Ranking the top 10 AFC QB's on talent | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the top 10 AFC QB's on talent

Sniffing The Rock GIF

I'm smelling Wolverine fan all over this. Stephen Ross is that you?
And yet is is all true.

Are you a Wolverine fan?
Yes. And I can still speak the truth about Michigan. All the crap the NCAA/BIG pulled has pretty much everything to due against JH and not so much Michigan. JH is just a weird guy in general and a lot of times doesn't play nice with the higher ups. Just watch all the stupid investigations will quietly go away now that JH left. The ongoing Burger gate and steal gate will end up a minor press release of basically closed case time served by JH. Notice you heard crap out of the NCAA/BIG office on a weekly basis (most of which leaked to Thamel, dude reported JH suspension before UM was even notified) and the moment JH is gone nothing from them anymore.

Herbert, Lawrence & Allen all look the part aesthetically. I would include burrow in this discussion but he actually made a Super Bowl. They look like a franchise qb is supposed to but they all low key don’t perform like one. Meanwhile, Tua is a left handed 6’1 Hawaiian qb and has statistically outplayed them all over the past two years

Except that Tua is not Hawaiian.

Otherwise. All good.

Thanks for the input and post.

Talent and potential are irrelevant. The only thing that matters are results. And I don’t mean team results when it comes to evaluating an individual player.

In general, don't talent and potential eventually show up in stats?

AFC only

1 Mahomes
2 Burrow
3 Allen
4 Stroud
5 Lamar
6 Tua
7 Lawrence
8 Herbert
9 Rogers
10 Russ
This seems pretty solid. Although I think I would like to see another season of Stroud performing like he did last year to solidify that spot at number 4.

Except that Tua is not Hawaiian.

Otherwise. All good.

Thanks for the input and post.
Of course he is. That's where he was born.

That's like saying he isn't American.

He is of Polynesian decent, and may identify as "Samoan", but that is a cultural construct, not "what he is" literally.

What people really mean by talent is usually arm strength and size... Unironically, overrating those 2 aspects is very much at the top of the list of things responsible for 90% of early QB picks bust rate.
Dead on

In general, don't talent and potential eventually show up in stats?
Talent maybe, but, IMO, whenever someone refers to potential, by definition it means a possibility that has not yet been realized.

I’d prefer to never hear the word potential when it comes to Tua, because that means he’s not doing whatever he has the potential to do yet.

Talent maybe, but, IMO, whenever someone refers to potential, by definition it means a possibility that has not yet been realized.

I’d prefer to never hear the word potential when it comes to Tua, because that means he’s not doing whatever he has the potential to do yet.

Can't disagree, but by definition, all rookies are evaluated on 'potential' and talent

What people really mean by talent is usually arm strength and size... Unironically, overrating those 2 aspects is very much at the top of the list of things responsible for 90% of early QB picks bust rate.
talking in general.

Size has 0 to do with talent.

You could be a big and sloppy and it’s not getting you any points in the talent dept.

Qb talent, is a combination of throwing talent, mechanics, motion, release quickness, athletic ability to maneuver and make plays, and the level of mental acuity to process the game.

If by "talent" we mean "who would you steal if you could" I'd go like this:

1 - Mahomes

Clear and obvious. At the top by a country mile.

2a - Allen
2b - Burrow

Allen has regressed as a passer but he's still so transcendently-talented and capable of carrying a team on his back I think basically 31 teams would be happy building around him. Like it or not, Allen's a star who's physically unmatched (outside of Mahomes). With Burrow you worry about the random injuries but his clutch factor is undeniable. He's lifted one of the least-respected franchises up into relevancy.

4 - Stroud

Sometimes rookies catch the NFL off guard so we don't know quite yet what he is and he doesn't bring a ton of mobility, but how can you not be curious, especially on a rookie deal!

5a - Jackson
5b - Tagovailoa
5c - Herbert

This is honestly the point you start debating whether you want to re-sign these guys or just build anew with someone else who's cheap and doesn't have any limitations that've already been exposed. Jackson has mobility that wins in the regular season. Tua has efficiency that shreds lackluster opponents. Herbert is tough and has the physical traits you want. None have really lifted their teams.

My thinking here is that all 3 are proven to be productive (in different ways), but all 3 are now prohibitively expensive and can too easily be contained in big games because defenses know what's coming and none of the 3 really have any sort of counter-punch.

Herbert's been healthy and has overall volume to lean on statistically but he's not "winning" with anything in particular which leads to debate about his value. Jackson has won multiple MVP awards but he's come up short in the Playoffs numerous times. Meanwhile, Tua has done nothing in Nov-Jan to really prove he's an elite who can lift his team and he'll constantly keep you worried about injuries while having little mobility to lean on in big moments.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Tua's most exciting games were against these QBs: the Ravens in '22 and the Chargers in '23 but that he's got a 1-6 record against the big boys (Mahomes, Allen and Burrow) in those same 2 years. Herbert isn't much different. Jackson is the only one who consistently beats Burrow (at least in the regular season).

8 - Deshaun Watson

Deshaun Watson has the talent to be up there as "2c" but he seems to have lost the magic.

9a - Trevor Lawrence
9b - Russell Wilson
9c - Aaron Rodgers
9d - Jimmy Garoppolo

Trevor Lawrence has underwhelmed on his rookie deal with Eli-type production and is on the verge of becoming too expensive to be worthy of keeping versus starting fresh with a new prospect. While Russell Wilson's not going to carry your franchise he's always going to put up efficient passer ratings and is the type of veteran that will give a solid team a fighting chance. That said, he's prohibitively expensive and already 35yo. Aaron Rodgers won MVP awards as recently as '20 and '21 but he seems to be on the decline with major questions about his health, commitment and overall ability. Garoppolo will always have health concerns and is clearly a QB who leans on his ability to efficiently manage a game.

13a - Anthony Richardson
13b - Will Levis

Jury's out.

Last edited:
1. Mahomes. 2. Burrow. 3. Jackson . 4 Rogers. 5. Allen 6. Lawrence. 7. Herbert. 8 Tua.9. Stroud 10. Watson
IMO, Stroud and Tua before Lawrence. Based solely on arm talent, accuracy. Herbert is not as accurate as either. Rodgers isn’t the same Rodgers… until he is. Let’s hope he’s not, or the Jets will be 11-6, despite their HC. Same as Dallas, which wins DESPITE McCarthy.

Back
Top Bottom