How would getting a 1st rd 3rd WR change our scheme? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How would getting a 1st rd 3rd WR change our scheme?

Lots of teams do that.

Jimmy traded our #1 for a number #2... twice.
but most of the time you end up losing......JJ traded a 1st to take Surtain in the 2nd so of course that one worked but most of the time it doesn’t ....btw, what was the other time JJ did that? I really don’t recall

but most of the time you end up losing......JJ traded a 1st to take Surtain in the 2nd so of course that one worked but most of the time it doesn’t ....btw, what was the other time JJ did that? I really don’t recall
Ugh... now you are gonna make me look it up... hold on... let's see if dementia and beer have dulled my memories...

Brb

I think anyone who says “everyone just wants the flashy toys” doesn’t realize that our flashiest toy is only here for another season or 2

I think anyone who says “everyone just wants the flashy toys” doesn’t realize that our flashiest toy is only here for another season or 2

He'll be here two more years and will command a bulk of the targets, as he should. Thats a long time to groom a 3rd WR who'll get 3-5 targets a game when your OL stinks.

Considering we have a butt load of flashy toys already, protecting the QB long enough to utilize those toys is a no brainer.

Flashy toys don't mean squat when you can't block, just ask the Niners, it cost them a Super Bowl.

We traded down for John Avery and we traded down for James Johnson. We traded up to get Rob Konrad though, traded 54, 84 and a 2000 6th rounder to move up to 43. Ouch, how times have changed. Looked that up of course.

We traded our 2000 first rounder to select Surtain in 1998.

In 1999 we traded out of the first round completely. Trading down with SF and then again with Detroit.

You may be right.. I see lots of trades, but not another one like i thought.

There may have been just the one. I retract the 'twice'.

We traded down for John Avery and we traded down for James Johnson. We traded up to get Rob Konrad though, traded a 54, 84 and a 2000 6th rounder to move up to 43. Ouch, how times have changed. Looked that up of course.

We traded our 2000 first rounder to select Surtain in 1998.

In 1999 we traded out of the first round completely. Trading down with SF and then again with Detroit.
people always think about us trading down and drafting Avery and they think we'd have drafted Randy Moss if we had stayed at 19 but JJ have said many times he'd have drafted Vinnie Holliday if he had stayed at 19 and not Randy Moss.

The offensive line has to be a priority. That said, Thomas is extremely appealing and Hill likely plays for only two more years. It would be a move that is forward thinking.

Whether it's the best move, depends on who else is available. And, of course, how highly Miami ranks Thomas. Is he substantially better than what the team could get in round two?

A Thomas pick in the 1st, followed by an offensive lineman (best available) in the second could work.

...and lastly...

Wynn was NOT great.

Over and above the fact that he is a walking injury (He's played more than 10 games only one time in his five seasons), his PFF score was 47.8.

Think about it, he played when our line was at full strength... and STILL achieved that horrible score. He was the weak link, even at full strength. I understand that people hate Eichenberg, but Wynn was 1) made of glass and 2) worse.

There is absolutely no dimension or reality in which Wynn was worse than Eichenberg.

You can bring PFF scores until your keyboard catches fire. The OL was considerably better with Wynn than without it.

The misconception that I think still persists is this...

Many here think that a 3rd WR would provide a great deal of statistical value in our offense, but if you actually look at NFL statistics, the 3rd WR on most of the TOP teams, you will see that the guy averages 2-3 receptions per game and less than 500 yards per year.

Indeed, most teams have a TE as their 2nd or 3rd most targeted player.

It just doesn't happen.

There is absolutely no dimension or reality in which Wynn was worse than Eichenberg.

You can bring PFF scores until your keyboard catches fire. The OL was considerably better with Wynn than without it.
Nope...

What made the line better was the other 4 guys were still healthy. Wynn wasn't a good guard. You've been captured by a narrative.

people always think about us trading down and drafting Avery and they think we'd have drafted Randy Moss if we had stayed at 19 but JJ have said many times he'd have drafted Vinnie Holliday if he had stayed at 19 and not Randy Moss.

Once the draft is over I never go back and look at what we could've done. I am a fan of leaving the past in the past and ALWAYS looking to the future.

The misconception that I think still persists is this...

Many here think that a 3rd WR would provide a great deal of statistical value in our offense, but if you actually look at NFL statistics, the 3rd WR on most of the TOP teams, you will see that the guy averages 2-3 receptions per game and less than 500 yards per year.

Indeed, most teams have a TE as their 2nd or 3rd most targeted player.

It just doesn't happen.

And then you combine that with the fact that we have Mostert and Achane and you're talking about a WR3 being like the 6th option for this offense. Spending the 21st pick in the draft on a guy to be that instead of on a guy who will block 70 times a game is just bonkers. Even a backup edge rusher will see 5 times more action than a WR3.

Back
Top Bottom