Ranking the top 10 AFC QB's on talent | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ranking the top 10 AFC QB's on talent

I'm surprised people still view Watson as a top 10.

I'm surprised so many people down-play how stunning he was in Houston as a young QB:

2017 - 103 rating (4-12)
2018 - 103 rating (11-5 >> Wildcard loss)
2019 - 98 rating (10-6 >> Wildcard win)
2020 - 112 rating (4-12)

Through his first 4 seasons he was a stud who was considered among the most physically-talented and exciting QBs in the NFL. He was always making heroic plays to lift his team.

And in fairness, the Cleveland situation is a mystery. For whatever reason, he's only played about 11 full games since joining the Cleveland Browns across 2 full seasons.

I think you have to assume Watson snaps back to reality at some point. His past two years have been pretty disappointing compared to his Houston years.

> He played 6 games in 2022, posting a 79 rating.
> He played 5 full games in 2023 resulting in an 84 rating.

The Browns made the Playoffs last year so the possibility for Watson returning to some kind of form and the Browns being an impressively strong team is certainly there.

Not to mention that being in the Top-10 isn't very impressive when you realize the AFC only has 14 starting QBs. The Broncos and Patriots don't even have starters right now.

Last edited:
I'm surprised so many people down-play how stunning he was in Houston as a young QB:

2017 - 103 rating
2018 - 103 rating
2019 - 98 rating
2020 - 112 rating

Through his first 4 seasons he was a stud who was considered among the most physical talented and exciting QBs in the NFL! And he's only played about 11 full games since joining the Cleveland Browns.

I think you have to assume Watson snaps back to reality at some point. His past two years have been pretty disappointing compared to his Houston years.

> He played 6 games in 2022, posting a 79 rating.
> He played 5 full games in 2023 resulting in an 84 rating.

The Browns made the Playoffs last year so the possibility for Watson returning to some kind of form and that Browns being a strong team is certainly there.

Not to mention that being in the Top-10 isn't very high when you realize the AFC only has 14 starting QBs. The Broncos and Patriots don't even have starters right now.
Sure but I'm not putting Wilson in there for how he did with Seattle either.

if you're going off talent alone then that's a bit subjective. Someone could view arm strength and athletic ability (Lawrence) more than accuracy/anticipation skills (Tua). And vice versa.

Sure but I'm not putting Wilson in there for how he did with Seattle either.

That's another one. I don't get the Russell Wilson hate.

The guy posts a 98 rating (8th) with 26 TDs (4th in %) and 8 INTs last year and people act like he's Daniel Jones.

Over-priced? Sure. But a bad QB? No way!

There's a lot of people who use their own personal feelings to create these lists.

That's another one. I don't get the Russell Wilson hate.

The guy posts a 98 rating with 26 TDs and 8 INTs last year and people act like he's Daniel Jones.

Over-priced? Sure. But a bad QB? No way!
Fair enough, and as Blake pointed out Watson being top 10 in the AFC isn't unfair. I stand corrected.

I would put Stroud at the top 3. The way he totally dominated the league in his first year with rookie WRs and a pretty bad team is unprecedented. I think he could easily be the top QB in the next two years. Actually he is so good that I think Diggs will see an upgrade from Allen who is pretty darn good also. I think 9 of the top 10 play on the AFC. Only Purdy (NFC) makes my list and he is a system QB. I’d put Tua at the 7-8 range right now. Mahomes, Stroud, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Purdy, Rodgers, Tua, Lawrence and Herbert.

You cant deny his talent. The ranking is based on talent alone, not success/wins/etc.
I can. Talent alone did nothing. You want examples? JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, David Carr,E J Manuel, the list of talented QB's that never make it is long and littered with QB "tombstones". That kid has done nothing...

talking in general.

Size has 0 to do with talent.

You could be a big and sloppy and it’s not getting you any points in the talent dept.

Qb talent, is a combination of throwing talent, mechanics, motion, release quickness, athletic ability to maneuver and make plays, and the level of mental acuity to process the game.
Totally agree...But to most people, even the ones you see on TV, The "Big guy with a strong arm" is their definition of QB talent.

I think 9 of the top 10 play on the AFC. Only Purdy (NFC) makes my list and he is a system QB. I’d put Tua at the 7-8 range right now. Mahomes, Stroud, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Purdy, Rodgers, Tua, Lawrence and Herbert.

I think people's attitudes will slowly balance out in the next couple years regarding AFC and NFC QBs. The AFC is probably a bit over-rated based on the presence of Mahomes (and to a lesser extend Allen) as well as some recency-bias stemming from things like Burrow's heroic 2021 Super Bowl run. Add in Lamar Jackson's MVP years and there's a lot of hype. You could even add Rodgers joining the Jets given how that dominated the off-season headlines and all the talk shows.

The NFC guys tend to be somewhat under-rated compared to how they actually stack up statistically. Very few people are watching the NFC's best since many are mid-west (Dal) or west-coast (SF).

Also, you just don't hear people talk about the NFC guys. Dak Prescott and Kirk Cousins were Top-3 in passer rating. Jared Goff and Derek Carr were both Top-10. Who's hyping up those guys? Goff helped the Rams to the Super Bowl and the Lions to the NFC Championship and he gets very little love.

Consider these 2023 stats:

> The top 3 rated passers last year were all NFC guys: Purdy, Prescott & Cousins.
> 5 of the top-10 were NFC so it was 50-50.
> 11 of the top-20 were NFC so it's super balanced all the way down, too.

Going back to 2022:

> 3 or the top-5 rated QBs were from the NFC.
> 5 of the top-10 were NFC.
> 11 of the top-20 were NFC.

Last edited:
I can. Talent alone did nothing. You want examples? JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Vince Young, David Carr,E J Manuel, the list of talented QB's that never make it is long and littered with QB "tombstones". That kid has done nothing...

Tom Cruise What GIF

How can you compare Herbert to those guys? Herbert has more TD passes in a single season than most of those dudes entire career. The Herbert bias is crazy here, I guess some are in denial that Tua was part of a really special QB draft class.

Now I have to ask....how would you describe a talented QB in the NFL and what do you judge their success on? Usually its wins or statistics.

Back
Top Bottom