Greg Van Roten, RG from the Raiders... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Greg Van Roten, RG from the Raiders...

How do you even know? He’s played 146 snaps at right guard in his life, and according to PFF, he graded out as an excellent pass blocker and good run blocker for those 146 snaps.

It’s quite possible—likely, even—that he will perform very well at RG given a stable offseason to prepare for it.
Dude, he was absolutely atrocious at LG which is not so different from RG. And yes, I have access to those stats as well, and they are not excellent. Furthermore it was against the Raiders and the Jets. Kudos for you for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but all signs point to an ejection after next year. These are not the stats of a good player.

kdkSBqO.jpeg

Dude, he was absolutely atrocious at LG which is not so different from RG. And yes, I have access to those stats as well, and they are not excellent. Furthermore it was against the Raiders and the Jets. Kudos for you for giving him the benefit of the doubt, but all signs point to an ejection after next year. These are not the stats of a good player.

kdkSBqO.jpeg
He was atrocious at LG. We agree on that. But it was his first time ever playing guard at any level, AND it was in a brand new blocking scheme. He had no reasonable chance at success in 2022.

I think he’s going to be a very pleasant surprise to many this year.

He was atrocious at LG. We agree on that. But it was his first time ever playing guard at any level, AND it was in a brand new blocking scheme. He had no reasonable chance at success in 2022.

I think he’s going to be a very pleasant surprise to many this year.
Again, kudos to you for holding out hope. But this guy has sucked at every single position on the line they have tried him at so pardon those of us who are "reluctant to accept" he will be good at this one.

Again, kudos to you for holding out hope. But this guy has sucked at every single position on the line they have tried him at so pardon those of us who are "reluctant to accept" he will be good at this one.
It's not the craziness thing to hope for. Olinemen do usually get dramatically better after their first couple years. Lots of crappy linemen turn into serviceable pros, if given enough time in the league to get stronger and better at their technique.

 Hope is the key word here though.

Hoping Eichenburg is a quality starter is miles away from relying on him as "etched in stone" starter.

I think it's almost a lock we take a Olinemen with our 1st or 2nd round picks.... And that linemen will most likley be good enough to start right away.... And Eichenburg is our worst linemen on paper.

I'd honestly be surprised if Eichenburg starts week 1 and if he is starting it's prob because one of the actual starters is already hurt.

A lot of us felt the same way about Austin Jackson going into last season.

Eichenberg was an early second round draft pick and was considered a very safe choice. He came in as a rookie and was our starting left tackle. Then the next year, we asked him to learn an entirely new system while playing left guard for the first time in his life. Then in 2023, we asked him to play center and right guard (both also for the first time in his life) while fighting through lower body injuries.

This is the first year he actually gets to go into a season as a veteran playing a position he’s played before. I have a feeling people are going to be very pleasantly surprised by his 2024 performance.
Sorry I don't! I'm all positive vibes when it came to my Fins.

I would rather fill our depth with the draft. Both tackle and Guard positions.

I'd like to see preseason continue with a lot of cheap "prove it" deals with older vets. We can then "cherry pick" the draft for the best of the BPA's available at each of our selections.

Trading down to increase our number of draft selections is also a good idea.

This RG spot is our only downgrade on offense right now.

Yes, I would really like to see that!

Too many posters here are down on Eichenberg for his weak history here, but he did actually grow and improve last year - a point many here ignore in order to justify their whining over his previous poor performance.

Get used to our new draft picks taking two to three years to develop into solid or better than solid NFL players while we continue to use short term, low cost prove it deals to available vets.

Yup. Why not give his $3.4M non-guaranteed salary to someone with a much higher grade?

As it stands now, he's probably the worst of your 22 starters. That would seem like a priority for me.

What is there to like though?

Those "know it all's" in the FO seem to know more than you do. I mean we have just made it into the playoffs two years in a row even though we were hampered by an extreme level of "key player injuries".

Wither you realize it or not, more than half of the NFL teams wish they had that going for them.

For some reason that really seems to "steam your beans". - LOL

Too many posters here are down on Eichenberg for his weak history here, but he did actually grow and improve last year - a point many here ignore in order to justify their whining over his previous poor performance.

Get used to our new draft picks taking two to three years to develop into solid or better than solid NFL players while we continue to use short term, low cost prove it deals to available vets.

You’re subscribing to the hope theory I see.

O Linemen are just...odd. Some can switch from the left side to the right side without a hiccup. Some can't. Some can play guard or tackle. Some can't. Some can actually play all three interior positions. Some can't.

Isaiah Wynn, for example, is solid on the left side of the line - he was a pretty decent LT for the Pats and an above-average LG. But he can't play a lick at RT. The Pats refused to acknowledge this and let him go. (I could do a whole diatribe on the Pats' OL arrogance after Scarnecchia left.)

Eichenberg seemed at his best at RG; maybe he's found a home there. I honestly have no idea what happened with him - he was pretty highly ranked as a LT prospect coming out of Notre Dame. Additionally, 2024 will be the first year in a DECADE that Miami has the same OL coach for two years in a row. A little continuity should help.

Not to mention it was his first year of actually getting coaching

Back
Top Bottom