement for Wilkins. Period.
IOL is very likely a greater need, but that was not in question. It was saying those of us who consider Newton and Murphy as being good values aren't thinking straight because our craving for one of them is so great we cannot look at things objectively. I would rather take an IDL than take an OL of lower value if the ones ranked above Newton and Murphy are gone. Reaching for need at OL gives you Billy Milner instead of Derrick Brooks and Vernon Carey instead of Vince Wilfork.

Back
Top Bottom