How Cam Cameron Became Our Head Coach | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Cam Cameron Became Our Head Coach

We were screwed that off season. We should’ve signed Tomlin in hindsight. But at the time, Cam was the hot coordinator. For some reason we were hesitant to hire him. We were choosing between Jim Mora Jr & Mike Shula. Huizenga didn’t want to fire Mike so they circled back to Cam. When Cam called the preseason game from booth & wanted Ronnie Brown to return kicks I knew we were in for a long season

We were screwed that off season. We should’ve signed Tomlin in hindsight. But at the time, Cam was the hot coordinator. For some reason we were hesitant to hire him. We were choosing between Jim Mora Jr & Mike Shula. Huizenga didn’t want to fire Mike so they circled back to Cam. When Cam called the preseason game from booth & wanted Ronnie Brown to return kicks I knew we were in for a long season
Someone advising Huizenga during the head coach search told him Tomlin was "too hip-hop". So, Wayne decided not to hire him. I forgot the guy's name but I would know it if I read it again.

Was it Bryan Weidmeier?
No, that is not the name. After some Google searching I found it. It was then-CEO Joe Bailey. There may have been others who thought it, but he was the one whom Greg Cote mentioned who was heard saying it.

True but we all wanted Brady Quinn at the time. Ginn was a better pick
I expected it to be Brady after seeing the names already picked. I was working that day and just picking up updates throughout the day, every hour or so. But...I wanted Patrick Willis or Adam Carricker if they had asked me. But when I got a chance to see an update that I knew would include Miami's pick, I've never been more shocked in my life at a Dolphins 1st Round pick.

Revisionist history is a funny thing. Cam Cameron was Offensive Coordinator for 5 years in San Diego for some really good offenses, including most of LT’s most successful seasons.

That’s why the Dolphins hired him.

I expected it to be Brady after seeing the names already picked. I was working that day and just picking up updates throughout the day, every hour or so. But...I wanted Patrick Willis or Adam Carricker if they had asked me. But when I got a chance to see an update that I knew would include Miami's pick, I've never been more shocked in my life at a Dolphins 1st Round pick.
Quinn fell to us and everyone thought that would be the pick. I was shocked it wasn’t Quinn but I liked Ginn. In hindsight it should’ve been Willis

Back
Top Bottom